Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th January 2010, 18:48   #106
Team-BHP Support

Hashim unfortunately i think you will have to open the clutch again and inspect, yup it sounds like the bearing. Also see if there are any issue with the flywheel also.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 21:18   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
the sound does disappear when pressed and comes again when released. This noise raise as we increase engine RPM.

I recorded the sound and want engine gurus here to listen and tell me what is gone bad, is it clutch bearing? then I might give a good to that mechanic who said "clutch bearing bilkul theek hai mene apke 500 rupay bacha liye" while changing clutch few months back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston.Martin View Post
Thanks @ Jaggu,
@ vigsom, the noise is getting louder day by day, that is worrying me. I think I will have to take her to a mech.
I reiterate that it is not the CRB(clutch release bearing);if the CRB is bad,the noise will increase when the clutch pedal is depressed.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 21:39   #108
Senior - BHPian

I'm kinda feeling like a fool now. I've serviced my WagonR only at MASS for last 3 years & each time after a service of something that I tell, the other thing that is not mentioned goes for a toss & I keep cursing myself for not noticing them earlier.

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'll try giving it else where. May be to a person who has local garage. Thanks for the eye opener.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 09:13   #109
BHPian

I agree with vigsom. Doesnt sound like clutch bearing. Clutch bearing 'll sound only with clutch partially depressed and 'll vanish when clutch is released.
Thats some bearing sound only but probly not CRB.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 09:47   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm kinda feeling like a fool now. I've serviced my WagonR only at MASS for last 3 years & each time after a service of something that I tell, the other thing that is not mentioned goes for a toss & I keep cursing myself for not noticing them earlier.

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'll try giving it else where. May be to a person who has local garage. Thanks for the eye opener.
RG,all of us are born fools and then learn and become wiser.Before you select a pvt. garage,a lot of homework needs to be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
I agree with vigsom. Doesnt sound like clutch bearing. Clutch bearing 'll sound only with clutch partially depressed and 'll vanish when clutch is released.
Thats some bearing sound only but probly not CRB.
absolutely;I'll need to check if it could be a faulty bearing on one of the shafts.

Should be able to give more feedback in 2 days
Old 19th January 2010, 21:04   #111
Senior - BHPian

Aston and Hashim,

The noise you have described could be noise(s) of bearings in your gear boxes.

Replacing all bearings in one go would be the only viable solution, I feel.
Old 10th February 2010, 08:42   #112
BHPian

My Zen is having mild steering play which becomes an issue with speeds above 60kmph at the same time steering is tighter than my friends zen (both are manual steerings).

As per last M.A.S.S., rack & pinion needs to be replaced.

Im not too sure above his inspection. Does both issue exists simultaneously? How do I solve both the issues? Has anyone repaired/replaced it?
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 10:35   #113
Team-BHP Support

If you loosen the steering damper then steering will be free at slow speeds but might start giving khat khat sounds on broken tarmac.

When was the last time you serviced the steering and suspension and how are the tires?
Old 10th February 2010, 10:58   #114
BHPian

Will that khat khat sound will be due to already existing steering play or loosening of steering damper.

I have bought this car 6months back. However past two 5K service record doesn't say anything fixed in suspension. For steering, steering assembly R&R of 200rs was replaced in 13/5/09. Tyre are in pretty good shape.

MASS told me rack & pinion change would cost me around 3K!
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:40   #115
Senior - BHPian

People,

In my car steering I can feel vibrations even while driving on the smooth and good roads! has it got something to do with steering or the bent rims?

Any one experienced same?
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 14:34   #116
Senior - BHPian

I too have experienced some vibrations while driving at 80 kmph. The tyres are brand new. Any insight on this ? Also the wheel alignment and balancing is corrected. It was smooth earlier. What needs to be checked ?
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 21:18   #117
BHPian

Default My zen experience

I have an 2000 model zen vxi with mpfi engine. It has been a long association with my car and at present i have just clocked over 145K + kms and still providing great ride. I recently got few overhauling work done:
1. Suspension overhaul (Replacing strut bearing, pad steering wheel 3-spoke brake calliper pin)
2. Timing belt replace
3. Fan belts replaced (both altenator and AC)
4. rear wheel bearing replace
5. Radiator hose pipe
6. Throttle ..ring
7. timing and tuning settings

Now I can feel the smoothness of the engine as earlier the car used to struggle with initial pickup when started after few hours any time of day.
The suspension overhauling has also improved handling of the car at corners.

BTW i did the servicing at Jalaram motors (hijesh), Nr driving cinema, Ahmedabad.

Anyone have any idea how to get rid of the rattling noises and what else should I be checking out as preventive care given that i am nearing 150K kms.
automachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 22:15   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automachine View Post
how to get rid of the rattling noises and what else should I be checking out as preventive care given that i am nearing 150K kms.
Rattles are part of Maruti's build and can be minimised,not eliminated.You could get your doors adjusted("setting" in common parlance),use expanded PE foam(called heatlon) pieces between door panels and frame to reduce rattles.

Another thing you could do is changing engine oil every 6000-7000 kms(against the 10000 km norm) to keep the engine in pink of health.
Old 10th February 2010, 22:49   #119
BHPian

Ok a good news regarding that faulty clutch bearing type sound for which I posted that video. Few days back I adjusted the play in clutch (it was little too much) and today I noticed that "khir khir" sound is totally gone! I tried everything like pressing depressing but no bearing sound whatsoever. This sound didn't disappeared right after adjusting play I remember very well but its gone now
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 10:02   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Will that khat khat sound will be due to already existing steering play or loosening of steering damper.
====
MASS told me rack & pinion change would cost me around 3K!
Sound will be due to lose damper. Get the car to a good mech and get it checked. Good part is zen is comparatively cheap and will not cost much to do a complete overhaul of steering and suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Ok a good news regarding that faulty clutch bearing type sound for which I posted that video.
========
This sound didn't disappeared right after adjusting play I remember very well but its gone now
Good show! Hopefully it was a lose clutch cable assembly or something. Enjoy the ride.