Old 12th November 2009, 10:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

A better title for this thread would have been 'Zen and the art of maintenance'
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 07:13   #77
Senior - BHPian

Default sound near engine

People,

I got a strange problem. Getting a sound near engine like leaking air pipe. some zzzzzzzzzzzz sound. I opened the hood and tried figuring out but no luck

but no problem with the car, no drop in pick up, A/C etc

any one had similar problem?
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 16:03   #78
BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
People,

I got a strange problem. Getting a sound near engine like leaking air pipe. some zzzzzzzzzzzz sound. I opened the hood and tried figuring out but no luck

but no problem with the car, no drop in pick up, A/C etc

any one had similar problem?
Hi, the carb zens (as other carb vehicles) are prone to getting pipes leading to & from the carb loose (or cracked) as time goes by...check if u can find a loose (small) pipe under the assembly, and the corresponding "vent" that it came out from - should probably be the culprit. If that's fixed, the rasping sound will be replaced by a smoother whine.
Zen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 14:42   #79
BHPian

Two weeks have passed from I got it serviced. Its running very smooth. That hard gear change has become smooth. Car start very quickly.

I have noticed that low rpm torque has increased a lot. I can take 25-30kmph in 3rd gear without struggle. At 40kmph i can easily drive in 5th!

Is this normal for all Zens? (Remember mine is '99Carb.)
devrajman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 15:33   #80
BHPian

Thats pretty good low end torque then. my car can start from 35 kph in 5th.

Even i had bought my 98 carb zen 2nd hand and despite all previous service records i too had to take care of sludge.

One question. Is the maruti zen (carb) prone to being sluggish at low rpm's while pulling well at higher rpm? Also does it become a slow couch when AC is switched on?

If not then what areas should i look into.
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 16:22   #81
BHPian

Thanks NOS Power. I have tried that with 2 people. If more, that speed needs to be more.

Your car had sludge issue? What were the measures you took? Also how fruitful was it?

I have heard Zen to be High Revving Engine. which delivers excellent power at High Revs. Please correct me if im wrong. But Low revs not sure. Can some one share their Zen's Low RPM experience.

I didnt get lot of opportunity to test its High revving capability.

Yes, mine too gets sluggish with AC.
Old 19th November 2009, 14:59   #82
BHPian

Hi,

I am facing some suspension problem, listed below from my earlier post. I want to know if there is a good reliable independent garage in Gurgaon that I can go to. I can pick up spares from the Sector 14 Maruti Spares shop.

TIA.

Hi all,

I need some advice. My Zen has now covered approx 37000 kms. I am having a noise problem. There is a noise that comes when decelerating and accelerating in the speed range of 30+ kmph. Its a sort of booming noise. Its quite pronounced at highways.

I am in Gurgaon, and showed it at Qutab Auto, near Galleria. He told me the tyres have 'gaddhas' in them - which I took to mean there is uneven wear on the surface. I was told to run my hand on the tyre and feel it. I did feel some ups and downs, but that could have been the tread itself. He further mentioned that this may is due to the shock absorbers, and bearings are Ok.

The bushes will have to be replaced, and other work may be required if needed. Since the tyres were rotated, the suspension that caused the problem could not be singled out and therefore all of them will be checked. Min damage is Rs. 2000, plus I'll have to get tyres replaced to make the noise go away.

Please let me know if this sounds right. Also, if there is some other good recommended place where I can take a second opinion as to the work and cost in Gurgaon, please let me know.

Will it be Ok to replace only 2 front tyres for now? The tyres have some tread left and have not reached the indicators, and I don't want to replace unless required. They are 4.5 years old, and are GPS 2 tyres, size 145/80R12 with Alloys. If they really have incorrect wear, will this get covered in warranty?

Please let me know if I should attach some snaps, also, if going to a tyre shop for opinion make sense.

TIA,
Simran
simran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 17:32   #83
Team-BHP Support

Simran it sounds like a shot strut, and each one will cost approx 2000 bucks. Ideally replace both at the same time. I would suggest to change all 4 tires also, since they are old, you can squeeze some more kms but really not worth it.

Otherwise yes you can replace 2 tires, then again question of mounting them will become another debate.

For slow speed, dry weather drive + better steering control = Mount of front axle
High speed esp in wet weather = Mount of rear wheels

Search if you want detailed explanation on mounting bit, there is a dedicated thread somewhere.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 18:00   #84
BHPian

I just found the term for my problem - its tyre cupping.

I think i'll wait for the 40000 km service to replace the struts and the tyres, in case there is some offer for 4 tyres, I might replace tyres early :-) That will give me some time to plan the finances as well. Thanks for the advise Jaggu.

This is the link: Checking the Tread on Your Tyres - Safer Motoring (UK)

Worn Areas on the Tyre Tread:
Sometimes known as scalloping, dipping or cupping, dips in the tread are usually found on the front tyres, and are a sign that the wheels may not be balanced correctly, or that the steering and suspension systems need to be checked out.
Old 19th November 2009, 19:08   #85
BHPian

Yo man!!

didn't know you picked this up now!! I am sure that from now onwards you will take good care of her! Like some have suggested, don't bother cleaning anything below the head as of now, vavlecover yes! for feel good factor you can, but that's also not necessary.

According to the japanese gods of tuning(honda's), one should never do a engine flush as that messes with the clearances. Regular oil change and that too the one recommended by the manufacturer is the best possible way to keep your engine healty.

So whats next! a 1.6L heart transplant??

Cheers,
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
@ dev , car is running fine for now ,little smoother , will add the OWS 360 petrol treatment in the next fill and check out .
What is engine stress test ?

@ssjr , vtec boy , thats the car i bought recently .I did a engine flush that should have taken care of below the piston part . I plan to remove the head cover, next week some time my self and clean up the junk .
Yes ,only the head cover was removed , the valve cover was replaced ,the head was not removed . Head gasket was wrong term .
Regarding dev's engine , he also got the car recently , hence hes also confused .

Since i have the car now it will be in top shape here onwards .
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 19:46   #86
BHPian

I changed the tyres, and the problem is resolved now. I tried a second opinion with Ramesh Auto, and he said that the suspension is fine and a tyre change will do the trick.

I changed to Michelin XM1+, 145/80R12. Cost me Rs. 7500 for a set of 4, got Rs. 600 for my old tyres.

New tyres have much lesser noise, and the ride has improved a bit - the car seems to go faster, but it may just be my impression since the noise has reduced and the car seems to exert less effort.

The tyre dealers seem to be hard-selling Michelin. The price is higher, but not by much so going by the general opinion on the forum, I decided to go for them.

Again, thanks everyone for your inputs.
Old 25th November 2009, 09:49   #87
Senior - BHPian

Cool Rasping sound issue fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Hi, the carb zens (as other carb vehicles) are prone to getting pipes leading to & from the carb loose (or cracked) as time goes by...check if u can find a loose (small) pipe under the assembly, and the corresponding "vent" that it came out from - should probably be the culprit. If that's fixed, the rasping sound will be replaced by a smoother whine.

Thanks Zen2001.

Got it checked and fixed from MASS. One of the pipe feeding carb had come out. It was vacum suction or some thing.

Service manager advised that FE will drop if this pipe come out.
Thats what even my observation was

Last edited by recshenoy : 25th November 2009 at 09:52.
Old 9th December 2009, 11:54   #88
BHPian

Mine is 99'Carb with manual windows. I know of few extra fittings for power windows like autocop. These costs a lot.

I was thinking, later models of zen had OEM power windows built inside the door pads. Can I fit those in my zen. I might have to change the door pads too.

How much would these power window setup costs? Also how much for door pads?
Old 12th December 2009, 12:48   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Mine is 99'Carb with manual windows. I know of few extra fittings for power windows like autocop. These costs a lot.

I was thinking, later models of zen had OEM power windows built inside the door pads. Can I fit those in my zen. I might have to change the door pads too.

How much would these power window setup costs? Also how much for door pads?
check out the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...pricelist.html (Maruti Genuine Accessories and Parts PriceList)

it says front power window some 6K odd and rear one 4K odd.
Old 14th December 2009, 13:51   #90
Senior - BHPian

Talking GC of ZEN

Guys,

what is the GC of a stock carb zen? I have been driving one for a while without knowing GC