Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th April 2014, 11:03   #346
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Thanks. Since I will be getting a complete painting done, is there some graphics stuff that I can throw in?
I am not keen on getting stickers like you see on Altos and the Estillos.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 11:08   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Good luck with your project. I had a 97 Zen with zero rusting issues and sold only because of weak AC. Wish we had retained it. Its a terrific car.
Almost in the same boat. Have a 2002 Zen but even the road side AC service guys don't seem to have R12 gas for its AC. The car is other wise terrific and literally a sprinter, but the cooling has gone for a toss. Complete installation of a R134a system, according to MASS will cost about 35-40K which is way too much to spend on a 12 year old car.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 11:57   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Complete installation of a R134a system, according to MASS will cost about 35-40K which is way too much to spend on a 12 year old car.
Check the cost for converting the system to R134a with guys who do car AC servicing. IIRC, it cost me around 12k when I did it in 2009 or so. Some of the parts are same for both systems and need not be replaced. It is working perfectly fine in my case for the last 4-5 years. It was a no brainer in my case since one of the R12 part had broken and needed replacement so half that amount would have gone for the equivalent R12 compatible part even if I had decided to stick to R12 back then.

I think MASS quote is for replacing every part with the newer system's as these guys don't really have an idea about which parts can be reused and which cannot. They are playing safe as always by suggesting to replace everything. Another reason for the higher quote in MASS is that the spares like condenser carry a premium as an MGP part. The same Subros condenser I think used to be available outside at a lower price - only difference being the MGP branding on the cover.

Last edited by zenren : 4th April 2014 at 12:05.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 12:12   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Check the cost for converting the system to R134a with guys who do car AC servicing. IIRC, it cost me around 12k when I did it in 2009 or so. Some of the parts are same for both systems and need not be replaced. It is working perfectly fine in my case for the last 4-5 years.
Thanks. I think finally I will go that route only, but reliability concerns play at the back of my mind. And since, I fortunately have a very good MASS to take care of my car, which is also Maruti Service Masters (MSM), I will always be skeptical taking the car anywhere else. But on the other hand, spending ~40K is no brainer for this car as I said earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I think MASS quote is for replacing every part with the newer system's as these guys don't really have an idea about which parts can be reused and which cannot. They are playing safe as always by suggesting to replace everything.
They definitely have idea that which parts can be reused, but as you said, they always play safe. There are many parts which are changed by all service centres and not only MASS instead of cleaning/servicing and then reusing them, just because of reliability aspect. If any problem crops up due to refurbished/ re-used parts in the system, then an average Joe will always blame the ASC. Also, since labour charges are based on time per hour too, and the service guys have other vehicles to attend, they prefer to change the parts and set the wheels rolling. Win-win situation for both parties most of the times.
The summers have already set in our part of the country, hence I need to find a fix soon. Last year, I got the R12 gas drained out and they filled R134a with proper oil. System had improved that time a little. But still it was not chilly. Lets see if I find a solution. Will surely update when such a job is carried out.

Also, since I know the guys at the MASS well, I had asked them to arrange the system from any written off car. Keeping fingers crossed.
Thanks for your suggestion though.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 4th April 2014 at 12:15.
Old 7th April 2014, 13:53   #350
BHPian

Hi all
I have a 97 carburetted zen. it was standing still for some time, about 7 months, as I was out working. Now I started it on 2nd April and it took some time to start. I thought since it was lying around for some time hence the problem. But since past couple of days I observed that the engine running is jerky, starting is taking a long time and if the engine is revved blackish smoke coming from the exhaust pipe.
Today again it started after a long time and kept stalling each time the car was stopped at signal or traffic. i.e the engine would run when revved but will not idle.
Took it to the closest service center knowing they r not good but I really did not have a choice.
They told me the carburetor needs to be overhauled.
I also observed that when the engine was stopped petrol was flowing out of the primary jet.
I am told 3 numbers of MGP carburetor kits are required.
Any thing else I should look into. Elders please advice.
norhog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 15:59   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
They told me the carburetor needs to be overhauled.
I also observed that when the engine was stopped petrol was flowing out of the primary jet.
Does not look to be a serious problem. The Zen carb is pretty easy to clean and till now parts for the Mikuni carbs are available. Check the 2nd butterfly valve as well when you are cleaning the carb. In carb fed Zen's, a sticky 2nd butterfly was a very common feature - just needs a thorough cleanup to set it right again.

Most important is the TUNING after the cleaning procedure is over, especially the air-petrol mixture. Make sure your guy is an expert on tuning carb engines because tuning a carb engine for smooth running involves a lot of "feel" during the tuning process, especially setting the idling mixture.
Get the ignition timing checked too. Should be around 10deg+/-1deg BTDC. And, if possible replace the spark plugs & check all the plug / high tension wires, distributor cap for potential cracks etc.
Your Zen should be good to rock !

Last edited by arjab : 7th April 2014 at 16:02. Reason: added lines
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 16:30   #352
BHPian

Hey thanks arjab. Found the problem. Defective gasket on the acceleration fuel pump. Check the pic.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140407_162856.png
Views: 542
Size:  587.0 KB
norhog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 10:22   #353
BANNED

Hi Guys,

Need quick advice with my new Zen (2005 pre-owned).

Took delivery of the vehicle yesterday, and took her for a spin on the highway. This is what I observed, on pushing the car the engine revs high but the speed does not seem proportional to the revving. Dont have a Tacho in the car to verify the speed to rpm ratio.

Hence wanted to know what could be the issue. I plan to send the car to servicing over the weekend and get a tune up and throttle body clean-up done. Hoping that should help.

Also wanted to know if anyone changed their zen carpet (not mats)? If yes, what was the price for the same. can local garages do the same at a lower price??
2000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 11:06   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Hi Guys,

Took delivery of the vehicle yesterday, and took her for a spin on the highway. This is what I observed, on pushing the car the engine revs high but the speed does not seem proportional to the revving. Dont have a Tacho in the car to verify the speed to rpm ratio.

Hence wanted to know what could be the issue. I plan to send the car to servicing over the weekend and get a tune up and throttle body clean-up done. Hoping that should help.

Also wanted to know if anyone changed their zen carpet (not mats)? If yes, what was the price for the same. can local garages do the same at a lower price??

If Revs are high and you do not see equivalent speed/torque then it is mostly clutch issue, do get that checked. Also if you havent done carb top cleaning get that done too due to deposits blocking jets.
devrajman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 12:07   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

As Devraj suggested, the symptoms point out to a clutch issue. May be the clutch plate has lived its life and needs to be changed.
Old 10th April 2014, 08:15   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Looks like a clutch issue here.
Was gear box oil or engine oil topped up recently higher than usual??
Check the oil quality in the gear box. If the gear box is noisy due to a worn bearing or something the mechanics top it up with thicker grade of gear box oil to reduce the noise.
Do check for oil leakage from gear box shaft seal in the bell housing or signs of oil leak from the engine side flywheel.
If oil leak is there it will show up as lot of dust accumulated on the inside of the gear box bell housing after it is opened.
I faced a similar problem after my mechanic topped up the gearbox oil, after an oil change, with more than usual oil by opening the air breather pipe on top of the gear box. His logic was the reverse idler gear gets more oil this way. After that I faced a similar problem.
Hope this helps. Please post the results.
Thanks and happy driving

Last edited by norhog : 10th April 2014 at 08:17.
norhog is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 06:44   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Almost in the same boat. Have a 2002 Zen but even the road side AC service guys don't seem to have R12 gas for its AC. The car is other wise terrific and literally a sprinter, but the cooling has gone for a toss. Complete installation of a R134a system, according to MASS will cost about 35-40K which is way too much to spend on a 12 year old car.
What about the duPont MO49 replacement option? I read in the other thread that it is safe and reliable.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-banned-4.html (Correct Gas for AC- Is R12 banned?)
hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 12:06   #358

Trying to restore a 99'Zen.

History: The car was starting without any battery issues (battery - 6 years). Occasional coolant boils and over-flows.AC not working. The engine Note is peculiar "like a blocked pipe sound". Major scratches.

Last Month, gave the car at ABT Guindy, Chennai for service. Did the 1year service just to get it to a drivable condition.

Service : After the initial inspection, the SA gave an estimate for 38K without Battery replacement. He said the entire wiring needs to be checked and it will take a day. I agreed and suggested him to repair/replace parts which are essential for every-day short commutes and then other repairs can be done in stages.

Next Day Delivery: SA was off and delivery was done by another SA. SA mentioned that the car is weak (Rude) and battery is dead. I asked him whether wiring was re-checked. There was no satisfactory reply. So I assumed only half work was done and hence wiring may not be proper. Also he informed the radiator fan is occasionally running and need to change the motor urgently but they did not have stock. Ultimately the car became non-drivable. I placed the car at home and traveled out of Chennai. I am available only once a month in Chennai during weekends.

Today I called MASS and they are avoiding my calls and not responding.

Could you guys direct me to a reliable Auto-works near Teynampet to immediately check the wiring and also the radiator issue for double confirmation.

Also, please review the quote attached and let me know which ones are absolute must without double inspection.
Attached Thumbnails
Zen and the art of maintaining it-zen.png  

hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 01:33   #359
BHPian

Friends, Seek your advice on whether I should go in for Bumper repainting. One Paint shop said that it is pointless to paint the existing bumpers. I tend to agree with him, because the front one has slightly cracked during a head-on. Also the existing paint on the bumper didn't have the primer applied. So naturally it has tend to chip off at many places.

I am not very particular of the looks, but the current condition of the bumpers is very odd. Also I need to get the dent & paint work done on the right side panel.

Either I need to replace both the existing bumpers with the MGP - black colour & leave it as it is. Cost Rs. 2,500 to 3,000 for both.

Or, I guess I need to replace the front bumper & get it painted with primer this time. Cost 4,500/- (+/- 500). Will leave the back one as it is, since I may try out some innovative stickering

Regards, Gearedup
Attached Thumbnails
Zen and the art of maintaining it-20140119_164901.jpg  

Zen and the art of maintaining it-20140119_164839.jpg  

Zen and the art of maintaining it-20140119_164747.jpg  

Zen and the art of maintaining it-20140119_164636.jpg  

gearedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 07:32   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
Trying to restore a 99'Zen.

History: The car was starting without any battery issues (battery - 6 years). Occasional coolant boils and over-flows.AC not working. The engine Note is peculiar "like a blocked pipe sound". Major scratches.

Last Month, gave the car at ABT Guindy, Chennai for service. Did the 1year service just to get it to a drivable condition.

Service : After the initial inspection, the SA gave an estimate for 38K without Battery replacement. He said the entire wiring needs to be checked and it will take a day. I agreed and suggested him to repair/replace parts which are essential for every-day short commutes and then other repairs can be done in stages.

Next Day Delivery: SA was off and delivery was done by another SA. SA mentioned that the car is weak (Rude) and battery is dead. I asked him whether wiring was re-checked. There was no satisfactory reply. So I assumed only half work was done and hence wiring may not be proper. Also he informed the radiator fan is occasionally running and need to change the motor urgently but they did not have stock. Ultimately the car became non-drivable. I placed the car at home and traveled out of Chennai. I am available only once a month in Chennai during weekends.

Today I called MASS and they are avoiding my calls and not responding.

Could you guys direct me to a reliable Auto-works near Teynampet to immediately check the wiring and also the radiator issue for double confirmation.

Also, please review the quote attached and let me know which ones are absolute must without double inspection.

This job would had best done by a reputed local garage, I see that you are on a long ride now.

To bail out of this situation, connect or the Maruti Regional Manager for services, also know his 2 level up, and start communication on email with complete details and pictures to build the record and then follow up with phone calls or visits

Else the dealer will only look at you as a milking cow, where as here you need to make them work by fear from the top
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote