Team-BHP - Is it possible to shift into reverse at a high speed?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Is it possible to shift into reverse at a high speed? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/6938-possible-shift-into-reverse-high-speed.html)

A wild imagination.........

While going at a speed of 60 KMPH in top gear, press you clutch to switch the gear to neutral. Is it possible to engage the gear to reverse while moving forward at 60 KMPH. If that's possible what will happen? :D

you cant slot it..you will hear a grinding noise if slotted harder you will break your gearbox buddy...

very franky......not 2 sure whether thats possible...cause whenever..i confuse my city with the cars i drive in dubai ..and i think im shifting into sixth but actually i shift into reverse i get this bad cracking sound...whick wakes me up bigtime.....the gears box is designed in such a way that u cant switch into reverse if ur wheels r moving too fast in the forward direction atleast u cant switch into reverse smoothly..there will be alot of wear and tear of ur gear teeth because of rubbing as well as heat generation.......
but on the other side u can switch into first from reverse comfortably without any trouuble..cause of the syncromesh gear box arrangment....

in the gear box here is a gear know as the md gear that comes from the engine and it is always rotating in one direction only.......there is another shaft in the gear box known as the counter shaft on which the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gears are located....the md gear meshes with these 4 gears with the help of dog teeth depending upon the gear that we have chosen..the fifth gear is basically direct transmisiion..it has more than 1:1 gear ration...hence its called overdrive...now the interesting part for engaging into reverse gear the md shaft rotates in the same direction but there is something known as an idle gear which helps in reversing the direction of motion...so when u shift into reverse the idle gear is pushed into action..for this the car has to be best at standstill for smooth shifting or ull get the cacking sound ........thats all
drive safe and shift smooth....
allan

The following Link will help you
Click Me

adya thats exaxtly what i said but with he help of a picture...that was damn nice

rl: first the gearbox'll go GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR then if u still force it somehow to reverse....CRASH CLINCLE CLANK.....silence. rl:

friend did it once on his santro...from 60 to reverse
gotsome breaking sound...the car shut the very moment...was not starting only...he left it for 15-20 minutes...tried to start..it worked...but really screws the gearbox

a) If you have Palio/Petra, you can not do that accidently, while downshifting from 5th to 4th (it has a ring type mechanism, which needs to be lifted to shift into reverse). Yes, if you hell bent on doing crashing your gear box, or blowing up engine, you can do that intentionally.
b) If you are driving a Santro, you can accidently slot into reverse instead of 4th. My friend learnt it the hard way, when he did at 120kmph on highway. The gear chattering noise was so loud, he pulled car to a side for moment and then resumed.
c) No idea about other cars.

Note: Dont start Fiat vs. Rest stuff here. I just narrated personal experiences.

Even the Opel Corsa/Sail have the knob that needs to be lifted to slot the car in reverse...!

Quote:

Originally Posted by adya33
The following Link will help you
Click Me

don't you just love this website - howstuffworks.com!

i haven't tried shifting a manual-transmission car into reverse while driving forward, as i'm scared of ending up with the gear-lever in my hand and the engine flying out of the engine-bay.
an automatic-transmission car, however, will not go into reverse while moving forward above a certain speed (>5mph). there is some sort of inter-lock installed to prevent people from doing the un-thinkable. i've tried it on a variety of automatic cars and its the same in each.

ad

Quote:

Originally Posted by moralfibre
Even the Opel Corsa/Sail have the knob that needs to be lifted to slot the car in reverse...!

the cielo was the first one to have the reverse gear lock...

while on this topic, my query is whether it is possible to shift to neutral from any gear without pressing the clutch. And is it advisable to do so.

vivek,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivekag
while on this topic, my query is whether it is possible to shift to neutral from any gear without pressing the clutch. And is it advisable to do so.

vivek

Well it is possible to do but its not advisible to do so, this will also affect the gear box in the long term.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivekag

vivek,

Hey Vivekag,

Its definitely possible to shift to N without using the clutch when the car is in motion.

It can be pretty hard to do (and not particularly great for your `box), or very easy to do (and not so bad for your `box), depending on how u do it.

One way to do it is to just use force to slam the gearshift to N..... not the best way.

The bearable way to do it (even though it still remains a pointless thing to do), is like so -

By using the accelerator.
What you have to do, is get the car to a point where there is neither acceleration nor engine braking happening. For that very slim window, the gearbox has virtually no load on it, and its effortless to push the lever into N. (Just like when the car is parked and you shift the lever without the clutch.)

It might be difficult to get to precisely this point, especially in lower gears, so you can trypushing gently yet firmly on the lever and then begin to lift of the throttle. At some point in your deceleration the lever should slot into N.

cya
R

yeap ... easier to do it in higher gears..can or should be done when there is zero throttle applied .. a light tap is usually enough to slot it in Neutral.