Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th April 2014, 21:19   #106
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Turbo-charger maintenance in diesel cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Which part of your turbo do you plan to get cleaned? Turbochargers don't need to be serviced periodically (AFAIK) - apart from routine oil and filter changes. Are you getting any symptoms of turbo failure?
I have no idea. Actually since the vehicle is 1 lakh+ done, I started searching for symptoms of turbo failure. Then I came across some threads on diesel forums where they show VGT opening and cleaning. The turbos in the pics were very dirty inside and eating oil.
Only symptom I have is that when its very very cold (sub zero) there is blue smoke on idle. In normal operation there is no smoke at all.

On some diesel forums, the problem was oil seal of turbo which in cold weather was letting some oil into the intake. That is why I thought about turbo servicing.

Have no idea about what to do, hence asking.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 21:30   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have no idea.
...letting some oil into the intake.
Simple procedure - check if the intercooler inlet hose has a lot of oil coating its insides (a trace of oil is not worrisome). If yes, you have a blown TC oil seal and you need to have the oil seal repaired.

If you get the usual sound and seat-of-the-pants feel of the turbo working as the RPM rises (>1800-2000 RPM on the Safari), everything is fine. In which case, leave the turbo well alone.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 14:25   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus7 View Post

After 2 weeks of testing, I found a drop of oil was leaking every time I take the car out. But no leak when it stays idle.

Took it again to FASS, the service guy was perplexed at this and strongly objected to my complaint that there was still a leak. Then a mechanic came and checked and found that there was a fault in a bolt/couple near the oil circulating area (just above the turbo/below the oil filling area). He replaced it (cost was 250 Rs) for free. Took the car home, its been 2 weeks since then, and no leak whatsoever.

I really hope that this has been fixed once and for all. And I am very glad that now I can keep up with the petrol guys
hi,

can you pin point where the bolt/couple located, which was replaced by FASS. I also have the same problem of oil leaking below the actuator after a drive.

thanks.
dvinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 16:47   #109
BHPian

My Diesel i20 has done 74+ K on the odo, and I had taken her to servicing which also included a clutch overhaul which was hastened by the issues with master and slave cylinder ( decided to go the whole hog in any case ).

Upon doing the general checks during the handover to the service center, the SA revved up the engine and said "turbo seeti maar raha hai.. halka sa." On further enquiring , he said that these are some early signs, and indicated that the turbo will cost around 68K. Of course he will inspect the turbo and all.

Anyway nothing was done on the turbo as he said it will run ok and we can take a call if it gets worse.

I didnt argue with him or get into a deeper discussion ( was intending to do that only if he suggested something drastic ), but I always thought that the turbo whistle was something that was supposed to be there in any case. Now is this hissing something different? I wasnt very sure.

However, Once I got the car back, I revved up the car slightly in my parking slot at home with the windows down, and I could hear a hissing sound, not too obvious though. Am a bit confused now. Is this the turbo whistle or is this something else? Or is it some minor leak from the pipes associated with the turbo? if it was the case did the SA not check that?

The SA had gone on leave on a personal emergency and I actually took the vehicle from another guy - so I didnt really pick up the conversation with him at all on this..

Any views on this folks?

Are turbos expected to hiss? I havent really noticed much of turbo whistling in my car anyways.

Once again - its not very intrusive, but yes one can hear it with the wiindows down, past around 1500 rpm.

Last edited by Bigzero : 28th April 2016 at 16:49.
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 17:34   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Once again - its not very intrusive, but yes one can hear it with the wiindows down, past around 1500 rpm.
A hissing sound is not a sign of a turbo failure but a whining sound is a sure sign of turbo bearing failure. By hissing, it could also mean that the turbo plumbing(hoses et all) is having a leak. Also some amount of hissing/whistling is normal working sound of a turbo. Did you notice any deterioration in performance or any black smoke issue? If no, then relax. Just by hearing it(unless it is a loud whining), one can't say clearly that it's a turbo on its last leg or not.

Last edited by EFF-EIGHT-BEE : 28th April 2016 at 17:35.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 15:53   #111
BHPian

Hi,

The turbo in my Manza is kicking at 2500 rpm. What might be the reason?

I have replaced the EGR valve with a clean one, what else should I get checked?

Thanks

Nitin
ntomer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 16:06   #112
BHPian

Now that turbo petrols are becoming comment, can the experts comment about:

1) Do you have to idle the petrol engine after starting or is it required only before shutdown?

2) Does the turbo in petrol kick-in at lower RPM compared to diesels at 1750 RPM (1.3 MJD)? Honda petrols mostly lack low-end torque. If it is, say, a turbo-petrol, would that make it easier to drive at lower speeds without constant gear changes?

3) I read somewhere in this forum that one has to shell out at least 40k for replacing the turbo charger in a diesel in case of failure. How much would a petrol turbo charger approximately cost? I read in a newspaper that a petrol turbo charger costs approx. 10k, but I don't know whether it is a figment of imagination on part of the journalist.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Last edited by pradkumar : 8th June 2016 at 16:08.
pradkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 16:23   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
A hissing sound is not a sign of a turbo failure but a whining sound is a sure sign of turbo bearing failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
My Diesel i20 has done 74+ K on the odo, and I had taken her to servicing which also included a clutch overhaul which was hastened by the issues with master and slave cylinder ( decided to go the whole hog in any case ).

Upon doing the general checks during the handover to the service center, the SA revved up the engine and said "turbo seeti maar raha hai.. halka sa."
I am also encountering the same problem in my Sx4 (D), not regularly but I hear Turbo whining sound from 2,000 to 3,000 rpm. On couple of occasions I have restarted the car and the whine has vanished. I went to M.A.S.S as well, where the turbo boot was in range and No Play was diagnosed in Turbine. No plumbing issues as well. There is no drop Pick up, but yes black smoke is there ONLY in HARD Acceleration.

My real concern is, my extended warranty is about to expire in 1 month. Is this something to worry about?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th July 2016 at 09:19. Reason: Reducing quoted content = inconveniences our small screen users.
amitpunjani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 16:38   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Now that turbo petrols are becoming comment, can the experts comment about:

1) Do you have to idle the petrol engine after starting or is it required only before shutdown?
Thank you,

Pradeep
Hello Pradeep,
While I'm no expert in this topic, here are 2 my cents for what its worth.
I own Tata Zest Revotron which has a turbo-charged petrol engine.
This is what I found in Zest user's manual (Link to my earlier post in another forum)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3965522 (Why you must practice the "Idling Rule" with Turbo-Charged Cars)
Hope that answers your first query.

Regarding 2nd query - The turbo in 1.2L Revotron kicks in at around 1500 rpm. I find that low speed driving inside the city is much easier with the higher torque available. I have never had to downshift from 2nd to 1st gear while going past huge speed breakers in Bengaluru.

I have no idea about the cost of petrol turbo charger. Sorry.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 11:40   #115
BHPian

Just a quick update - I have done around 4000 kms after my earlier post on turbo hiss . The hiss is still there, but I dont see any sort of drop in performance. So its not bothering me that much.

My suspicion is that it could be some sort of leak from the hose/pipe attache to the turbo... I dont trust my SA or Hyundai Service center well enough for them to give a resolution that doesnt involve massive expenses. Wondering if there are turbo experts in Pune-Mumbai who can look it up and give a proper diagnosis.
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 12:06   #116
Senior - BHPian

As the owner of an EcoSport with a turbocharged EcoBoost engine:

Quote:
Varying schools of thought on this one. My take:
  • I don't idle after starting, although I might take half a minute to just buckle up, fidget around, etc. I also don't drive the engine hard for the first 15-20 minutes or so - I drive smoothly, and upshift as quickly as the torque allows it.
  • Before reaching a known stopping point, for the last 10 minutes or so I again stop driving the engine hard, but drive smoothly, and allow the engine to generally cool down as much as possible on the go.
  • If I have to stop for a long time without the 10 minutes of slow driving, I would idle for about 30 seconds - basically until the cooling fan switches off.

Quote:
2) Does the turbo in petrol kick-in at lower RPM compared to diesels at 1750 RPM (1.3 MJD)? Honda petrols mostly lack low-end torque. If it is, say, a turbo-petrol, would that make it easier to drive at lower speeds without constant gear changes?
It depends on the engine design, turbo size, etc. In the EcoBoost engine, there is turbo lag until ~1800 rpm. Don't go by what papers say, test drive the car and trust your bum - the EcoBoost specs say peak torque comes in around 1400/1500 rpm (IIRC) but in reality its not there.

Quote:
3) I read somewhere in this forum that one has to shell out at least 40k for replacing the turbo charger in a diesel in case of failure. How much would a petrol turbo charger approximately cost? I read in a newspaper that a petrol turbo charger costs approx. 10k, but I don't know whether it is a figment of imagination on part of the journalist.
I expect a petrol turbocharger to cost more. In a petrol engine, the exhaust temperatures are higher than an equivalent diesel engine. So a petrol turbocharger must be designed and built using materials that can handle the higher temperature (particularly the turbine that faces the exhaust gases, as well as the bearings, seals, etc.).
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 16:01   #117
BHPian

How much would turbo replacement in 2.2 ltr scorpio / safari engines cost?
nvldvr is online now   Reply With Quote