Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th November 2009, 01:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

I don't think its a good idea to operate the engine without the filter. Even if the air is relatively dust free, the filter housing often houses significant amount of dust on the intake side of the filter... all this may get sucked in, depending on the design of the housing. And he even revved the engine... which woudl have developed sufficient suction to suck some dust from the filter housing.

Sounds to me like a pretty bad way to test things.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 05:32   #17
BHPian

Its not a good idea to run the engine without an air filter but to check certain issues / problems you really don't have a choice.
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 18:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I don't think its a good idea to operate the engine without the filter. Even if the air is relatively dust free, the filter housing often houses significant amount of dust on the intake side of the filter... all this may get sucked in, depending on the design of the housing. And he even revved the engine... which woudl have developed sufficient suction to suck some dust from the filter housing.

Sounds to me like a pretty bad way to test things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Its not a good idea to run the engine without an air filter but to check certain issues / problems you really don't have a choice.
It came to light only because I was present there. If I was sitting in their A/C lounge watching flat screen TV or browsing free internet, I would have been blissfully ignorant of this test. If this "test" is standard for certain issues, what choice do we have?

This got me wondering about the efficiency of all available filters in the first place, and I did a bit of Googling. Not sure if this was already posted or not, but this was what I found:
http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&sou...J7_U4V37VLLBLg
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 19:08   #19
BHPian

I have seen aerosol cans that advise you to spary direct into throttle body ( so, without air filter ) to clean the TB and also the engine chambers etc

I have come across, one particular spray tin, that asks you to spray direct for about 5 mins to de-carbonise the engin, revving it occassionaly !

ECOTEK POWER BOOST ENGINE ENERGIZER CLEAN YOUR ENGINE on eBay (end time 08-Dec-09 18:32:13 GMT)

I have used this on my vectra I used to own about 7 years back...it did some magic, I must say !

Last edited by vdiatech : 15th November 2009 at 19:13.
vdiatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 19:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
For a brief period its ok.

During regular service, they clean the throttle body without the filter on. All cars go through this.

Shan2nu
+1 to this, today I was at hyundai service center whole day and the guys tested my car like this.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 20:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

momentary removal of air filter while engine is running is not a cause for concern at all. Nothing is going to happen to your engine.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote