Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2011, 13:32   #271
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 695
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

^^ Zen does have thermostat - mine does cut off if set at low fan speed or if the outside temp is lower. I've a tachometer installed and other than the engine response I can confirm it through the RPM change.
Although you can't change the cut-off temp except by changing fan speed.

Last edited by archat68 : 18th May 2011 at 13:33.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 21:18   #272
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,478 Times
Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Zen and most of the AC vehicles from MUL with manual aircon controls have just thermostat cut off ie when the grill temp is achieved it will cut the compressor off. But its not variable, ie you cant control the cut off temperature of these thermostats. But these can be added easily if need be.


Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
Yeah, prevention better than cure. Jaggu, any idea how much would be approx estimate ( Pair of MGP drive shafts + labor). Heard there is one another brand than delphi, not recollecting the name though. Welcome your inputs.

In case you in bangalore would be knowing some better mechanics and service center.

rgrds
prsn
Delphi is a reputed brand no harm. Approx cost was around 3K per shaft plus 500-800 of labor when i checked last couple of years back.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th May 2011 at 21:23.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 19:38   #273
BHPian
 
sanjusahu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 28
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

i have this 2000 MPFi zen...when i switch on the AC its gives me a loud grrrrrrrrrrrr noise around the compressor... is anyone facing the same issue...can someone suggest me wht need to be checked when i visit a mechanic...next...dont want to take a free ride from this mechanic.....

Note from Moderator: Please do not......type......like.....this. Thanks
sanjusahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 20:06   #274
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,742
Thanked: 2,872 Times
Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjusahu View Post
i have this 2000 MPFi zen...when i switch on the AC its gives me a loud grrrrrrrrrrrr noise around the compressor... is anyone facing the same issue...can someone suggest me wht need to be checked when i visit a mechanic...next...dont want to take a free ride from this mechanic.....

Note from Moderator: Please do not......type......like.....this. Thanks
Is the noise persistent? If it is only when you switch the a/c on, it is just the compressor starting. Pretty harmless.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 20:12   #275
BHPian
 
sanjusahu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 28
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is the noise persistent? If it is only when you switch the a/c on, it is just the compressor starting. Pretty harmless.
this noise is persistent throught out when the AC is running cooling is great but this noise is very bothering at times. visited gomes auto at santacruz but he was like you will have to live with it, even if we fix it will come again in few months

sorry moderators
sanjusahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 22:11   #276
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 695
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Get the compressor bearings checked by another AC mechanic.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 22:28   #277
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,113
Thanked: 582 Times
Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

My Zen suddenly developed some problems this morning. She was running fine all this while and suddenly this morning when i started the car, it was mis-firing (lot of vibrations) and white smoke from the exhaust. I was getting a lot of petrol smell as well. It is on true value warranty so took the car to MASS. They said that water has entered the spark plugs and tried cleaning them.

I had got my car pressure washed about 3-4 days back and they had cleaned the engine bay as well, so though it was an effect of that. The spark plug cleaning did not work, so they replaced the spark plugs. The vibrations stopped but there was still white smoke and on close inspection petrol coming out of the exhaust.

The SA then told me that they need to check to see if there's a problem with the injectors. I had to leave then as it was going to take time. He later confirmed that the injectors were fine and that one of the injectors was continuously spraying fuel, so there is a short somewhere in the electrical circuit and that they have to strip the whole car's wiring to check. He says worst case, its the ECU.

Has anybody else faced a similar issue ? I'm praying its not the ECU..

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 10th June 2011 at 22:31.
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 22:46   #278
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,446
Thanked: 4,057 Times
Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
He later confirmed that the injectors were fine and that one of the injectors was continuously spraying fuel, so there is a short somewhere in the electrical circuit and that they have to strip the whole car's wiring to check. He says worst case, its the ECU.
Its highly unlikely that an injector go on spray fuel. IMO, it would cause severe damage rather than just white smoke.

As for the ECU, try resetting it. ie, unplug the battery terminals, and then switch on some electric equipment and wait for about 30 mins. Reconnect the ECU, any error codes, if present, should be cleared.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 22:22   #279
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

what is the oddo reading. Sorry to say but white smoke is bad news.

and i doubt and never heard of petrol coming out of exhaust
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 00:28   #280
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,113
Thanked: 582 Times
Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
what is the oddo reading. Sorry to say but white smoke is bad news.

and i doubt and never heard of petrol coming out of exhaust
Ya. I figured that out today. Its literally pouring fuel out of the exhaust. They say one of the engine valves has bent. I'm still wondering how can the engine valve bend during regular running ? Is it possible ? And the most surprising part is the car showed no signs at all and was running fine all along. The odo reading is 62xxx.

The car is under true value warranty, so they should cover all repair FOC.
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 20:14   #281
BHPian
 
myashu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

I have a 1995 Dec make Zen MH410 run for 1.78 Lac KMs. I have lost the confidence of taking it on long drives. In past 2 yrs I have spent more than 30K on the car for something or the other. It got completely shut down once in a desolated stretch since the shaft broke and bearings flung into air. I had problems with AC and got the condenser replaced and the gas refilled. I had so many electrical problems, fuse burnouts and total blackout in the wake of darkness. Fixed everything one by one as it came. Still it has lot of problems. How do I make sure it goes on well for say another 3 yrs more? Is it time for me to sell it off? :(
For the last 1 yr I am seeing Oil leakage on the engine cover and dripping onto the ground. Its like a very slow drip, 3-4 drops in say 10 hours or so. There is some problem with the gear box is what Mechanics say and that could be reason for oil leakage. I hear some sound when I put the 2nd gear too. I sense this as a threatening behavior and want to do a good service of the machine. I expect the car go on for next 3-4 yrs.
Looks like I need to do a good overhaul of all the moving parts. Steering Column is worn out and suspensions are crap and hence change all of them. I can feel the minor road ups and downs on my steering :( Seats are torn with 0 elasticity and needs to be replaced. I have been told that shaft can break again because suspension is completely gone. Nobody can just touch it as they are scared. Should I really replace everything? I am all confused. Should I spent around 50K to repair all these if it can run for another 3 yrs or just sell it off?
Please enlighten me oh fellow BHPians...
myashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 22:14   #282
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by myashu View Post
Should I really replace everything? I am all confused. Should I spent around 50K to repair all these if it can run for another 3 yrs or just sell it off?
Please enlighten me oh fellow BHPians...
i have my first car still with me and done 2.11 lac kms done. at 2 lac kms i overhauled the engine, it has a dedicated thread somewhere.

With around 50k and a good mechanic, this car can me brought back to life easily as parts are very cheap.

Keeping or selling the car is up to you. Please post some images including engine bay etc.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 15:34   #283
BHPian
 
myashu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
i have my first car still with me and done 2.11 lac kms done. at 2 lac kms i overhauled the engine, it has a dedicated thread somewhere.
SirAlec, thank you. I was searching for the threads cudnt find anything. Do u remember the thread name? I see there are none, attributed to this, started by you. Anyways i will search.

Will post the pics soon. I think I will go for an overhaul rather than sell it, coz i cant buy a new one. Dont wanna invest on a 2nd hand tho.
myashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 22:43   #284
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by myashu View Post
SirAlec, thank you. I was searching for the threads cudnt find anything. Do u remember the thread name? I see there are none, attributed to this, started by you. Anyways i will search.

Will post the pics soon. I think I will go for an overhaul rather than sell it, coz i cant buy a new one. Dont wanna invest on a 2nd hand tho.
Show it to a trusted garage. He will give you a list of solutions including the cost involved. And post it here for opinion with other zen users.

There are detailed numerous makeover/overhaul threads here in our forum use the search function.

PS: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...d-project.html (2lac+ kilometers m800 engine rebuild project.)
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 10:07   #285
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,113
Thanked: 582 Times
Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
My Zen suddenly developed some problems this morning. She was running fine all this while and suddenly this morning when i started the car, it was mis-firing (lot of vibrations) and white smoke from the exhaust. I was getting a lot of petrol smell as well. It is on true value warranty so took the car to MASS. They said that water has entered the spark plugs and tried cleaning them.

I had got my car pressure washed about 3-4 days back and they had cleaned the engine bay as well, so though it was an effect of that. The spark plug cleaning did not work, so they replaced the spark plugs. The vibrations stopped but there was still white smoke and on close inspection petrol coming out of the exhaust.

The SA then told me that they need to check to see if there's a problem with the injectors. I had to leave then as it was going to take time. He later confirmed that the injectors were fine and that one of the injectors was continuously spraying fuel, so there is a short somewhere in the electrical circuit and that they have to strip the whole car's wiring to check. He says worst case, its the ECU.

Has anybody else faced a similar issue ? I'm praying its not the ECU..
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Ya. I figured that out today. Its literally pouring fuel out of the exhaust. They say one of the engine valves has bent. I'm still wondering how can the engine valve bend during regular running ? Is it possible ? And the most surprising part is the car showed no signs at all and was running fine all along. The odo reading is 62xxx.

The car is under true value warranty, so they should cover all repair FOC.

I got my car back yesterday, after more than a week at the service centre. They finally traced everything down to one of the injector wires that was shorting it seems. But to trace the problem they opened up my engine head and said the gasket also needed to be changed.

They also changed the alternator and compressor belts, o-rings, some oil seals and something else (cant remember now) for the idling.

The car does feel smoother now and i had to pay 2700 for the whole thing. The SA says i saved more than 12000 bucks because the car is under true value warranty !

My new alternator belt is making noise at idle (like its rubbing against something), but the SA says since the head was opened and the belt is new, it will take about 2 days to set (???)... but lets see if it disappears after some running.

The bad bits now - they dirtied the seat fabric real bad with oil stains on the front seats and bent my jack. Took this up with them - cleaning they gave some story, but agreed to replace the jack.
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America vivekiny2k The International Automotive Scene 5960 11th December 2017 11:41
Sunbeam Rapier Series 1 - Advice on Restoring and Maintaining Jehan-Sam Post-War 74 25th November 2015 08:45
Zen and the Art of Buying your First Car the_trooper Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 30 21st March 2013 18:16
Cleaning and Maintaining Head Units souravbasu In-Car Entertainment 43 13th November 2009 23:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:31.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks