Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th April 2014, 07:37   #361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedup View Post
Friends, Seek your advice on whether I should go in for Bumper repainting. One Paint shop said that it is pointless to paint the existing bumpers. I tend to agree with him, because the front one has slightly cracked during a head-on. Also the existing paint on the bumper didn't have the primer applied. So naturally it has tend to chip off at many places.

I am not very particular of the looks, but the current condition of the bumpers is very odd. Also I need to get the dent & paint work done on the right side panel.

Either I need to replace both the existing bumpers with the MGP - black colour & leave it as it is. Cost Rs. 2,500 to 3,000 for both.

Or, I guess I need to replace the front bumper & get it painted with primer this time. Cost 4,500/- (+/- 500). Will leave the back one as it is, since I may try out some innovative stickering

Regards, Gearedup

Yours is a straight situation, Change the bumper, the cost is not much, and a fresh bumper is a fresh bumper

Adding putty in the old bumper, reprinting and then again the crack appearing after few years is not worth it, before the stop selling OE bumpers for Zen, go for it
Anupam is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 13:56   #362
BHPian

Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Guys, mine is a 2002 model MPFI Zen, currently done around 80k kms.

The vehicle is still on the original clutch, and is on its last leg. Last week I red-lined it at half clutch and have almost burnt it.

My FNG guy says that the complete Clutch overhaul is needed (Clutch and pressure plate, Clutch Cable, Release Bearing, Flywheel etc), and it will cost around 5k (+/- 10%) for MGP parts and labour.

What should be the cost, and is there any after market / sports spec clutch that I can go for in around a similar budget?

All help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Yogesh.
yogeshnagpal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 14:01   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Guys, mine is a 2002 model MPFI Zen, currently done around 80k kms.

The vehicle is still on the original clutch, and is on its last leg. Last week I red-lined it at half clutch and have almost burnt it.

My FNG guy says that the complete Clutch overhaul is needed (Clutch and pressure plate, Clutch Cable, Release Bearing, Flywheel etc), and it will cost around 5k (+/- 10%) for MGP parts and labour.

What should be the cost, and is there any after market / sports spec clutch that I can go for in around a similar budget?
IMO, go for the job at MASS. The price they quoted is very reasonable by all standards. I am not aware of any 'sports spec' clutch, but I am not sure how it will help if you find it anyway. The original clutch has lasted about 80K for you; why to look for anything else?

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 14:04   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Also the existing paint on the bumper didn't have the primer applied. So naturally it has tend to chip off at many places.

I am not very particular of the looks, but the current condition of the bumpers is very odd. Also I need to get the dent & paint work done on the right side panel.

Either I need to replace both the existing bumpers with the MGP - black colour & leave it as it is. Cost Rs. 2,500 to 3,000 for both.

Or, I guess I need to replace the front bumper & get it painted with primer this time. Cost 4,500/- (+/- 500). Will leave the back one as it is, since I may try out some innovative stickering

Regards, Gearedup
My 2 cents - Replace the bumper. Since you are not particular about the looks, leave it as is - black. That way, if there are scratches, it does not look bad by means of paint peeling-off. Scratches on a black bumper wont look as bad as the painted ones. Moreover, black bumpers look good . Black bumpers reduce heart-burn, because the scratches are not glaringly visible.

From the financial point, based on what you have quoted, i guess you would be saving a 1500/- by not painting them.
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 14:07   #365
BHPian

Hi Saket,

The FNG guy is an ex-Maruti employee, listed on the BHP directory - Joe D'souza from Nakita motors.

I just wanted to try something different this time, hence asked for aftermarket spec'd clutch which would be more rigid at red-lining rpm's.

The earlier one lasted this long, since I hardly used to red-line earlier. If at all I decide to go for a FFE, I do not want to repent not going for a better clutch, hence the question.

Thanks,
Yogesh.
yogeshnagpal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 12:04   #366
BHPian

Hello to all.
I had posted earlier regarding my Zen’s carburetor trouble.
It was solved for a while by replacing the accelerating pump side gasket and carburetor cleaning..
Well now it’s back. The engine refuses to idle. Now the idling RPM has been increased but the engine runs rough.
By rough I mean the rhythm is not constant hmmmmmm… It is like hmm..ddd..hmmm..ddd. Hope this explains.
When the engine is revved black smoke is seen.
All the vacuum tubes were replaced with new when the carburetor was opened for cleaning.
Now the mechanic says that the carburetor needs replacing.
The make is “”Mikuini””.
This carburetor is not available in the market. The available brand is “”Paco””, but I am reluctant to replace with a non original part.
My Zen has clocked 135000 Km. I will be checking the cylinder compression pressures soon and posting.
In the mean while can anyone advice a good carburetor mechanic in Kolkata. I stay at Joka so any one around here will be helpful.
Thanks a lot guys.
norhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 12:32   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
When the engine is revved black smoke is seen..
This pointer tells me that either the carb is not tuned well, or there is incomplete combustion in the cylinder.

By saying that the carb is not tuned well, I mean that the fuel air mixture is rich; with too much fuel as compared to air. This can be adjusted by tuning the carb, best done by a good & experienced mechanic, if you are not comfortable with a DIY.

In case of incomplete combustion, check spark plug wires/ contacts and also see if all spark plugs are firing fine with proper gaps. If the plugs are too dirty or old, replace them. They do not cost much anyway. Since, the engine is not idling smoothly, this can be the problem too. Warning: Do not touch the wires/ spark plug area while the engine is running for the nasty shock that you may get.

Another thing to check in a carb car is the firing timing, which is adjusted by the altering the position of the distributor. Attending to these points can solve your problem, most probably.

Do check for traces of fuel in engine oil by the dipstick. If the colour of the oil has gone milky brown, do not run the engine without changing the oil and attending to the problem.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 26th April 2014 at 12:36.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 00:20   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
There should change in idle-RPM if AC is ON. Some vacuum/tubing in your carb isnt right. Pls Get it checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
In strict sense, carb cleaning re-uses existing parts itself after cleaning them while overhaul typically replaces some parts within the carburettor and re-uses the long lasting parts after cleaning. Some of the parts are not easy to clean properly due to their structure but are cheap enough and are easier to replace. Last time I did the overhaul, cost was around 1500.

What I meant in my previous reply to gearedup was that the cleaning/overhauling was meaningless if the tuning was again set (after reassembling) with richer fuel mixture which will clog the carburettor with carbon deposits again in no time.
Thanks to all the posts here for furthering my resolve to get the carb overhauled. Went to Automechs Koramangala (Naveen) for full service after positive reviews here and he also agreed to do the carb overhaul (not just cleaning) which was avoided twice by the previous garage.

A MGP Carb Kit was used costing Rs. 850/- All related tubes were replaced. Checked the idling too, there is a change in the idling now while switching on the AC, Head lights; as should be. The mix has been corrected too. Hope to see a rise in FE from the previous 10.

Cant quote his labour charge specific to the Carb work, since the total bill was around 21K & he is sure to have adjusted it somewhere. While submitting the bill to me he exclaimed that he had forgotten to add the Carb Labour.

Will shortly detail all the Work & related cost, finally I get a feel of being in a 'Pocket Rocket'
gearedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 16:14   #369

Hi, I was recently fixing dents, removing scratches & doing bodywork on my friends 2006 MPFI Zen, when we decided it would be a good idea to service it too. I changed the oil & oil filter without any issues but I can't find the fuel filter which I would like to change. Could someone please guide me with the same. I want to know where the filter element is fitted.

Thanks & Regards
sahil_mohile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 01:14   #370
BHPian

Friends, Below table is the cost of the service of my Zen Vx '99, with 1 lac on the odo
1. The MGP for AC Control switch assembly was not quite sourceable, the Rs. 1800 is supposedly paid to a scrap dealer
2. Full body polishing may seem costly @ 2K, but already 3 guys who have seen the car after service, asked me whether I got the whole car painted (Will post the photos soon)
3. Clutch overhaul labour Rs. 1400: refer to GTO's thread "SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul" - This is a very difficult thing to argue for newbies.
Attached Images

gearedup is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 12:44   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends, Below table is the cost of the service of my Zen Vx '99, with 1 lac on the odo
1. The MGP for AC Control switch assembly was not quite sourceable, the Rs. 1800 is supposedly paid to a scrap dealer
2. Full body polishing may seem costly @ 2K, but already 3 guys who have seen the car after service, asked me whether I got the whole car painted (Will post the photos soon)
3. Clutch overhaul labour Rs. 1400: refer to GTO's thread "SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul" - This is a very difficult thing to argue for newbies.
I think Rs. 2000 is very less for full body polishing and waxing (assuming that you got that done too.)

Now, some questions:
1. A/C gas topup. Is this the R12 gas? How many cans did you need? I assume 'one' since it was just a topup.
2. Front and Rear bumper: Is Rs. 2440 for new bumpers or for repairing old ones? I assume new. Quite cheap.
3. Carburetor Kit: What is this? Is it price of new carbuerator? It should be more than Rs. 2000, isn't it?
4. Engine oil: Rs. 1400. Isn't that too much for Zen? How many liters were used?
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 00:16   #372
BHPian

Note from Support: Your post has been edited this time but please do not use in-line answers to quotes in future posts. Thanks!

Hi S_U_N,
Answers are below

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
1. A/C gas topup. Is this the R12 gas? How many cans did you need? I assume 'one' since it was just a topup.
Yes, R12 was used (yeah it is banned, but then sorry I cant afford to replace my compressor to R134). I also assumed one can , unaware of the exact quantum filled[/b]

Quote:
2. Front and Rear bumper: Is Rs. 2440 for new bumpers or for repairing old ones? I assume new. Quite cheap.
Yes, these are new. Cheap - yeah, at the same time the MGP bumper can be severely damaged by a 2-wheeler

Quote:
3. Carburetor Kit: What is this? Is it price of new carbuerator? It should be more than Rs. 2000, isn't it?
No, the entire carburetor wasn't replaced. I had seen the bill & it showed Carb Kit'. Pardon me, but I dont know what a kit consists of. The mechanic said that he will use the MGP Kit, else the cost of his labour to service the those components could be more than 850/-.

Quote:
4. Engine oil: Rs. 1400. Isn't that too much for Zen? How many liters were used?
3.5 litres of Mobil (though the capacity as per manual is 3.3)Cost, yes it seems high, previous costs were 900/-. When confronted, the mechanic rechecked the bill & started to re-collect items he had not listed in the bill. I have had this happen with me all the time, the garages I visit inflate the rate of 3-4 items and forget to add 4-5 items of work actually done by them. My way is, since I am not as experienced as many others, I dont argue on the rates but then I dont take the vehicle back until every single thing I ask for is taken care of .
My only failure so far was that the previous 2 services ended with Carb cleaning instead of Carb overhaul. The garage guy said 'Dont worry saar' & I ended up bearing the higher fuel cost & loss of precious fuel.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th May 2014 at 06:04. Reason: See note.
gearedup is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 09:25   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Note from Support: Your post has been edited this time but please do not use in-line answers to quotes in future posts. Thanks!

Hi S_U_N,
Answers are below

Yes, R12 was used (yeah it is banned, but then sorry I cant afford to replace my compressor to R134). I also assumed one can , unaware of the exact quantum filled[/b]

Are you sure it was R12, local chaps have been know to use the stuff that's used in the older refrigerator's. R12 was banned quite a while back.
ssjr0498 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 09:52   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil_mohile View Post
Hi, I was recently fixing dents, removing scratches & doing bodywork on my friends 2006 MPFI Zen, when we decided it would be a good idea to service it too. I changed the oil & oil filter without any issues but I can't find the fuel filter which I would like to change. Could someone please guide me with the same. I want to know where the filter element is fitted.

Thanks & Regards
It's located in front of the fuel tank LHS, just between the little space between tank and floor of the car. In my carb zen, it's located here only, but should be the same for MPFI one too.
chaudh2s is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 15:58   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Are you sure it was R12, local chaps have been know to use the stuff that's used in the older refrigerator's. R12 was banned quite a while back.
Thanks for bringing this up ssjr0498. Now, there is a confusion. When I had enquired with a mechanic at the Garage, he had said that R12 was used. Now, I did ask him on how they managed to procure it despite being banned. He just shrugged & said it is available.

Now when I asked the garage owner in the morning, he pretended to be confused & said that R134A was used. I am no auto expert, let alone HVAC, but I have checked the forum that R12 is still available for Industrial use & it is not quite possible to automatically use R134A into a compressor which was made for R12.

This car was transferred to me by a known source & I will check with him if he got the requisite minor mods done to the R12 compressor, to be compatible with R134A. (I dont think he would have done that)

Else, the question is open

[Note to mods: Apologies for using inline answers to quotes in my previous post, I was just trying to be compact Will take care henceforth]
gearedup is offline   Reply With Quote