Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th August 2005, 13:24   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Originally Posted by GTO
Cant we open them by simply using the door knob on the inside? This automatically unlocks the mechanism.

Butttttttttttttttttt I met CLS55 and he was telling me of a way to open the sunroof in such situations (with a tool included in the manual).

Unfortunatly the door knob is also electronically controlled, remember when u open any door in the car all of them unlock. The lock level on the top of the door(near the window) goes completly inside if u have noticed so its impossible to reach into that to pull it back out.

I dont know about the sunroof technic but i dont think most people would be able to reach for a tool and open the roof in such a panic situation its quite useless imo. Besides only the new mercs come with fitted with sunroofs and i am sure 99% of the customers are not aware of this sunroof tool.

These are small things which a company like MB has neglected, which is astonishing because germans give alot of attention to detailing.They have put sophistication before safety in this feature which is a big safety hazard.
My adivce to all the merc owners here is to unlock your doors the minute you see yourself passing through a water logged area, also do NOT go over 10km/hr as the doors automatically lock once you reach that speed.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 14:42   #17
Team-BHP Support

If what you say is true, it is a serious (and dangerous) design oversight by Mercedes Benz

GTO is offline   Reply With Quote