Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th December 2009, 12:31   #46
BHPian

@ Planet - if you remeber few months back my S10 had simillar problems, ( jerking, auto revving, stalling ) throttle body cleaning & changing tghe fuel pump relay solved all .

Some logic to VC's problem ( I might be wrong)-

-misfiring: because there are four coils, failure of one of them will not strand you -but misfiring is bad for the catalytic .

-Loss of power avove 3000 rpm -The spark plugs are not getting enough voltage at higher RPM or when going to high speed. At normal operation the spark plug only needs about 5 to 20kv. The ignition coil must have a reserve higher voltage on demand as the RPM goes to redline.Since he has recently replaced the spak plugs, better to check the coil pack.

- Bouncing RPM - Could be sticky throttle , i am not sure if a bad ignition coil could cause that

- Long cranks to fire cold - Ignition coils creates high voltage to fire the spark plugs , bad coil will make it hard to start. even it leads to suddemn stalling usually when engine is hot .
karizma_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 12:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
@ Planet - if you remeber few months back my S10 had simillar problems, ( jerking, auto revving, stalling ) throttle body cleaning & changing tghe fuel pump relay solved all .
Hmmm! but you never updated your S10 Thread. Specific/possible solution details are not there.

Quote:
-misfiring: because there are four coils, failure of one of them will not strand you -but misfiring is bad for the catalytic .
So if i am to replace the Coil Pack - so much will it set me back - will i get the Original ' MM' one ?

Quote:
-Loss of power avove 3000 rpm -The spark plugs are not getting enough voltage at higher RPM or when going to high speed. At normal operation the spark plug only needs about 5 to 20kv. The ignition coil must have a reserve higher voltage on demand as the RPM goes to redline.Since he has recently replaced the spak plugs, better to check the coil pack.
Thanks for the info - but i still believe it is the sticky TB since he gets power after the jerks at 3000rpm.

Quote:
- Bouncing RPM - Could be sticky throttle , i am not sure if a bad ignition coil could cause that
Sticky Throttle Body (TB).

Quote:
- Long cranks to fire cold - Ignition coils creates high voltage to fire the spark plugs , bad coil will make it hard to start. even it leads to sudden stalling usually when engine is hot .
could be a weak battery - Morning/Cold starts require 2 cranks in my car (OR if idle for more 8-10hours).

More heat in the TB will make the metal parts expand and more friction in the already sticky TB.
planet_rocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 14:24   #48
BHPian

@ planet - sorry i was bit lazy ..more over i smelled very less intrest in my S 10 Thread :-( .

- I have never replaced one but my guess it should be around 2100 inr.

- Well if there is power loss after 3000 RMP, though the jerking could be momentary it may be a bad coil.

-VC recently got his TB cleaned am apprensive about the bouncing RPM.

-My s 10 starts in 1 crank after 1 week of sitting idle. A weak battery would mean weak cranks, if VC is able to crank full on and still needs 4-5 cranks in cold start i though of the coil.

Guys am no Fiat guru, just that i have a 1.6 Fiat i shared my views based on my experience. I may be completely wrong !

Cheers.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:09   #49
Senior - BHPian

arey yaar! i am not a fiat tech. It could be the coil pack. may be we should wait for an update from him.

@ KD - the last post in your S10 thread is mine - never got a reply.

My car starts in one crank (Cold start) if i hold it a bit more which i always avoid.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 15th December 2009 at 15:11.
Old 16th December 2009, 14:38   #50
BHPian

Sorry for the delay - I have not had a chance to take her to the workshop yet. Will take her this weekend.

@PR; the jerks are sporadic post 3000 rpm. I will get the TB checked again as well as the ignition coils and the fuel pump relay.

@KD - Hope to see you Saturday, then maybe I can get a second opinion. Thanks.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 17:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sorry for the OT question, but is the clutch hard in all palios?

I have recently driven a Palio and trust me it was the hardest clutch i ever stepped on. The car in question had undergon the master cylender replacement and complete line bleeding for this problem still no go.

Pramod
pramodkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 18:51   #52
BHPian

Hi Vcash & Karizma_Devil
Sorry for not following the thread since a long time.

Since it has become a little cold then normal my Petra also needs a longer crank to start. This is when the engine is cold (car being not started for more then 12 hours). Once the engine has reached the optimum temperature the engine fires instantly.
I have also faced the issue of bad ignition coils few times in the 5 years i have the car. The engine vbrates a lot and there is lots of misfiring.
Last when i replaced it, i could not source it from any ***. I finally got it from Sagar Automobiles, Amboli. Not sure how it was for but if i remember it right it was anywhere between 1800 - 2100
Wanted to know that the the issues with cold start are related to the ignition coil or its normal with any car in a little cold atmosphere?
rikhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 11:10   #53
BHPian

Hi Pramod - While the GTX Clutch is slightly harder tna say those of Suzuki's & Honda's, I wouldn't label it as one of the hardest clutches ever.

P.S. This GTX is absolutely bonkers and I love it. Took her for a spin last night. Had not started the car in 2 days and this time she fired instantly at crank #1 and drove smoothly without any of the above mentioned issues.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:24   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
the same old palio problem. Keep it like that.
enjoy the car. let it enjoy its own mind and heart.
Old 17th December 2009, 12:21   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Hi Pramod - While the GTX Clutch is slightly harder tna say those of Suzuki's & Honda's, I wouldn't label it as one of the hardest clutches ever.

P.S. This GTX is absolutely bonkers and I love it. Took her for a spin last night. Had not started the car in 2 days and this time she fired instantly at crank #1 and drove smoothly without any of the above mentioned issues.
VC - Yes i have also experienced mood -swings.. its kind of PMS ...my s10 is no less mysterious.

@pramod - While i was look for my 1.6 Fiat , I test drove nearly 8-9 1.6 GTX cars. Few had really hard clutch , put few had spoongy.. few had perfect butter push. Lucky for me mine is butter push !

Infact a particular Wagon R clutch almost kickede back .. i had a sore ankle and knee after i had to drive it Mumbai to Pune !

@rikhav - Are your cranks healthy .. or they kind of fade .. if they fade then its the battery. And if after the engine fires..you still hear "kaarrr" kinda noise for few seconds from the starter as if its stuck ..then it might be the starter.
Else it just might be the cold weather.

Between in cooler temperatures do let the car idle for 2 mins before you drive on in the morning. Try not to floor the accelerator for next 4-5 kms ..just to make sure you do not harm the engine.
Old 17th December 2009, 19:45   #56
BHPian

Quote:
@rikhav - Are your cranks healthy .. or they kind of fade .. if they fade then its the battery. And if after the engine fires..you still hear "kaarrr" kinda noise for few seconds from the starter as if its stuck ..then it might be the starter.
Else it just might be the cold weather.

The cranks neither fade and no noise from the starter after the engine fires up. So i guess its the cold weather. Also my Petra does not run much. Sometimes for 2 or 3 days at a strech
rikhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 18:49   #57
BHPian

Default 70K Update!

It's been a solid 8 months since the acquisition of the GTX. I have put 5000 Kms on the odometer and the car has been pretty good, albeit 'quirky' at times.

The monsoons in Bombay reveal the true nature of any automobile and one of the issues that came out was water accumulation under the windscreen wipers and leakage into the passenger and driver footwells. Turns out that there was rust damage and this had to be rectified through some invasive surgery (Read: welding job). Apart from that a regular service was also much needed. The only other major fix that was needed was the axle bolts needed to be replaced as they cracked when I recklessly (yet unkowingly) drove into a huge pothole!

So she still drives well apart from burning fuel like no other (5 to 6Kmpl!) in Bombay traffic snarls. She also tends to rear her multiple personality disorder when occasionaly she rev's herself or stalls mid traffic (I call it long term training for Italian supercar bootcamp!). Still, she has not let me down and has always got me home safe and sound.

The one thing she has delivered time and over again is her agility in handling and the ability to move (And how!) when the roads open up - Never ceases to put a smile on my face!

The only other things remaining to get done are replacing the tyres (Waiting for a Figo's uprate deal to come along) and getting a minor door (Someone's door getting slammed into my door) dent removed.

I would have also liked to get a paintjob and a nice upholstery job but considering that I might only hold on to the car for another one year, this seems wasteful. I fantsized about a nice paintjob at Mazda Motors and then putting her into storage in Jamshedpur to become a future collectible classic but I was warned by my family at home, that they already feel that our driveway has more cars than the local mechanic has and they will not take another one into foster care!!

So here is the breakup of expenses since her last service, ICV cleaning, new sparkplugs and speed sensor replacement:
1) Regular service from a decent independent garage: Rs. 900 (Including parts & labor)
2) Welding Job & AC Gas recharge (Since the blower had to be disconnected): Rs. 2300
4) Axle Bolts replaced (Including labor and parts): Rs. 2100
5) Front speakers replaced: Rs. 1000
6) Audio System display repair: Rs. 500
6) Missing Badges replaced: Rs. 430

A grand total of Rs. 7,230.

So has it been worth it...... Absolutely!

And without further adieu, here are some pictures taken today on a misty Sunday morning.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-img_1050.jpg  

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-img_1045.jpg  

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-img_1046.jpg  

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-img_1048.jpg  

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-img_1049.jpg  

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-img_1034.jpg  

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-img_1037.jpg  

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-img_1039.jpg  

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-img_1041.jpg  

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-img_1044.jpg  

Last edited by vcash : 4th July 2010 at 18:59.
Old 4th July 2010, 18:53   #58
BHPian

A couple of interior pictures since I hit upload quota in my previous post:
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-img_1021.jpg  

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-img_1026.jpg  

Old 4th July 2010, 18:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

Nicely done vcash. Haha I can vouch for your mileage figure especially after mine returned 7.5kpl on the highway. Mine needs some work, getting ignition coils and front suspension work done and I think she should be fine after that. But will get it done after the rains now I think. Till then I have my bus to sail the floods.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 11:48   #60
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 9th July 2010 at 18:01. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smileys per post please. Read our rules
abhijeetveer is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction