Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th November 2009, 01:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Longterm issues with LPG?

I've been in the market for a used hatchback and have been coming across a lot of LPG kitted cars. I don't want anything to do with the LPG kit. I'd like to know if anyone knows the longterm effects of LPG on an engine?

What I mean is, will it be okay to buy a car that has been running on LPG for a few years previously and now run on petrol? Because thats what I intend to do - remove the kit and run the car only in petrol.

Or am I better off looking for a car without the kit which is getting extremely difficult by the way.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 10:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO it should be fine provided the fitment good and approved by the RTO. If LPG run machines are a problem auto companies wouldnt have launched LPG versions of various cars right?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 10:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have used LPG in my cars. But if you are looking to use only in petrol mode, why bother buying a car with LPG ? One reason you could avoid a LPG car is it's mileage. It could have been used a lot.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 19:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

The problem is that all I'm finding are LPG cars. I don't it should be a problem to run the car in petrol only after a few years of running on LPG, but need to make sure. So if someone has had experience with something like this, it would be great.

Drifter
Old 9th November 2009, 19:57   #5
BHPian

Cars that have run on LPG for considerable mileage will have some waxing problem in the carb and some gumming up of the injectors, if fuel injected. But this is more prevalent in carb models than in newer MPFI's. If you're buying a MPFI or equivalent, it's quite enough if you clean the injectors and the fuel system with some good chemical additive like OWS. I can think of no other long term side effects of LPG.
tintin82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 20:00   #6
BHPian

I have some long term experience with the older generation of LPG powered cars (carb ones) - A Padmini S1 and a M800. Both if these were run on petrol for about 20K km and then were fitted with gas kits.

Both the engines lasted about 1.1 L km of city driving before needing overhauls (due to excessive oil combustion) which is at par with what would have been expected from them if run on petrol.

Can't comment on the ECU and injectors part of it though. I've seen several bad LPG installs with the wiring being in tatters and some other LPG installs where the check engine light used to stay on in LPG mode.

A proper LPG install without crimped and cut wires should be the thing to look for to ensure trouble free performance after removing the kit.

Last edited by CrackedHead : 9th November 2009 at 20:18.
CrackedHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 20:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the insight guys. So cars that have been running lets say about 20000kms/2 years should require no more than a proper tuneup, injector cleaning and engine decarb maybe?

Drifter
Old 10th November 2009, 10:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Cars if have lpg kits installed and maintained properly will give you no trouble. i have run mpfi for 50k till now and have not yet needed any cleaning of injectors or throttle body.
In the whole period i have personally only cleaned air filter, replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the intake area upto the butterfly valve few times.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 12:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Cool, so I shouldn't be too worried about buying something running on LPG. Thanks. Will update this thread if and when necessary.

Drifter
Old 10th November 2009, 12:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

My colleague has a used Esteem to which he has fitted a Lovato kit. He has been driving it for quite a few years without any issues, with a usage of around 500 KM per month. But on the other hand, I spoke to a few of cabbies whenever I travelled by call taxis. These were Omnis with factory fitted gas kits. They all opined the engine life goes down by about 30% as compared to cars that run on petrol, due to the higher operating temperature.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 12:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Double post, please remove.

Last edited by Gansan : 10th November 2009 at 12:22.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 03:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the inputs. I'll try and avoid LPG altogether. But if I do come across a good example, I'll try and get a car that hasn't been on LPG for too long.

Drifter