Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th July 2015, 12:35   #466
BHPian

Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The cost for the total job is estimated to be Rs. 9500. Out of that, mount costs Rs. 450 approximately.
When is a 'block' job necessary? Are there any symptoms?
Exactly why I asked you in the first place to share the compression numbers in PSI! Without which, it is very difficult to take an educated guess about the status of your block.

If I were you, I would go and get a retest done.

If you decide to do the retest, please disconnect the injectors and have somone hold the throttle at W.O.T and observe the gauge. If you cant read the figure in "PSI", take a clear snap of the gauge for all the 4 cylinders and post it here.

Lets, go 1 step a time!

Cheers!
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 14:07   #467
Senior - BHPian

I am a little confused now.
The readings I gave were in bar. Why would I redo the test?
I can simply use an online converter.

http://www.convertunits.com/from/bar/to/psi

So, 11.5 is around 166 psi which were most of the cylinders were.
The first was 8 which is around 116 psi.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 14:34   #468
BHPian

Quote:
I am a little confused now.
The readings I gave were in bar. Why would I redo the test?
I can simply use an online converter.

http://www.convertunits.com/from/bar/to/psi

So, 11.5 is around 166 psi which were most of the cylinders were.
The first was 8 which is around 116 psi.
Hahah, my bad! Only if I could see the magical words "BAR" in your posts!, I wouldn't have bugged you. Sorry about that!

What is the factory compression limits for the zen?

I'm guessing should be in the 170psi zone! If yes then I don't think there is even a need to change your rings! Just get a leak down test done and in "THIS" case I don't think you even need to do lapping, but nevertheless no harm in getting it done, max to max cost of a head gasket and some labor,so,get the lapping done, check the stem seals and adjust the tappets to factory specs on an absolute cold engine.

I think you should be fine!
Cheers!

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 14th July 2015 at 14:48.
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 15:08   #469
Senior - BHPian

Well, I am hoping that it is a leakage at a valve or the piston rings have worn out.
The mechanic guarantees that the car will be back to normal. I am probably going to not pay him till he is done with the job.
However, I still have time to look for a second opinion.

The other things included in Rs. 9000-10000 are:
1. Timing belt
2. Engine oil.

I wanted to get the gear box oil seal changed in the same labour, but that requires the gear box to be brought down. So, labour for that is extra.

As per two mechanics, the spark plugs seem to be fine.

Probably I should check the engine oil levels once (car is hardly used for last two months.

In the other thread, the compression reading was 13 bars. I am not 100% sure, but I think it should be not be very far off from that figure.
Old 15th July 2015, 10:53   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
I think your guess is correct. I always make it a point to stop filling at the auto shut-off point. Filling to the brim is a usual practice by operators at many filling stations which I think is unsafe and unnecessary.

Please fill for the next 2 - 3 times only till the auto shut-off and see if the problem is gone for good. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Not sure if Zen has a metallic fuel tank. I've heard of instances in other cars where there were rust issues at the top of the petrol tank if the tank was never filled full for a long time. Later, when we fill full tank, this rust particles gets mixed with petrol and reaches the injector causing issues. Do you usually fill full tank?
Zen has a metallic fuel tank, only the latest cars(not many) have plastic fuel tanks.
I don't fill to the brim usually in Zen, I do it most of the times in my Civic.
Just to verify it once again, I'll be filling up to the auto shutoff this time.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 18:38   #471
Senior - BHPian

What is the correct wiper size for Zen?

I ordered 20 and 17" wipers and they actually overlap each other by more than 1 cm.
Old 27th July 2015, 17:16   #472
Senior - BHPian

Ok. Seems correct wiper size is 19/16.

Now, engine work is done it seems. There was leakage of valves. Cylinder lapping would also be done by now (I am yet to visit the mechanic).

Which engine oil should be used now? I trust I need to replace it again after 1000 KM?
Old 28th July 2015, 11:46   #473
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I was out looking for 10W 40 for Zen. It seems this is no longer available easily - unless you want to go for HX7 which is 'synthetic technology'. (Rs. 1500 ~)

Castrol Magnatec is also available but that is only in 3 l package (Rs. 1200~)
Old 2nd August 2015, 12:41   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I was out looking for 10W 40 for Zen. It seems this is no longer available easily - unless you want to go for HX7 which is 'synthetic technology'. (Rs. 1500 ~)

Castrol Magnatec is also available but that is only in 3 l package (Rs. 1200~)
10 W 40 should be available with an authorized MASS. They usually keep 10 W 40 oil cans in stock here in Bangalore where you can buy it over the counter but don't know the case in Pune. I would recommend you first use mineral oil for the running of the overhauled engine as synthetic oil might slow down the process of running in. If you insist on synthetic oil then the deal your getting for the Shell HX7 is a good one because a 4l can of castrol magnatec semi synthetic oil cost about 1,785. Yes replacing the engine oil after the first 1,000 km's is a good idea.

Last edited by swamyzen : 2nd August 2015 at 12:44.
swamyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 07:28   #475
BHPian

Yesterday, when I replaced the tyres for my Zen, the tyre mechanic noticed a couple of issues. One is that, the front left strut seems to have a problem due to which the wheel is not aligning properly. Second was a leak around the gear box area. Any pointers or tips on these two issues.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 10:56   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Yesterday, when I replaced the tyres for my Zen, the tyre mechanic noticed a couple of issues. One is that, the front left strut seems to have a problem due to which the wheel is not aligning properly. Second was a leak around the gear box area. Any pointers or tips on these two issues.
If it is leak around the gearbox area, show it to the mechanic ASAP. Check the oil level too. Low oil levels can screw up the gearbox.

For the wheel alignment issue, get a second opinion. It may be due to other causes.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 16:14   #477
BHPian

Crank,
Make sure your leakage is from gearbox or from the distributor above,normally the distributor leaks and the same oil drips to the gearbox making it look like oil is leaking from the gearbox.

Now in case if its from the distributor most of the mechs including MASS will tell you that its a generic problem with all the cars and nothing can be done,some may advise you to even change the distributor.

However for all the zena estemm owners this may help, changing the distributor mounting which costs rs.113/-,changing the two oil rings,one small and one big amouting to rs 50/- and a grey anabond sealant tube is all thats required to stop this leak 100%.

I have done this at home and can post pics of a spotless distributor and gearbox.

Just do this and your good to go.
I am yet to see a leaky gearbox,however please do evaluate the distributor first.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 13:55   #478
Senior - BHPian

Posting this query on behalf of one of my friends (Samik):

He has a 2005 Zen LXi. Off late, while driving around, the area around his handbrake is getting incredibly hot and burnt smell+smoke is seen inside the cabin.
When he took the car to a mechanic, they suggested to change his 'euro 2 box' (which I suspect is the catcon) and said that the filters/mesh/sensors in the same are kaput.
Is this something experienced by the forum members? Please help.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 13:04   #479
BHPian

Yes, if its choked then the same can happen, it would be nice to check if any thing else is touching the catcon to rule out the burning.

You can either take a screw driver and break free the entire choke-up then it would be like a straight through pipe.

But remember doing so you would be contributing to environment pollution.

Second option is to buy a new assembly from MASS and replace.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 21:09   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Crank,
Make sure your leakage is from gearbox or from the distributor above,normally the distributor leaks and the same oil drips to the gearbox making it look like oil is leaking from the gearbox.

Now in case if its from the distributor most of the mechs including MASS will tell you that its a generic problem with all the cars and nothing can be done,some may advise you to even change the distributor.

However for all the zena estemm owners this may help, changing the distributor mounting which costs rs.113/-,changing the two oil rings,one small and one big amouting to rs 50/- and a grey anabond sealant tube is all thats required to stop this leak 100%.

I have done this at home and can post pics of a spotless distributor and gearbox.

Just do this and your good to go.
I am yet to see a leaky gearbox,however please do evaluate the distributor first.
Thanks for the reply scorpion. I'll check in the next service and try to replace the distributor mounting. Could you please share a pic of that?
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote