Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 6th August 2005, 15:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

The sound that you hear is your car crying... don't do this to me, please.

The ring lock is something that is found predominantly on European cars, like the Palio and the Astra/Corsa. The Cielo is an old Opel Kadet, so that covers it too.
Old 7th August 2005, 17:52   #17
BHPian

so simply...what everyones advice to u is just dont eben try to try it...cause its not good ..neither for your engine nor for you....enjoy driving clean and if u want to enjoy urself use your handbreak and pull some 180's thats way soooo much of fun........not as dangerous as damaging your entire garbox and pushing ur car all the way home.....
Old 8th August 2005, 17:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Note: Dont start Fiat vs. Rest stuff here. I just narrated personal experiences.
LOL

It is there on the Tatamobile too. Not a ring, but you do have to lift the gear knob though.
Old 8th August 2005, 19:24   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
While going at a speed of 60 KMPH in top gear, press you clutch to switch the gear to neutral. Is it possible to engage the gear to reverse while moving forward at 60 KMPH. If that's possible what will happen?
I use a different technique to avoid accidental reversing.

1) If am moving from 1st to 2nd, I use the reverse hold to pull it back from 1st, with thumb and index finger of my left hand face downwards and pushing away from my body.

2) If I am disengaging from 3rd or 5th, I just use my middle finger to pull it back to avoid applying any lateral force. If moving to 4th, I'll continue using just a finger and it will automatically shifts to 4th. If moving to 2nd, I use the reverse hold and push it away from body.

I never really hold the gear stick firmly unless I am shifting to 5th or reverse.
Old 11th August 2005, 23:42   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I tried something like this ...but not anywhr close to it ... I was doin 210 in my automatic accord on the expressway which is the top speed of the car in D4 with the tacho firmlying sitting on 5000rpm.... i shifted to D3 just to see if the car actually shifts to 3rd and it did not ... so moving into reverse would be out of the question...the lever moved to D3 but the engine was still in 4th gear ...i guess they are all programed according to the RPM so that you dont come up with a blown engine.
Old 10th January 2006, 12:16   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai

1) If am moving from 1st to 2nd, I use the reverse hold to pull it back from 1st, with thumb and index finger of my left hand face downwards and pushing away from my body.

2) If I am disengaging from 3rd or 5th, I just use my middle finger to pull it back to avoid applying any lateral force. If moving to 4th, I'll continue using just a finger and it will automatically shifts to 4th. If moving to 2nd, I use the reverse hold and push it away from body.

I never really hold the gear stick firmly unless I am shifting to 5th or reverse.
Ummm... is that some technique?!! I mean I always thought that is the most natural way to shift gears! At least to me it looks the most effective method that also is the easiest on your wrists. Yes come to think of it one will not get into a false reverse this way though.
Old 10th January 2006, 12:26   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Ummm... is that some technique?!! I mean I always thought that is the most natural way to shift gears! At least to me it looks the most effective method that also is the easiest on your wrists. Yes come to think of it one will not get into a false reverse this way though.
Exactly, it is very natural, and that's how I got it. However, I have seen many who hold their gear shift knob tightly, therefore I felt mine is a different technique.
Old 10th January 2006, 12:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

i slide into gear with a mild push (without really holding it)too except in the alto..but if you want to shift quick one must slot it in firmly..
Old 12th January 2006, 15:04   #24
BHPian

So in the film 2fast 2furious...is the EVO modified?Will it have a modified gearbox or anything??'cause they show the car taking a suden handbrake turn and then running in reverse gear.
Old 12th January 2006, 15:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight
So in the film 2fast 2furious...is the EVO modified?Will it have a modified gearbox or anything??'cause they show the car taking a suden handbrake turn and then running in reverse gear.
NEVER TRY THIS AT HOME !! havent you heard of that saying. what every you see in movies dont try it.youll just end up damadging your car.

Rev
Old 12th January 2006, 21:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That car decelerates almost to 2-3 mph while doing that handbrake turn and then slots into reverse.
Old 13th January 2006, 03:57   #27
BHPian

nope.... thats not possible... I've tried that at lower speeds, there is a big grounding noise...... I didn't try it after that due to fear of breaking my gear box..... don't recommend u try it either
Old 13th January 2006, 15:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
NEVER TRY THIS AT HOME !! havent you heard of that saying. what every you see in movies dont try it.youll just end up damadging your car.

Rev
I will never try this at home...but I just wanted to know..
Old 18th January 2006, 13:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai

I think there are only two instances when one may accidently put the lever into reverse gear(in order of their probability of happening)- 1. coming out of 5th and 2. engaging 4th (for a 5 speed transmission, of course!). Apart from that it is highly un-likely that the lever slots into R position, unless it is intentional. Baleno has a locking mechanism to avoid moving straight from 5th to reverse. You have to bring the lever to the center of neutral line before you can put it into reverse. But you can directly move from any other gear to reverse though, and you need to be careful about that. Is this mechanism standard on all 5-speed cars?

I had come across people complaining about a "minor" problem with baleno gear-box, having trouble sometimes to put it in reverse... by any chance, is this lock the real reason?
Old 22nd May 2008, 14:18   #30
BHPian

Default [How stuff works] What if I threw my car into reverse while I was driving?

If you're driving down the highway and you knock your gearshift into reverse, don't panic. Your car won't blow up, and you won't go barrelling backwards into the
car behind you

This is one of those funny questions that pops up in lots of people's minds. As you're driving your car, you can imagine that it would be very easy to move the shifter into the "R" position at any time. You probably would never even consider giving in to your curiosity, though. Because you know that if you DID try it, it would cause the transmission to explode, or something like that. So, instead, you end up constantly wondering…
The reverse gear on any car with a manual transmission is an incredibly simple piece of machinery. There is a shaft that gets its power from the engine, and it has teeth on it that are used for reverse. There's another shaft that will drive the wheels, and it, too, has teeth on it that are used for reverse. To engage reverse, a gear literally gets pushed in between the two shafts to engage the two sets of teeth. It simply slides its teeth into the teeth on the two shafts and engages them.
So it turns out that the answer to this question is pretty anticlimatic. If you were to actually try engaging reverse while rolling down the road, the gear that has to slide into place is going to be trying to engage two spinning gears, and one of those gears is rotating rapidly in the wrong direction. What you will hear (and feel in the shift) is a very obnoxious buzzing sound as the teeth gnash against one another. However, there's no way to get the gear into place while in motion like this, so nothing will happen. The transmission won't explode. Nor will the car stop on a dime and reverse into oncoming traffic, even though that's what happens in cartoons.
About the only time you can actually get a car into reverse is when it's at a dead stop.

Source

Last edited by sabret00the : 22nd May 2008 at 14:21.
Closed Thread