Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th April 2012, 13:39   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Turbo-charger maintenance in diesel cars

I didn't take a picture before giving to FASS. But found one while googling (Hope it is the same one as in the fiesta, it looks similar).
The marked part in the picture is where the leak is,
Attached Images

Optimus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 07:27   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus7 View Post
There is an oil leak in the turbo in my Fiesta TDCi, ....
Then I asked the supervisor what it is, he told it is the turbo and though the oil leak is not big, it will start like this and will get worse. I asked him how will you fix it, he told that they have to remove it and see whether it can be fixed or else it has to be replaced. And the cost would be 15K.

I was like . Should the turbo be changed completely for an oil leak? Can't the part be replaced or something. I googled and found that the turbo used in fiesta is KP35. Anyway I have left my vehicle there and let them do their analysis. Am I being ripped off, or is this the only way to fix it?

Ask them to put the vehicle on a ramp and see for yourself the actual place of leak.

IMO Turbos will not leak at 65K kms. It might be wrong diagnosis and you PLEASE CHECK UNDER THE CAR while CAR is running on a ramp.

It could be the oil sump drain nut!!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 08:27   #78
BHPian

If you just change that rubber pipe, you are good to go! The heat must have caused the rubber to deteriorate.
1self is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 15:13   #79
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Ask them to put the vehicle on a ramp and see for yourself the actual place of leak.

IMO Turbos will not leak at 65K kms. It might be wrong diagnosis and you PLEASE CHECK UNDER THE CAR while CAR is running on a ramp.

It could be the oil sump drain nut!!
The leak if very minute, a couple of drops a day. So I don't know how to check the leak live.
This is how I confirmed the leak, wiped the suspected part with a cloth and left the vehicle for a couple of days in the garage and the next morning touched bottom of the part with my fingers, I had a drop of oil in my finger. And the leak on the floor was directly below this part.

Latest news from FASS, due to heavy load they were not able to test it yesterday, and today they will check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
If you just change that rubber pipe, you are good to go! The heat must have caused the rubber to deteriorate.
I too thought the same thing, since the leak started slowly and has increased after a few weeks. FASS tells if there is a leak in turbo it has to be replaced fully. But they will first check it and then only confirm the issue and fix.

Can that rubber pipe be replaced separately? Also is that rubber pipe a part of the turbo?

Last edited by GTO : 26th April 2012 at 13:27. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 25th April 2012, 15:54   #80
Senior - BHPian

Hey Optimus, the part you have marked in the picture is wastegate actuator hose. Supplies pressurized air from compressor. No oil should go in there. Oil there means turbo seals are gone. Turbo needs rebuild or replacement. Rebuild parts are not expensive.

You can get rebuild kits like this.
http://www.everychina.com/sp-z405e24...FWYJRQodHiWhEQ

Last edited by kutlee : 25th April 2012 at 15:58.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 16:07   #81
BHPian

Actually kutlee it is not an air hose for the waste gate actuator. Those were my initial thoughts too. If you notice, there is a bango coupling at the other end. That is what led me to believe that it is an oil hose.
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 17:55   #82
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Kutlee, I also don't think it is a wastegate actuator hose.
I am really fed up with these FASS guys, its been 2 days, and they still can't tell me what the issue is, let alone fixing it. Everytime I call, they tell me we are looking into it. This is the MPL Ford, Perungudi branch.

First 2 times when I gave it to them, they told its a steering fluid leak and no need to worry, and now I have shown them where the leak actually is, they are still not able to give me a solution, after 2 days. I don't know how they do the servicing, they never allow me to talk to the mechanic who is working on it, nor afterwards. I don't know what has been told to him and what he is doing?

Called FASS again, they told the leak was due to the rubber hose and the turbo itself is working fine. Since they don't have stock of the hose now, it might take a couple of days to deliver my car.
It took them 2 days to find this out? Anyway this is good news for me. Will post once I get the car and test if the issue is fixed.

Last edited by GTO : 26th April 2012 at 13:27. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 26th April 2012, 14:03   #83
Senior - BHPian

I am pretty sure that it's wastegate air hose. Oil to that part of turbo will be a long way away from the shaft that is to be lubricated. There are different types of bleeding air away. Banjo can be one of them. You can see two types of air hoses in Greddy and GT28R.
Attached Thumbnails
Turbo-charger maintenance in diesel cars-gt2871r.jpg  

Attached Images

kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 14:34   #84
BHPian

If truly oil is leaking inside the turbo charger, then there will be black smoke in exhaust . maybe the external line is leaking and by replacing this you will be good to go. not a major problem.
sirius1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 17:00   #85
BHPian

Got news from the FASS, that the stock will arrive only on saturday. And the cost will be Rs.2000/- . Does it really cost that much, I was confused and asked him what hose is that, the supervisor was not sure of the name, but told me that it is the hose which brings oil to the turbo.
Is he referring to the black pipe shown in the picture or is it a different hose altogether?

@sirius: No buddy, no black smoke and the service guys tells me that the turbo is working fine. I asked him, will there be any damage to the turbo due to the oil leak, he replied in the negative.

Last edited by Optimus7 : 26th April 2012 at 17:03.
Old 26th April 2012, 18:34   #86
BHPian

It could be the oil feed or oil return line. Oil hose could be that expensive. Maybe they are changing both the lines?
1self is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 22:22   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
It could be the oil feed or oil return line. Oil hose could be that expensive. Maybe they are changing both the lines?
Thats correct 1self, he mentioned something like return, but not sure of the name, so it must be the oil return line.
Googled about the oil return line, it seems it is the black pipe as mentioned in the picture above, but not too sure. Can anyone please confirm?
Old 28th April 2012, 20:15   #88
BHPian

Finally got my car from FASS. None of the parts displayed in my previous posts have been replaced. The leak was from the hose, which is directly above turbo.
2 hoses have been replaced one is the hose which brings oil to turbo and the small one is the hose at the bottom of the turbo, I will let the pictures explain.
First picture is the worn out old hoses, second picture is the new hose which is replaced (below the hose is the turbo image, posted in my previous picture.)

Also, my car's pick up was not that good earlier, the FASS guy did all they could (incl EGR valve clean up) but the pick up didn't improve much. After fixing this issue, he told that pick up in my car might improve, as a leak here might reduce the pick up. And in the 20Km I have driven so far it has really improved. The acceleration is much smoother and quicker than before. Will wait for 2 more weeks, to confirm the fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Turbo-charger maintenance in diesel cars-image557.jpg  

Turbo-charger maintenance in diesel cars-image554.jpg  

Last edited by Optimus7 : 28th April 2012 at 20:24.
Old 28th April 2012, 21:06   #89
Senior - BHPian

Please merge this thread with the existing thread of Precautions and Maintenance in Diesel Engines With Turbocharger (Precautions / Maintenance for Diesel Engines with Turbo)

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 28th April 2012 at 21:08.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 19:30   #90
BHPian

Alas, it's back. Yes today, just 24 hours after I parked my car in the garage, there was a leak (1 drop) directly below the part as seen in the picture. The part which is marked in blue is where the leak is. Can anyone please tell me what part is that, and can the black pipe be replaced separately?

FASS, guys had my car for 5 days, and yet they could not locate the leak, which I can do in 24 hours. I specifically pointed the part where the leak is prior to giving the car for service. Yet after 6 days and 4K Rs., I am stuck with the same problem. I don't have faith in FASS anymore. I will take the car to some local mechanic and see what can be done.

Chennai Ford guys, if you are going to MPL Ford perungudi branch, please don't. The mechanics over there are aloof, won't spend a minute to listen to customers nor talk about the issue/fix. What about the new branch in pallikaranai, is it any good?

On googling further, I think its the waste gate actuator. Please refer this link
What is waste gate actuator? Is a leak from this part a major issue for turbo? Can this be replaced separately? Please bear with me for too many questions in one post.
Attached Thumbnails
Turbo-charger maintenance in diesel cars-leak.jpg  

Last edited by Optimus7 : 30th April 2012 at 19:46. Reason: Added waste gate actuator