Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st November 2009, 14:57   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
....There is so much of R&D in the automotive sector and I am sure they could have found out a solution to make zero error mirrors, way back.
Surprising they haven't as yet, or they must have retained the same for a reason.
Actually i was reading about this 2-3years back.

Scientists in some lab somewhere developed a mirror that could cover a wider field of view, without making objects look closer. It was one of those vague science-reporting articles that didn't really disclose too much. Ofcourse one of the key applications was in the automobile sector. Sorry i dont remember much more, but perhaps someone else can dig up the link.

cyaR
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 17:07   #17
BHPian

or you can just use bigger mirrors
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:11   #18
BHPian

Its a common sense and simple science. One need to view a large area in the r ear to adopt to the traffic conditions. Which a flat mirror wont do.

Just in the case of a wide angle camera lens. When you have to view a large area, its obvious things will be small.

Isnt that easy?

Last edited by ThE Godfather : 2nd November 2009 at 20:12.
ThE Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:28   #19
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Not always. One of the OVRM can be convex and other one can be flat regular. This setting will depend on left hand drive or right hand drive. Driver side mirror in this case would be flat. Reason is very simple here. Driver can judge the accurate distance from a flat mirror and he'll (hopefully) have time and reflex to correct his course. On his other side that convex mirror is to give him a wide angle view of the road and traffic behind. Basically this is for those countries where people obey traffic rules.

I don't know which all cars here in India provide this flat/convex ORVM mirrors combination. But for instance, I my car has them.

+1 to Rudra sir. In my Elantra, the left ORVM is Flat beacuse I need it to measure my distance accurately as I park my car near the compund wall on the left. I need to reverse my car and trust me the Flat mirror is really useful to help me park my car without scratching her anywhere on teh wall. My right ORVM is Convex and its helpful in heavy traffic to watchout for the speeding bullets (Autos) of chennai traffic.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
+1 to Rudra sir. In my Elantra, the left ORVM is Flat beacuse I need it to measure my distance accurately as I park my car near the compund wall on the left. I need to reverse my car and trust me the Flat mirror is really useful to help me park my car without scratching her anywhere on teh wall. My right ORVM is Convex and its helpful in heavy traffic to watchout for the speeding bullets (Autos) of chennai traffic.
Hmm interesting.

Contrary to your experience, both the cars I have owned (Mazda 626/ Hyundai i10) had/has convex mirrors on both sides.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Interesting indeed ! The cars I have had so far were fitted only with convex mirrors on both sides.

@Hari: The characteristics of your ORVMs (convex and flat), have they been like this from the factory or modified by you to suit your needs ?
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 02:47   #22
BHPian

The Right ORVM has "objects are closer than they appear", whereas the left does not.
also the field of view on the right is better than the field of view on the left.

I have a Type 1 OHC.
I have not changed the ORVM, but the previous owner might have.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 03:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Driver side mirror in this case would be flat. Reason is very simple here. Driver can judge the accurate distance from a flat mirror and he'll (hopefully) have time and reflex to correct his course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
+1 to Rudra sir. In my Elantra, the left ORVM is Flat beacuse I need it to measure my distance accurately as I park my car near the compund wall on the left.
How is that +1? your driver side mirror would be at the right side. isn't it? neither does the parking logic apply to the ORVMs.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 04:44   #24
BHPian

Default ORVMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
The convexity is not an error. It's a matter of simple physics which you'd certainly have studied in high school. To encompass the same field of vision, a flat mirror will need to be much larger than a convex one. Since compactness is the order of the day, large mirrors are unacceptable to most car designers. There's also the safety element -- large mirrors break more easily and can cause more damage. An alternative that's often seen is to have a (mostly) flat mirror and a small circular high-convex mirror within it for greater depth of field.
A compromise between the flat mirror and the convex mirror is to buy a couple of small circular high-convex mirror ( stick on type, cheaply available ) & stick it to the flat ORVMs. You will have the benifits of both the mirrors.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
A compromise between the flat mirror and the convex mirror is to buy a couple of small circular high-convex mirror ( stick on type, cheaply available ) & stick it to the flat ORVMs. You will have the benifits of both the mirrors.
These stick on mirrors (sold as blind spot mirrors) are not really recommended by car manufacturers (They say that sticking anything on the actual ORVM might hamper the field of vision/clarity of vision)
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:04   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Today almost all rhs mirrors are convex, which make images appear somewhat smaller (and hence farther). LHS are more of a mix. The advantage of flat is that it is cheaper, and gives the right perspective in terms of perceived distance. I personally do not like this as then the distance perception is different for both the mirrors.

There is always a compromise between the mirror size and field of view. Industry over the years has more or less standardized and I am all for it. I hate lorrie with matchbox sized mirrors. In any case the drivers neevr use them. Also, see the number of cars witht he mirrors folded. It is a big pain, you park your car, and when you return the mirrors have been folded by some well meaning joker. Than God that now some high and mid end cars are coming with automatically folding ORVMs.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Yes Sir. Mr sgiitk is correct.

All rear view mirrors of an "acceptable quality level" and for use in motoring are supposed to be convex and owing to this convex aspect make objects visible in them appear a little farther than they actually are.

years ago when I had a Kawasaki Bajaj bike when I cracked one of the ORVM's and went to replace it, I was told by the mech that I had two choices - a proper branded mirror for Rs 180/- and an un branded one for Rs 100/- - on viewing both it was eminently clear that the branded one was a of a far superior quality - it had a clear convex aspect and it also had a light grey tint which helped a lot at night with headlights shining directly on it. the trouble was that in the 90's in madras it was great fun for some infidels to steal bike mirrors - till many people started reinforcing the mirror mounting screw threads with superglue to make it extremely difficult to steal!

Nowadays the same "Branded" vs "Un-branded" product exists for almost all regular cars and bikes and is not dependent on RHS or LHS - just a matter of cost vs benefit.

personally I would always suggest replacement purchase of a proper branded convex tinted rear view mirror - it really makes a difference while driving, especially at night.

[quote=sgiitk;1562776]Today almost all rhs mirrors are convex, which make images appear somewhat smaller (and hence farther). LHS are more of a mix. The advantage of flat is that it is cheaper, and gives the right perspective in terms of perceived distance. I personally do not like this as then the distance perception is different for both the mirrors.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd November 2009 at 11:28.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:40   #28
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1369998

I have two large flat mirrors. The driver side has a wide field of view because its right under my nose (check that out: stick your face near the mirror and you can see the entire right rear view of your position).

The left mirror is pointed towards my rear left tyre: great for avoiding tyre rub on pavement. The tiny stick-on ball-mounted mirror (buy the best quality you can!) is angled so I get a wide field of view of the entire left rear view of my viewing position. Best of all worlds!
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 14:30   #29
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Interesting indeed ! The cars I have had so far were fitted only with convex mirrors on both sides.

@Hari: The characteristics of your ORVMs (convex and flat), have they been like this from the factory or modified by you to suit your needs ?
@Ravindhran: Sorry i was out of town for the past couple of days. Yes I changed the left ORVM when I purchased this vehicle. The only catch is that the Right side convex RVM has antiglare properties and during night travel it cuts out the headlight haze coming from the vehicles in the rear. The left side flat mirror does not have this property. I was not able to source the left ORVM with antiglare property. I got this mirror from Gp road only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
How is that +1? your driver side mirror would be at the right side. isn't it? neither does the parking logic apply to the ORVMs.
Vivek, I was quoting "can judge the accurate distance from a flat mirror" from Rundra sirs response.

It does apply to parking as I have to park on the left side of the streeet and there is some kind of debris near the wall so my car will be parked in a inclided manner. The road is a 20 feet road with encrochments, unless I park my car as close as humanly possible to the compound wall my car will get lots of scratches from the passing vehicles.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote