Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd March 2015, 16:00   #436
BHPian

Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Hello people,

I have a problem with the speedometer in my Zen. There is lot of jump in the speedometer needle and keeps vibrating even if the car is not moving. I showed it to a mechanic and he greased the cable at first but it did not help. When I asked another mechanic he said it wont get solved and I need to replace the entire speedometer unit which I don't believe. So I wanted to ask if you people have faced the same problem and got a solution for this problem. Thanks in advance.
swamyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 19:27   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamyzen View Post
Hello people,

I have a problem with the speedometer in my Zen. There is lot of jump in the speedometer needle and keeps vibrating even if the car is not moving. I showed it to a mechanic and he greased the cable at first but it did not help. When I asked another mechanic he said it wont get solved and I need to replace the entire speedometer unit which I don't believe. So I wanted to ask if you people have faced the same problem and got a solution for this problem. Thanks in advance.
Looks like I missed this post. If speedometer cable is not the issue, I doubt replacing the speedometer is going to solve it either. The problem could be at or near the front tyres. Is the steering pulling to any side, even marginally? Is the alignment, balancing, camber, toe angle etc. intact? Are there any pending front suspension work on the car that has been postponed to be done after a while? How is the condition of front shocks?

I remember having something similar a while back which was due to one of the above questions I asked. From what I could understand back then, the issue was making both the front wheels rotate at slightly different speeds and was causing the vibration in the speedo. Once the other issue was fixed, the speedo issue got resolved as well.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 23:02   #438
BHPian

Question Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

My '99 carb zen stalled today. On inspection, looked like engine oil had entered into the radiator. Maybe due to a worn out head gasket. The general service had been done recently, so am not sure on how this happened. Both engine oil and coolant had been topped up about 700 kms ago.

I am not sure if this could be a major issue, please advise.
gearedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 01:30   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedup View Post
My '99 carb zen stalled today. On inspection, looked like engine oil had entered into the radiator. Maybe due to a worn out head gasket. The general service had been done recently, so am not sure on how this happened. Both engine oil and coolant had been topped up about 700 kms ago.

I am not sure if this could be a major issue, please advise.
Engine oil entering coolant means you have a blown head-gasket. You would be needing to open up the head to replace it. Get genuine gasket and sealants for the job. You now have a chance to also clean up carbon deposits on the piston tops and also valves. Also inspect for wear and tear If the ingress of oil in the radiator was a lot then you might have to flush your whole cooling system including radiator too.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 10:19   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello people,

Probably your mechanic is right. Try swapping the speedo cable with a known good one. At times, bad speedo cable can lead to such symptoms. Another check point should be the worm gear on the gearbox. The speedo cable in cars are connected to the gearbox as against the wheels unlike most 2 wheelers. If these checks do not solve the problem, then I am afraid that you may need to replace the speedometer. There is a hairsping inside the speedometer which may have been damaged. This causes erratic needle behavior on the console.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 00:06   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Engine oil entering coolant means you have a blown head-gasket..... If the ingress of oil in the radiator was a lot then you might have to flush your whole cooling system including radiator too.
Thanks pixantz, the mechanic is flushing the radiator and is checking on rest of related system. Will get the carbon deposits cleaned too.
gearedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 17:51   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Looks like I missed this post. If speedometer cable is not the issue, I doubt replacing the speedometer is going to solve it either. The problem could be at or near the front tyres. Is the steering pulling to any side, even marginally? .
Thanks zenren. No pending work is there on the front suspension. They are good enough for another 30K km's according to my SA at Mandovi. Last service the front bushes were replaced and the steering knuckle was also replaced. The car is currently at 1.64 lakh km's and until now no parts of the suspension has been replaced other than the ones stated above. 1 week ago I got the wheel alignment and balancing done at Madhus in Mysore as I have had to do a mega trip in the car from Bangalore to Coorg with a lot of travelling in Coorg. While driving to Mysore there was a lot of vibrations at and above 80 kmph and hence I got alignment done at Mysore. No pulling to a side has been noticed. Today itself I returned to Mysore and on Hunsur Road I went upto 100 + kmph and I did not notice the steering pulling to a side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Probably your mechanic is right. Try swapping the speedo cable with a known good one. At times, bad speedo cable can lead to such symptoms. Another check point should be the worm gear on the gearbox. The speedo cable in cars are connected to the gearbox as against the wheels unlike most 2 wheelers. .
Thanks Saket77. The gears on the gearbox was also checked and they are also fine. So I am considering getting the speedometer(if available as an MGP) in next service or getting the hairspring changed if damaged. Last time I inquired about a speedometer cable, Mandovi told they don't keep such parts for old cars.
Old 20th May 2015, 18:43   #443
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I had to go out of the country for a month and hence I had handed the keys of my Zen to my brother in Mysore for the month. He came to Bangalore to drive down Zen from Bangalore. As I was half way through to the Airport, my brother called me and said he had stopped at a relatives house and he had parked the car on a slope and saw a drop of oil on the ground. He asked if there was a leak and if it happened before and I forgot to tell him. The problem wasn't there before so I told him it hadn't leaked recently and told him to just check the amount of oil left and if needed top up ( I had kept a can of 10 W 40 in the boot). He called back 2 minutes later and said the level was fine. So he drove to Mysore without any problem. For a week he noted that every-time he parked on a sloped area oil would leak but if he parked on a flat surface no oil would leak. After about 12 days he saw that even when parked on a flat surface it would leak. When he parked overnight he saw about 4-5 drops on the floor. So he called me and asked me what might be the problem. He felt the packing in the oil pan was faulty and this had happened about 4 years ago, so I did agree with him. I asked him to visit a MASS and just make sure everything is fine. So next day he topped up oil and he drove down to Mandovi Motors in Mysore and after inspection the SA said engine bedding was gone and engine needed overhaul and the engine should be removed from the chassis and it would take 10 days for engine overhaul. Now obviously my brother pointed towards the packing but the SA just wasn't willing to check it. So he just drove back because he as well as I know that the engine is not burning oil, has excellent pick up and gives good FE. But I just don't want to jump to conclusions, so I wanted ask if any of you have faced such a problem with your Zen and if yes what was replaced or repaired ? Also was it something complex and big if you did face such a problem ?

Thanks in advance,
swamyzen

P S : When the SA was asked what does engine bedding mean he just "piston ring something something not working fine" . So I would like to ask if anyone here understood what he meant by that.
Old 21st May 2015, 13:59   #444
Senior - BHPian

My '96 Zen has been giving me poor mileage for the last few months.

Earlier the issue was the RPM kept on fluctuating and the car would stall during slowing down a few days after tuning, no matter how much of adjustment was done.

So, my mechanic opened up the carburetor and said the condition was really bad.
He got a second hand carburetor and put that in. The idling situation improved for a few day, but the mileage returned was just around 5-6 kmpl.
Then after a few days and with two tankful-to-tankful measurements, the mileage did not show much improvement.
He said the carburetor could be faulty. By that time, the RPM was also not stable. Setting it low, would make the car un-drivable in city due to engine dying when slowing down. So, he exchanged that carburetor with another one.
There was marginal difference in mileage. So, I went back to him.
This time, he kept the car for two days to troubleshoot.
There is a white plastic part which was broken (towards inlet side). That was replaced.
The tuning was done again and the RPM fluctuation is gone.

Now, after half tank, I can roughly gauge the mileage to be around 7-8 kmpl.
There does not seem to be any petrol leakage. The idling is nice (very silent engine) - with AC it is a bit higher - I think.
All running is in city with 2-3 people in and AC ON.

I am planning to take the car back next week to him (currently he is outstation).

Does anyone have any ideas what else could be a problem?

Last edited by S_U_N : 21st May 2015 at 14:03.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 14:21   #445
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
My '96 Zen has been giving me poor mileage for the last few months.
How many kilometers has the car run? First thing you need to check is the condition of the engine, easiest way to do this is by doing a compression check. If the compression is within normal range then you would want to do a complete tune up. Check all filters, plugs and plug wires also.

Since it is a carb zen, you would need to clean and tune the carb also. If the carb has not been tampered with earlier, nothing much would go wrong. So first thing is to get your original carb back in if it is not tampered earlier.

My suggestion take it to a decent MAS not necessary dealership, but a good authorized center and do check with them if they have mech's with knowledge of carbs.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 14:47   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How many kilometers has the car run? First thing you need to check is the condition of the engine, easiest way to do this is by doing a compression check. If the compression is within normal range then you would want to do a complete tune up. Check all filters, plugs and plug wires also.

Since it is a carb zen, you would need to clean and tune the carb also. If the carb has not been tampered with earlier, nothing much would go wrong. So first thing is to get your original carb back in if it is not tampered earlier.

My suggestion take it to a decent MAS not necessary dealership, but a good authorized center and do check with them if they have mech's with knowledge of carbs.
The car has run around 85000 KM (however since i am the fourth owner, I cannot say that this figure is genuine. I got the car around 65000 KM mark, 4 years ago).

From the sound, I believe the engine is in good condition.
The 'original carb' is no longer with me. It was exchanged while buying the replacement second hand carb for about Rs. 2200.

I believe air filter replacement should be done quite soon (and that can help increase the mileage). What plugs and plug wires are you referring to? How do they impact mileage?

Last edited by S_U_N : 21st May 2015 at 14:48.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 14:52   #447
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
What plugs and plug wires are you referring to? How do they impact mileage?
Spark plug and its wires that connects to coils. If they are weak or damaged, irregular spark can lead to FE and power loss. Similarly you would want to check the timing adjustment also. If it is set to stock 10-11 deg at idle if i remember correct.

Best is to goto a competent mass.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 17:27   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Apart from what Jaggu says, check the exhaust gas in some detail. Keep your hand near the exhaust and let the exhaust gases hit your palm directly. Then check if your palm smells anything like petrol. If it does, then it is a clear indication that raw/unburnt fuel is being expelled, which means energy loss. This may happen because of too rich mixture or a spark plug not firing correctly or not firing at all. Check the condition of the spark plugs, distributor and the condenser in the distributor.. A brown deposit means perfect mix.

Check these step by step and I am sure we will trace if the culprit is the electrical system or the fuel management.

Last edited by saket77 : 21st May 2015 at 17:29.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 09:54   #449

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I had to go out of the country for a month and hence I had handed the keys of my Zen to my brother in Mysore for the month. He came to Bangalore to drive down Zen from Bangalore. As I was half way through to the Airport, my brother called me and said he had stopped at a relatives house and he had parked the car on a slope and saw a drop of oil on the ground. He asked if there was a leak and if it happened before and I forgot to tell him. The problem wasn't there before so I told him it hadn't leaked recently and told him to just check the amount of oil left and if needed top up ( I had kept a can of 10 W 40 in the boot). He called back 2 minutes later and said the level was fine. So he drove to Mysore without any problem. For a week he noted that every-time he parked on a sloped area oil would leak but if he parked on a flat surface no oil would leak. After about 12 days he saw that even when parked on a flat surface it would leak. When he parked overnight he saw about 4-5 drops on the floor. So he called me and asked me what might be the problem. He felt the packing in the oil pan was faulty and this had happened about 4 years ago, so I did agree with him. I asked him to visit a MASS and just make sure everything is fine. So next day he topped up oil and he drove down to Mandovi Motors in Mysore and after inspection the SA said engine bedding was gone and engine needed overhaul and the engine should be removed from the chassis and it would take 10 days for engine overhaul. Now obviously my brother pointed towards the packing but the SA just wasn't willing to check it. So he just drove back because he as well as I know that the engine is not burning oil, has excellent pick up and gives good FE. But I just don't want to jump to conclusions, so I wanted ask if any of you have faced such a problem with your Zen and if yes what was replaced or repaired ? Also was it something complex and big if you did face such a problem ?

Thanks in advance,
swamyzen

P S : When the SA was asked what does engine bedding mean he just "piston ring something something not working fine" . So I would like to ask if anyone here understood what he meant by that.
The engine bedding is basically a rubber part that is used to sit the engine on the chassis. There are 3 beds in your car, one is on the left (Engine bed), the other is on the right (Gear Box Bed) and there is a third below.

The bed rubber does wear out and if this happens the engine starts jerks and vibrates a lot when you start, rev up or engage/disengage the clutch.Its a easy job to change the beds and does not require lifting out the engine.Also this has no co-relation to oil leaks.

In all probability your leak is happening from the oil pan packing deteriorating but if I were you I'd check the rubber O-ring on the oil filter too. The oil filter should be hand tightened only and if you had an oil service done recently then it's possible that your oil filter might be a little loose.
sahil_mohile is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 16:19   #450
dcs
BHPian

Default (Reposting it in This Thread)

Greetings!

I drive a 2003 Model Maruti Suzuki Zen LXi (MPFi) which has around 162 thousand kilometers on Odometer.

I have been getting a fuel efficiency in the range of 14- 17 kms to a liter of Petrol ever since and looking at the traffic conditions and my way of driving, I have been pretty much satisfied with the figure. Yes, it certainly burns a hole in my pocket but at this point in time, I can not afford to buy anything better.

The car goes through the periodic oil & filter change on time. Have visited Spiti twice on the car and the performance has been decent, if not flawless. I recently did a 1500 kms trip to Delhi-Chitkul-Kalpa-Delhi, the fuel efficiency still was bearable, if not marvellous.

The reason for my post is- for the past fortnight or so, the fuel efficiency has gone down Drastically.
  • The car, like I said, is serviced properly.
  • There is absolute no Clutch malfunction, the plates were replaced around 10000 kms back.
  • Wheels are balanced and aligned, air pressure as recommended.
  • There is absolute no change in either the traffic condition, the routes taken, the driving style.
  • There is no new or strange or major noise from the engine.
  • Have tried filling fuel from 4-5 different pumps, but with no difference in performance or efficiency.
  • No erratic idling issues. No Starting Issues, No timing issues. No white/ black/ blue smoke from the exhaust.
  • The car is performing correctly, other than this Fuel Efficiency issue.

While I used to clock around 225-250 kms in a fill of 1000 earlier, now it is not delivering more than 150 kms in a fill of 1100, in the similar conditions.

What could be the possible issue and the possible remedy, if there is any. I would definitely be taking it to the Service Center shortly, but I am slightly sceptical if they would be able to sort out the concern because when I called them up today and informed of the same, they said- Bring the Car here and they shall see if the "Carb" is ok or not. Now, I am not a super-techie but I wonder will they be able to understand and rectify the concern, for they dont even know that Post 2000, Zens in Delhi NCR were MPFi & Not Carbbed.

Looking forward for some valuable suggestions.

All cheers
dcs
dcs is offline   Reply With Quote