Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 17:07   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 172
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Zen and the art of maintaining it

I drive a 2002 model Zen, which has done nearly 65000 kms. Recently I see that my maintenance cost is increasing like anything. This is particularly after I changed my Service center.

When I gave for service in June, they said the front wheel bearing had to be changed and did the same. There was some noise in my silencer and front shocks, which I said I will take care later.

Last month when I left it for fixing those, they said there was some issue with the timing belt and they had fixed it. Also they said the wheel alignment is not proper (which I never felt) and did the wheel alignment for which they charged me Rs.250.

After this went for a long drive to find that my engine was struggling beyond 80 kmph. I was also able to hear some "jig-jig" noise, probably from the timing belt. Besides this I can feel wild wobbling beyond 90 kmph, which I had never felt before. When I rode the car thru hamlets, I can again hear some noise from the front shocks - some "goda-goda" noise, which I used to hear before the front shocks replacement.

After this long drive, took back the car to service center to check these problems. The works manager at the SC completely rejected all my claims after doing a test drive. He said everything is fine with the car, yet accepted to re-check. After doing a re-check, he said engine is misfiring and the engine cable (I hope this is the name) has to be changed.

I am not sure why I am getting all these issues one by one. Please let me know whether the service center claims are genuine and whether you have faced a similar issue like this.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:02   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 541
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

I have a 10+ yr old Zen. Havent faced any of such issues yet; but am speaking from general experience.

To put it in short, I would NOT blindly trust whatever the SC or MASS guys tell.
You will have 100s of reliable mechanics who know most about these cars so well, to work thru their sleep.
Find a couple of such good folks and take their opinion, pronto.

Will just quote one recent personal experience :
I was having some noise fron the left front side whenever the car went over even a 'pebble'. I couldnt figure it out myself so showed it to the MASS center.
They concluded it in 2 minutes and blamed that the suspension had gone for a toss. Estimate given was close to 12k+ for a suspension overhaul. I was like , since I knew the suspension overhaul was done 10k kms back and was very good.

Next morning, I showed it to a friendly mechanic.
He drove the car, took exactly 10 minutes to remove the wheel and fix an internal bolt in that area, and the noise was gone.
He didnt ask for anything but I paid him 100 bucks anyways and drove away happily.
jigbarai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:20   #3
BHPian
 
ElantraGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 442
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Hey crank, I own a 2000 Zen. Except for the silencer noise that you mentioned i dont see much problem. For these issues i give it to my local mechanic to fix things. For general service and major replacement (after double checking with my mechanic) i take it to the MASS. Do you mind telling us the name of the MASS that is charging you like this. I will best avoid them. I always take my car to ABT in guindy. I have good experience with them so far.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:35   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
recshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mangalore / Bangalore
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 78 Times
Question Niggles with old ZEN

My carb zen even is showing up niggles once in a while. It has run 1,13,000 KMs.

Niggles that I have faced in last 25K kms are as below

1.Hazard light getting stuck due to which my indicators weren't working. MASS told to get entire unit replaced which costs some 1,700 INR !!
I requested him to repair. After couple of requests finally he removed the hazard light switch. Now everything is fine except there is no hazard light.

2. Rear suspension was completely gone. MASS told they will replace spring coils and suspension This would cost some 3,000 INR. Got only suspension replaced by local mechanic for 900 INR. ride is good now.

3. A/C gas leakage problem. AC wasn’t working due to gas leakage. Got A/C repaired for 2,000 INR.

4. Some time back front DISK brake had come out not sure what was the problem. I was not here. My brother got it fixed. i think repair cost was around 2000 INR

5. Car after starting within minute it used to stall This happened in peak traffic. I had to accelerate hard to stop the car from switching off. Later took it to MASS. They replaced some O-ring. I was new to cars that time so not sure what MASS did. It worked fine after that.

6. Brake has become quite spongy. MASS advised to get the brake booster replaced which costs 4,000 INR.

7. I had observed small leak near petrol tank. Last month after service, MASS advised that tank is weak. So needs to be replaced. Cost is 4,500 INR

8. Fuel pump had failed once. I was not with car. My brother got it fixed.

Carb Zen owners, have you ever faced any of the above mentioned issue?

or if any new, kindly post here so as to proactively get the problem fixed or checked!
recshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:38   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 172
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Will just quote one recent personal experience :
I was having some noise fron the left front side whenever the car went over even a 'pebble'. I couldnt figure it out myself so showed it to the MASS center.
They concluded it in 2 minutes and blamed that the suspension had gone for a toss. Estimate given was close to 12k+ for a suspension overhaul. I was like , since I knew the suspension overhaul was done 10k kms back and was very good.

Next morning, I showed it to a friendly mechanic.
He drove the car, took exactly 10 minutes to remove the wheel and fix an internal bolt in that area, and the noise was gone.
He didnt ask for anything but I paid him 100 bucks anyways and drove away happily.
That's gr8 man! I should get somebody like that. My instinct says that it should be such small issues. But these SC guys do not listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Do you mind telling us the name of the MASS that is charging you like this.
It's a My TVS all car outlet near Medavakkam, Bhagavati Auto Works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
2. Rear suspension was completely gone. MASS told they will replace spring coils and suspension This would cost some 3,000 INR. Got only suspension replaced by local mechanic for 900 INR. ride is good now.
As mentioned my whole front suspension assembly was changed for which I was charged Rs.8K.

If there is any local mechanic in and around Medavakkam, Chennai, who is good like the one quoted by jigbarai, please let me know.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:31   #6
BHPian
 
ElantraGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 442
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Crank, a friend of my uncle is an expert in maruthi service, will check out with him and let you know. He deals with used car sales now and i always give my car to him for service. He doesnt have a garage so i used to make him come to my uncles house and i geta good insight of the issues faced on my car and the ways to rectify them (live he he he!!) Please PM your mobile number i will update you.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 08:39   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 156
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

My cousin brother has Zen Carby , Its much abused beyond our imagination , but still it drives like dream & no problem so what-so-ever . His zen has done about 90XXX kms .

After some NICE UNBROTHERLY talks from me , he got his car fully repainted & some nick nack issues repaired & now drives like a mini passionate car driver :-)
passion4cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 09:05   #8
BHPian
 
andre1774's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 46
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

i think it is time to avoid the Maruti service center. try the Torque Auto, at the end of velachery road near Srp tools. He does a good job and definately not so expensive like MASS or even TVS. well trained and experienced guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
That's gr8 man! I should get somebody like that. My instinct says that it should be such small issues. But these SC guys do not listen.



It's a My TVS all car outlet near Medavakkam, Bhagavati Auto Works.



As mentioned my whole front suspension assembly was changed for which I was charged Rs.8K.

If there is any local mechanic in and around Medavakkam, Chennai, who is good like the one quoted by jigbarai, please let me know.
andre1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 10:39   #9
BHPian
 
Aston.Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 146
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Mine is 2001 Carb Zen, has covered 88000. I am facing difficulties with water leakage in the cabin from behind dash board. When it rains or when the car is washed water gets in and the floor gets flooded.

I did take her to the service center, mechs claims to have fixed the issue and charged me for the same but water still gets in. Have to take her to the service center again.

Has anyone faced similar issues ?
Aston.Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 10:50   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 541
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

^^ AM
Not faced yet, but heard abt it.
Take it to the SC. Since you've already paid for it, they shud've done the job perfectly. Ask them to wash it in front of you and show them the leakage.

Challange them why wasnt it checked before they claimed to have fixed it. If they dilly dally or refuse to correct it; threaten them to report the incident to Maruti. (Since you have proper bill / documents.)
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 11:25   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 285
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
That's gr8 man! I should get somebody like that. My instinct says that it should be such small issues. But these SC guys do not listen.



It's a My TVS all car outlet near Medavakkam, Bhagavati Auto Works.



As mentioned my whole front suspension assembly was changed for which I was charged Rs.8K.

If there is any local mechanic in and around Medavakkam, Chennai, who is good like the one quoted by jigbarai, please let me know.
changed my front suspension for 4 k at MASS, Mumbai
udaydesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 16:09   #12
BHPian
 
Aston.Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 146
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
^^ AM
Not faced yet, but heard abt it.
Take it to the SC. Since you've already paid for it, they shud've done the job perfectly. Ask them to wash it in front of you and show them the leakage.

Challange them why wasnt it checked before they claimed to have fixed it. If they dilly dally or refuse to correct it; threaten them to report the incident to Maruti. (Since you have proper bill / documents.)
I did take her back but they could not find where water was coming from, they removed the black plastic part near the bonnet couldn't figure out. They finally asked me to leave the car for a day which I am yet to.

And that was not a MASS so there is no use contacting Maruti.
Aston.Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 21:34   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore.
Posts: 640
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

hey Crank,

My close friend owns 2000 carb zen.he has done 120k in this zen. The other day since he wanted to drive my ANHC, i was forced to drive his ZEN to the club.

It was a 100% change how this car was behaving from the time i last drove it. I could sense the rear doing a Shakira, believe me! The horn has its own way of saying hello to others, the brake was not at all responding. The shocks was coming into my skeleton directly.

For once, i thought this change is because i drive a ANHC all the while. But i did speak to my friend on this, he simply said i need to "GET EVERYTHING REPLACED IN HER"
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 13:56   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 172
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre1774 View Post
i think it is time to avoid the Maruti service center. try the Torque Auto, at the end of velachery road near Srp tools. He does a good job and definately not so expensive like MASS or even TVS. well trained and experienced guys.
I hope I have seen this. There wil be lot of cars parked on the side of the road near SRP tools. Is that the one you are quoting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
My close friend owns 2000 carb zen.he has done 120k in this zen. The other day since he wanted to drive my ANHC, i was forced to drive his ZEN to the club.

It was a 100% change how this car was behaving from the time i last drove it. I could sense the rear doing a Shakira, believe me! The horn has its own way of saying hello to others, the brake was not at all responding. The shocks was coming into my skeleton directly.

For once, i thought this change is because i drive a ANHC all the while. But i did speak to my friend on this, he simply said i need to "GET EVERYTHING REPLACED IN HER"
Quote:
Originally Posted by passion4cars View Post
My cousin brother has Zen Carby , Its much abused beyond our imagination , but still it drives like dream & no problem so what-so-ever . His zen has done about 90XXX kms .
Same car two different treatment. I hope its all in the way the car is maintained besides the 30K difference in mileage as the car tends to grow older at a faster rate beyond such a mileage.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 14:00   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 172
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Abt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Hey crank, I own a 2000 Zen. Except for the silencer noise that you mentioned i dont see much problem. For these issues i give it to my local mechanic to fix things. For general service and major replacement (after double checking with my mechanic) i take it to the MASS. Do you mind telling us the name of the MASS that is charging you like this. I will best avoid them. I always take my car to ABT in guindy. I have good experience with them so far.
I told to one of my friends about this post and he had an exactly opposite experience from ABT. He says ABT is a place to avoid. Probably as you said one has to check with a local mechanic and only after you are doubly sure that the replacement is warranted, then one can go with a MASS like ABT.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America vivekiny2k The International Automotive Scene 5668 26th March 2017 18:49
Sunbeam Rapier Series 1 - Advice on Restoring and Maintaining Jehan-Sam Post-War 74 25th November 2015 08:45
Zen and the Art of Buying your First Car the_trooper Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 30 21st March 2013 18:16
Cleaning and Maintaining Head Units souravbasu In-Car Entertainment 43 13th November 2009 23:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:31.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks