Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th November 2009, 14:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veegeerocks View Post
Dear All,

A friend's petra has developed engine issues. The engine light goes on every 1.5 K Kms and he is required to top up the engine oil. The engine maybe consuming oil. He bought the car used just a few months ago. The car runs beautifully and absolutely no dip in power or performance. On checking with a mechanic in Bangalore, he said there was certain batch of Petras released in 2004, which right from the factory had latent engine defects. He said he had dealt with similar cars before, where getting parts etc were such a pain that, he suggested to us that the best way going forward is chaging half engine along with heads which obviously costs over the roof (86K). Or he said, just keep topping up the oil and drive the car..it should run fine a good bit, like 10-20K kms.

Have any of you faced similar problems? Could the problem be fixed with change of rings? or is the problem much bigger? Who is the best mech in Bangalore to consult on this issue? Also, can the matter be taken up with Fiat at all?? Considering its manufacturing defect and nothing to do with some wear and tear parts.

Need all your suggestions and feedback asap.
Hi Veegee,

Is the car giving out white smoke from the exhaust during idle or acceleration? If so, I believe the piston rings would be worn out and hence consuming and burning engine oil. In this case the engine would have to be overhauled.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 10:59   #17

@ Deepgautham - that mech said he has the chasis list...i ll try get it from him and send it across...how long has this been happening with your car..the good thing is you only need to top the engine oil once in 5K kms...in this case..its once in 1 to 1.5K kms....

@ DRC - Hariprasad happened to mention about it bcos he's apparently had two or three different cars which have approched him with exactly same issue...and he s raked his head so much over it previously without finding a good solution ...that the moment he saw our car and heard the problem...he shot out saying that...but well, I would still like to believe its not as conclusive as he made it sounds without any alternative...which is why im asking all the BHPians to suggest what can possibly be done...last resort is to keep toppin up and driving till the engine dies one fine day...

@ Epic - i dont really see much of white smoke or any such issues...no power loss either...but perhaps because the problem may still be in its early stage...

@JVH - I l have to put the ATS on your trail...lol...well..this problem has apparently arisen with some palio s as well..there s been a S10 lying in his garage forever now...with same or worse engine problem.

Is there anything we can do to take up the issue with FIAT? Im the lawyer here...but just want to knwo if any of you have been through any issues where they ve taken up the matter with the company and got anywhere with it?
veegeerocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 14:34   #18
BANNED

Ask your mech to check the spark plugs condition . If the plug has soot or has some oil deposits then the rings might be the culprit . If the plugs are normal then the head valves need to be checked ,particulalry the exhaust valves . . Might be an oil seal is blown .

If the plugs are oily then the intake valves , pistons , rings , bore etc have to be checked .

Try a compression test to locate the problem . If the rings are blown the compression wuld be lower . If compression is normal then the head is the culprit .
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 15:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veegeerocks View Post
@ Deepgautham - that mech said he has the chasis list...i ll try get it from him and send it across...how long has this been happening with your car..the good thing is you only need to top the engine oil once in 5K kms...in this case..its once in 1 to 1.5K kms....
First time I encountered this problem in April 07 (after 3 years from purchase). My Petra is going to take Compression Test during next service, due in next month. I'll post the test results on the forum.

Cheers,
Deepak
deepgautam_qa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 16:04   #20
BHPian

My two cents: The engine on the Petra is the same as the Palio 1.6 that is still being sold by Fiat and hence supported for service by the Tata-Fiat network. Please take the car to Concorde-Hosur road (best IMHO) and get it checked professionally.
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 19:30   #21
BHPian

At first glance you machanic seems to be misleading by a mile. Please go through archives of Palio users group on yahoo if you are already a member.
neosmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 21:13   #22
Rai
BHPian

Default 2004?/ I don't think so

Hello,
I don't think 2004 year has any issue.
I too had been to HariPrasad Garage, but biggest drawback of that guy is, he doesn't have scanner.
May be you can try Prerana Motors in 'Old Madras Road' and meet. Mr. Sunder there. Good Guy. Ask him to do the scan and 99% he will find the issue.

I felt Mr. Shivaram (from erstwhile Manipal Motors) is good. He has joined the new TATA dealer coming up in ITPL Road (Infact, I heard, most of the good Mechanics from erstwhile Manilpal Motors have joined here) KHB Motors. Once they open their shop (may be in next two weeks) you can visit there too. Shivaram is a very knowledgeable in Petra.

Another Good Petra Mechanics I found recently is from AUTOMATRIX in Mangalore. They too are good.

I think your Petra has been mis-diagnosed sofar. Most of the outside Mechanics don't understand the FIAT technology and hence they have their own stories. Don't believe them. Visit Authorised Dealer. Get your Petra Scanned properly and you will know the truth
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 23:30   #23
DRC
BHPian

+1 Rai,
He depends on Sundaram for scanning, rather just deleting the DTC without even reading them.
Slightly Off topic but like to share an incedent for benifit of all, which convinced me to move away from his services.

After a shunt with a police vehicle, I left my Petra at Hariprasad for accident repairs. I got the car back in about 2 weeks and the car was pretty good after the repairs. In fact I had been keeping a close watch during the repairs.

After a few days problem started. Engine would stall all of a sudden, particularly in heavy traffic. Check engine light would come up. I went back to Hariprasad, I was told it was a "common problem with Petra/1.6 engine and ignition module needs to be changed.

I was innocent at that time and agrees to change, damage 5K. I asked them to check with scanner to which he said, they took the car to Sundaram and got it checked. Later, they again took there and got the errors deleted.

2 days later proble promptly re-appears.
New suspect now is ECU, damage 35K. I got ****** off and decided to find out myself, built my scanner myself, thanks to Fiat-forum. And it turned out that issued with the manifold air pressure, which meant MAP sensor. I removed the MAP sensor and found thick dust/paint on the sensor. Reason: all the time it was under repair air box was absent!

Cleaned the sensor and no problem till now, even past 30K after the incident. I have a perfectly fine ignition module to spare.

Last edited by DRC : 7th November 2009 at 23:32. Reason: format
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 04:25   #24

So as an action point.I am supposed to get the scanner test for the car to check the ECU reading for any errors? Is that right? Also do I have to put the car through a compression test to see for loss of any compression? As of now, the car still runs fantastically...so like "Greatmana2000" suggested, it may even be the head. the intake or outlet valves?

Will existence of any such issues show up when I put the vehicle on scanner? Also, which is the best place to undertake this scanning for Petra in B'lore? Concorde Hosur road or Concorde Mysore road? or Prerana Motors which "Rai" suggested?

Please keep me posted. Thanks for all the inputs so far. More such recommendations/suggestions are much welcome.
veegeerocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 11:27   #25
Rai
BHPian

Default Built your own Scanner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
+1 Rai,
decided to find out myself, built my scanner myself, thanks to Fiat-forum. And it turned out that issued with the manifold air pressure, which meant MAP sensor..
DRC, what do you mean you built your Scanner for Petra.?
How did you do that? Please shed some light on this? I am too interested. Let me know the details.

VeegeeRocks, Yes you need to Scan the ECU of your Engine in Detail to know the issue. You have to goto Tata Dealer for it. There are many independent Garages in Bangalore who have General Scanners now a days. But those guys too, doesn't know much about Fiat. Doesn't know to interpret the issue pointed.
Don't just Repair/Replace componets believing the General Mechanics. As I said earlier, most Mechanics doesn't understand Fiat Technology and they have their own set of Stores.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote