Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2009, 14:25   #31
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

As promised, here are updated pics post detailing. sorry about the Mr. Blurry Mobile Cam!

Also, good news - Rear windshield rattle has stopped - Culprit. Broken shards of glass in the rear stop lmap.

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-14112009265.jpg

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-14112009267.jpg

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-07112009264.jpg

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-07112009262.jpg

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-07112009256.jpg
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 15:40   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
hillram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,832
Thanked: 937 Times
Default

Thats one choc-a-bloc parking lot i have ever seen.Is it near your apartment?There are numper to Bumper cars parked.How does one ever get out in an Emergency?
hillram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 09:09   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
Ramsagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore-Nellore
Posts: 1,327
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

First let me Congratulate on owing this beauty. You've got the job done at right place from right people.

Get your injectors,de carbonization & also fuel tank cleaned. Would be beauty to drive.
Nojy the babe.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 10:40   #34
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
First let me Congratulate on owing this beauty. You've got the job done at right place from right people.

Get your injectors,de carbonization & also fuel tank cleaned. Would be beauty to drive.
Nojy the babe.
Thank You. I assume you have been to Shailender at Milan Auto before - He seems to know his stuff quite well and was very nice to deal with. I think, my first order of business would be to get the injectors cleaned, throttle body cleaned and maybe fuel lines and tanks.

But I would not want to get a decarb done for the simple reason that you could inadvertentley remove 'good' carbon deposits.

The second stage would be working on the brakes and front suspension and some minor body work to eliminate rust ridden areas.

Lastly, I would look at getting the Pipercross air filter and checking on any cooling issues!

Phew.... thats a lot of work to be done, but I am excited to have this completed over the next few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Thats one choc-a-bloc parking lot i have ever seen.Is it near your apartment?There are numper to Bumper cars parked.How does one ever get out in an Emergency?
Actually that is my office and we have quite a large number of valets here who park and retreive your car. Also, this is a Saturday, so there are a fewer number of cars in the lot than on a regular weekday!
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 23:53   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 189
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Hi Vcash
Milan Auto whom you are referring to who is at Santacruz is a specialist for Palio/Siena?
I am having issues with the headlight wiring of my Petra and i need to find someone who can solve the issue once and for all.
The low beams dont light up and wherever i have given the car for repairs and also added this issue to be solved, they just play with some wires inside the bonnet and it starts working but only for few days.
rikhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 10:04   #36
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
Hi Vcash
Milan Auto whom you are referring to who is at Santacruz is a specialist for Palio/Siena?
I am having issues with the headlight wiring of my Petra and i need to find someone who can solve the issue once and for all.
The low beams dont light up and wherever i have given the car for repairs and also added this issue to be solved, they just play with some wires inside the bonnet and it starts working but only for few days.
I do not know if they are a specialist in Palio's / Siena's but I think that they know there stuff quite well. Like I mentioned before they are tuners more than a regular repair garage.

Try them out if you like or wait till I get back with my report post my service in a few weeks.

Thanks.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 23:33   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 189
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
I do not know if they are a specialist in Palio's / Siena's but I think that they know there stuff quite well. Like I mentioned before they are tuners more than a regular repair garage.

Try them out if you like or wait till I get back with my report post my service in a few weeks.

Thanks.

I will eagerly await your report.
Just want to decide from now where to give my car for service where they guys are experienced with Palio/Siena and dont try to rip us off. Since the car will complete 5 years will want advise about changing belts, discs and other things needing attention
rikhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 14:51   #38
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Update - The GTX off late had started to rev itself quite often and sometimes the engine would also cut out - This was very common at traffic signals when the car was in neutral.

One day, she simply would not power the wheels - My first instinct was "Crap, Broken Axle?". But then after some high revving to clear the injectors, she drove fine.

Anyway, I took the car to Shailender and asked him to clean my injectors and fuel lines. His recommendation was to look at that as a last resort and he checked my spark plugs which happened to have shorted - These were replaced for Rs. 600.

The second thing he did was clean the throttle body and found a lot of deposits around the IC. He cleaned that. This too cost Rs.600.

So the end result is that the car does not rev itself or stall anymore, however now I do sense some missing taking place above 3.5K RPM and also the NVH seems to have increased by 25%.

Any ideas on what is amiss here?

P.S. Did two Fuel Cycles:
1) 6.8 KMPL: Mumbai City Snarls with AC
2) 4.6 KMPL: Super Mumbai City Snarls with a lot of Self Revving!!!
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 15:18   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
planet_rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bong-land
Posts: 2,320
Thanked: 365 Times
Default

TB cleaning - 600 INR? that is way too high? were you present at the time of cleaning? you can use System G with regular petrol from now on.

Second, 4~6KPL - What is the distance that you drive (irrespective of Traffic and AC)? My car returns an average of 6KPL without AC (average distance from point A to B - 5kms)
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 15:31   #40
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
TB cleaning - 600 INR? that is way too high? were you present at the time of cleaning? you can use System G with regular petrol from now on.

Second, 4~6KPL - What is the distance that you drive (irrespective of Traffic and AC)? My car returns an average of 6KPL without AC (average distance from point A to B - 5kms)
I was not present at the time of cleaning, but from earlier reviews and previous experience with Shaliender - I don't think he would rip me off. Apart from TB cleaning, he also cleaned the IC.

I don't drive the car daily. But when I do - it's anything between 20 kms to 30 kms. Ofcourse there are shorter runs to the market etc. as well which would be under 2 kms.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 16:06   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
planet_rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bong-land
Posts: 2,320
Thanked: 365 Times
Default

you mean the Idle Control Valve (ICV) right which is present inside the Throttle Body? The TB in the 1.6 cannot be opened up like in the 1.2. They will most likely use a TB cleaning spray clean the gum in and around the ICV which controls the air flow.

But since you are happy with the work i am sure there is nothing to worry about the charges

Enjoy the car - take care and drive safe.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 13:53   #42
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Additional update:
After a little more extensive driving, here are the problems I am now facing post getting the TB and ICV cleaned and sparkplugs changed.
1) Cold Start in the morning takes a very long time. Atleast 4 to 5 ignition cycles.
2) The car is hitting dead spots above 3K RPM. I am now sure of this - Loss of power delivery , then a massive jerk.
3) Engine is not revving itself but sometimes at idle, the rev meter bounces below 1K RPM and sometimes stalls on it's own.

Experts - Please advise on what I should have looked at now. Thanks!
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 11:01   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
planet_rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bong-land
Posts: 2,320
Thanked: 365 Times
Default

the same old palio problem. Keep it like that.

Possible reasons:
1. sticky ICV
2. bad fuel

try and use System G with regular fuel - use as per directions - i have been using it since 48K on the odo.

Reset the ECU once - disconnect the negative terminal for 10minutes // and the ECU connectors.

Does the car regain power after the jerk? if yes then i guess the ICV is still sticky.

Related thread: Technical: Palio 1.6 - stalling problem - The FIAT Forum
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 17:35   #44
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
the same old palio problem. Keep it like that.

Possible reasons:
1. sticky ICV
2. bad fuel

try and use System G with regular fuel - use as per directions - i have been using it since 48K on the odo.

Reset the ECU once - disconnect the negative terminal for 10minutes // and the ECU connectors.

Does the car regain power after the jerk? if yes then i guess the ICV is still sticky.
Thanks for the reference and the info. Fuel quality should not be bad, considering I only fill petrol at IOC company owned & operated bunks.

The car does regain power after the jerk. Will have the ICV looked at once again.

Spoke with Karizma_Devil as well and he felt that it might be an ignition coil issue. Will have that looked at too.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 17:41   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
planet_rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bong-land
Posts: 2,320
Thanked: 365 Times
Default

AFAIK - ignition coil issues will make the car sputter like its missing a beat.

Also the jerks are not regular right - i mean do you get the jerks always at 3000 rpm? // only when the car is hot.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 14th December 2009 at 17:43.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Performance twins on a Budget- Palio 1.6 GTX Vs Ikon 1.6 (Edit - Its a Palio 1.6 GTX) Makesh Hatchbacks 48 9th October 2012 01:34
The GTX arriveth. Palio 1.6 GTX thedragula Long-Term Ownership Reviews 36 12th June 2011 12:40
2002 palio 1.6 GTX (or) 2006 Baleno (or) New palio stile 1.6 sports (or) Ford fusion Mr_Bean Hatchbacks 31 16th December 2010 17:12
PALIO 1.6 GTX 2001-1.5 LAKHS?? ( calling all palio GTX owners ) karizma_devil Hatchbacks 18 28th December 2008 13:04
hyd guys:for sale:2002 palio 1.6 gtx aadix Shifting gears 1 22nd April 2005 18:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks