Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd October 2013, 00:05   #31
BHPian

Default Re: No more punctures for the rest of your tyre's life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
I filled this in one of my car tyres to check the product and depending on how good it was I would fill it in the other 3 tyres. What I noticed maybe after a year or 2 is that the rim got got rusted and the solution had dried up.
Can you please share more details of the purchase. I mean the rate, qty, source, brand etc in Hyderabad. I've heard of such product when I was in B'lore during the 90's but haven't used them until now. It can be really a boon for those undertaking long trips & feel relieved at least on this front.

I wanted to share a experience of a sudden puncture while commuting from B'lore to Hyderabad 20kms from Kurnool, I was driving alone while maintaining speed of only 90-100km/hr.This happened as I overtook a truck on the empty highway in the afternoon, the truck driver immediately applied brakes & honked while I managed to get the Safari safely to the left & stopped

The vehicle was new, so neither the stepney nor the rear wheel was ever removed before, the bolts were fastened in the factory so it was not coming out at all, finally after trying repeatedly in vain, decided to drive ahead very slowly, in about 2kms breathed a sign of relief after I saw a puncture shop near a petrol pump.

This shop guy had to literally stand on the spanner to get the nut unfastened while I was getting worried about the bolt threading getting worn out in the whole process

I decided against driving at high speeds to make up for the lost time, as stepney could'nt be repaired in the puncture shop( they didn't have tubeless tyre repair kit).

I remembered seeing a big MRF tyre shop at Kurnool on my onward journey to B'lore, so made up my mind to first get the stepney repaired, get the tyre rotation done & nitrogen levels checked of all wheels before proceeding further to Hyderabad. It was really my first such experience of getting stranded in a very hot afternoon on a highway alone!!

After this ordeal, getting a reliable & permanent solution for punctures will definitely be a priority
Redeemer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 00:12   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post
This shop guy had to literally stand on the spanner to get the nut unfastened while I was getting worried about the bolt threading getting worn out in the whole process
Very similar experience I had in city limits. Was with a lady friend and Lancer's rear tyre got punctured. Tried my level best but the nut got stuck and wouldn't come off. Had to leave the friend with the car and go to a nearby petrol bunk ( luckily one was closeby only) and the expert there swore that he hasn't applied so much force ever to open a nut and I could see the amount of effort he had to put. Altogether a good 2 hours wasted.
Thats why something like this can be blissful!
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:33   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Thats why something like this can be blissful!
You bet a foolproof solution can be really blissful. I just can't imagine getting stuck in a similar manner on an isolated highway with family!! In case one has to remove the tyre all the occupants have to get off the vehicle in order to jack up. The scenario can really turn out to be a big pain as you can't think of driving a loaded vehicle slowly to reach for help

My friends were saying I was lucky it was'nt the front right wheel or else it would've been really difficult to maneuver
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to one of the dealers of the Slime product here in Delhi. Contact number is 9212224416.
Salient points :
1) This cannot be used on a tubeless tyre which has seen a few punctures in its life. You can use it on an old tyre so long as it has had no punctures before. Recommended to use only on new tyres.

2) Cost wise it is about Rs 4000/- for treating a set of 4 tyres - for an Innova

3) It is TPMS safe

4) They offer a guarantee of 2 years or 40000 kms whichever is earlier.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 22nd October 2013 at 10:25. Reason: added information
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 23:35   #35
BHPian

There are lot of posts in this forum on different varieties of sealants available in the market. Couple of issues experienced by members after usage are the following :-
  • Wheel wobbling at high speeds i.e above 100-120kmph
  • Product not attaining the min desired life time i.e. 2 years/40000 kms.
  • Sealant getting dried up too soon with causes unknown.
  • Choice of brand to choose from ( as their are many) but limited update available on all the brands to pick the right make.
  • Wheel balancing issues post sealant application.
  • Precaution to be taken to ensure sealent doesn't flow out while topping up air/ nitrogen.
  • Rim getting rusted (no clear confirmation, as contrary views seen)
  • Tyre side walls are not protected.
  • Choice of the various specs of sealant available & lack of clarity on which product is suitable for specific Tyre types for better performance.

It is also noted that all products have their own pro's & cons, usage decision is therefore to be taken keeping them in mind. I've couple of more questions on this subject
  • Does the sealant become less effective in due course if they come in regular contact with water?
  • Do we've a product especially suitable for Indian conditions (w.r.t roads, temp etc)
  • Any reputed supplier in Hyderabad (Tried & Tested only )
Old 26th October 2013, 00:13   #36
BHPian

I think it is better to leave the tyres alone than mess with them and cause some unforeseen issue with balancing, alignment or vehicle stability.

Everytime you go out on that lone drive through wilderness where serial killers roam, just check your air pressure every 200-300 kms or so. This way if you notice a huge drop in air pressure in one of the wheels, compared to the others, you know you have a puncture. Fix it at the bunk and move on.

If you are going to be doing the treacherous route every single day, then you probably have a lot more to worry about than a punctured tyre.

I think these are great for bicycles though.
ak916 is offline   Reply With Quote