Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd October 2013, 13:02   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Palio 1.2 2002 Gears Jammed (Is it the clutch master cylinder?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Had same problem last month when the gears were jammed and I was not able to change gear when engine was on. So switched off engine, put it in 1st gear and started with the clutch pressed. The car jumped a bit and started with the gears working properly. No problems after that. Does Palio have hydraulic clutch, is it something to do with hydraulic pressure?
Yes Palio has a hydraulic clutch. I'd recommend you get your clutch assembly checked -> master cylinder/slave cylinde/ plates/release bearing. You might be ignoring some alerts from your car.
zoombiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2013, 21:46   #32
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Fiat Palio 1.2 2002 Gears Jammed (Is it the clutch master cylinder?)

I went and took possession of the car. I will check up with some of the other workshops mentioned in the post.

Aadya charged me the Rs.2500/- (for estimate) + Rs.950/- (for general inspection).

I debated with them on the estimation charges for Rs.2500/- and paid only Rs.1000/-

Do you think they overcharged me?

Again, thanks to all for your help.

I will keep you updated on the status

Thanks,
blrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 11:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
I went and took possession of the car. I will check up with some of the other workshops mentioned in the post.

Aadya charged me the Rs.2500/- (for estimate) + Rs.950/- (for general inspection).

I debated with them on the estimation charges for Rs.2500/- and paid only Rs.1000/-

Do you think they overcharged me?

Again, thanks to all for your help.

I will keep you updated on the status

Thanks,
Cant comment, as I dont know what effort they put into the estimation. But I have a feeling they actually did not do much,
zoombiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 22:35   #34
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

[quote]
Quote:
Hand brake sign comes on when brake/clutch fluid level drops. This usually drops when the master or slave cylinders develop leaks. If either one of them develops a leak, the pressure at which fluid is pumped to the clutch assembly will drop drastically and will not activate the clutch system. I very much doubt there is any real issue with the gear assembly[/QUOTE
@zoombiee , you are absolutely right on the above. This was exactly the problem,as identified by my cousin who travelled 350 kms to check this for me. From mid-noon on Sunday, he with littl help from me, inspected the car starting with break fluid.We filled it first, then found that the problem is due to the air pressure not being released and replaced the clutch slave cylinder. We went to JC Road,found most of the shops were closed and at last found one shop from where we got the slave cylinder, came back and fitted it. The hard gear problem was resolved.

As pointed out by the ASS guys, I found silencer had a small hole. My next target is to replace it.I am planning to give it to SV Car Tech.

I also replaced all the oils in my car - gear oil,coolant and filled in synthetic oil. I bought the oild and too it to SV Car tech.All done with Rs.400/-

Thanks again for all the help provided by you and other team-bhpians. Team-bhp rocks!

Thanks,
blrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2014, 21:03   #35
BHPian

Default Maruti Suzuki A-Star - manual gearbox jammed in 1st gear

Hi slightly OT.

I have been experiencing some major issues with my Astar since the past 6 months. My silver Astar ZXi is an August 2010 model clocked close to 45000 kms with both city and highways runs. Uptill the past 6 months, never had any issues with my car.

Recently, while dropping my parents to the airport and returning. My gearbox got jammed in the first gear. Now luckily this was in the parking lot of Bengaluru Airport. The gear wouldn't budge from 1st. Tried pumping the clutch several times and it just wouldn't budge. Called the Maruti 24x7 helpline and got it towed to Maruti service station. Here the problem couldn't be replicated and they said everything was fine.

THe next incident happened near my office, put the car in reverse and parked it. While trying to get home in the evening, the gear wouldn't budge from reverse to any other gear.

Now the local service station tells me my gearbox is conked and needs replacement.

Can the experts put some light here on this issue ???

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Aniketh
drhoneycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 19:16   #36
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Now the local service station tells me my gearbox is conked and needs replacement.
aniketh - what is the update on the gearbox issue on the A Star ? I was wondering what happened.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote