Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th September 2010, 20:00   #136
BHPian

Guys,

My 2nd hand swift zxi - 2006 model was recently serviced at Fast Cars opp IIM - Bangalore.

I have run a total of 40,000 KMs. The guy there says that I need to change my clutch soon as there is some issue with it. He is not able to explain what the issue is and I dont seem to find any problems either, except for the fact that after the service, the gear shift has become a little rigid. Gear oil change was done. Stock filter replaced ! Complete brake overhauls etc.

Any advice anyone on the clutch issue and the rigidity in the shifting of gears?

Cheers.
Xryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 23:40   #137
Senior - BHPian

how is the acceleration? apart from rough gear change.

Can you touch near 3 figure speed easily ?
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 13:53   #138
BHPian

@SirAlec : Normally shift into 4th on touching 70 and in 4th I barely touch 100.
Xryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 17:15   #139

My Skoda Octavia Diesel has done 140,000 and I have been told by Giriraj Motors, in Gurgaon that I need a clutch replacement with flywheel which will cost 40,000/- and a suspension overhaul which will cost another 30,000/-.
What should I do and is there anyplace where i can get dependable service for this? The car is 4 yrs old.
metanoia75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 00:32   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
@SirAlec : Normally shift into 4th on touching 70 and in 4th I barely touch 100.
40k is early for a clutch replacement. But you never know. It depends upon driving style too.

Just to be sure, do the handbrake test for clutch. Search it on forum, it has been posted many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metanoia75 View Post
My Skoda Octavia Diesel has done 140,000 and I have been told by Giriraj Motors, in Gurgaon that I need a clutch replacement with flywheel which will cost 40,000/- and a suspension overhaul which will cost another 30,000/-.
What should I do and is there anyplace where i can get dependable service for this? The car is 4 yrs old.
Skoda parts are known to be expensive. But since you live in biggest Juggad city in Planet, search around Kashemere gate area.

As for suspension, is the ride bumpy even when trailing through small bumps. Do you hear sounds while jumping speed breakers.?
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 15:03   #141
Senior - BHPian

I have a query.
Bought a used fiesta petrol which had done 46 k.no problems whatsoever.
Now,day befor i was stuck in 4 hour jam on the GGN expressway,with almost 25 km of riding in 1st-2nd gear(80-20 ratio approx).it was hell on toast!
next day, when i was driving back, i noticed while shifting into 2nd gear, the clutch pedal lost about half its travel, and the car wouldnt stop moving even with the pedal pressed!
in fact, when i braked,the cara stalled.
switched off, restarted, it shifted ok for about 5 minutes, then again the same thing.
got home somehow,it was impossible to shift when the car was stationary!
left it for the night, checked again in the morning,put it in reverse, and almost ran over the gurads foot,cos it wouldnt stop.
now what could this be?
google mata suggests clutch-drag, and may be solvable by bleeding(?) as there may be air in the plumbing, or checking the master and slave cylinders(which semm to a cheaper option than ford's quote of 11k for a clutch overhaul)
any pointers, anybody?

By the by, the cars parked.did not drive it as i didnt want to mess up anything else.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 16:03   #142
Team-BHP Support

This is a useful thread. Don't know what it is about MASS that they urge you to change the clutch everytime you go for a service. My Swift has a slightly hard clutch and the service guy's advice (at 42K km) was "Clutch change kijiye sir". I refused and it has got a bit softer now. Or maybe I'm just used to it!

Thanks GTO and others, for saving me some bucks. Now I can get those alloys!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 17:54   #143
BHPian

GTO et al,
I drive a Fusion and it has clocked 38K. Everything is great except the clutch. It is very hard and is a pain in BLR traffic.
BTW, I bought it when it had run 31K. Clutch has been the same since then.

Any advice? I've not spoken to the Service folks yet. Overhaul, I know, would make a big hole in my small pocket!

Enabled ECS for thanks payment

-Jay
throttleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 20:44   #144
BHPian

I got my Alto serviced at 16,000 kms today.

I had a 2 complaints which I wanted them to investigate.
1. The car would jerk when I put the car into first gear and take my foot off the clutch. THis jerk would happen when going to 2nd and to 3rd gear
2. This would happen only after I start the car after a long time, say first time in the day or when leaving office in the evenings
3. The other complaint was that I could feel every tiny pothole on the road while driving. This made driving a really unpleasant task for me.

I also got the same thing from the service 'advisor'..."Your clutch plate needs to be changed". In fact, he was telling me that the pads that press the clutch plate have worn out. I did not understand much of this but told him I do not need any changes.

He did something to the suspensions and also relaced the rubber bush on the engine (these were his words). Now when I drive the car, it has a much smoother ride. He also worked on the steering because I had complained of squeaking when I turned the steering wheel.

I would like to know if clutch change is indeed required or is it just a scam. If there were indeed a problem on that front, how long should I check before going in for a change?
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 17:03   #145
BHPian

Default Re: SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"

Swift 35000km run, Maruti dealer asked to get the clutch replaced.

My dad used to blame me and my mom that we keep our foot on the clutch while driving (We don't do that!).

Now I know whats really happening
vivek_vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 21:20   #146
BHPian

We have a Xylo E8 ABS which has covered 1,07,000+kms.

The Clutch Pedal has approx. half way free play and after that it gets engaged.

I dont face any pick up or top speed issues.

Only the Gear Shift is a little bit hard (the Synchro rings might not be working as they should be. I can feel the Gear Teeth not engaging smoothly).

How to identify whether the problem is with Synchro Rings or Clutch Plate?

I have two more questions in case of Xylo (Hydraulic Clutch) and Indigo LS and Indigo Dicor (Dry Clutch)--
1) How much time is required to replace the Synchro Rings?
2) Does it require to open the Gear Box in case of Dry and Hydraulic Clutch, respectively?

Forgot to add the following--
What would be the cost incurred while replacing Synchro Rings (Cost of Synchro Rings and Labour)?

Last edited by bblost : 1st September 2011 at 23:28. Reason: back to back. Please use edit when available. Thanks.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 00:32   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
My 2nd hand swift zxi - 2006 model was recently serviced at Fast Cars opp IIM - Bangalore.I have run a total of 40,000 KMs. The guy there says that I need to change my clutch soon as there is some issue with it. .
Are you feeling clutch slippage while accelerating suddenly. Can be confirmed easily through the Tachometer. ie., with your attempt to accelerate quickly, only the engine speed will increase ie, transmission to wheels is affected if clutch is slipping.
Is your clutch shuddering? This can also be the symptom of clutch defect.

If both are not noticed drive and drive, your clutch would give you many more smiling miles.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 17:42   #148
BANNED

Have fallen for it. And well quite knowingly. Somehow didn't trust my inner voice and relied upon the insistent Advisor. Didn't seek second opinion and wasn't aware of TBHP. In the hindsight all that I vowed to do is not to visit Fair Deal Service Station in Sahibabad any more and be cautious at the other Service Station.
anandjha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 22:16   #149
Senior - BHPian

Today had a situation where i had to reverse my i20 diesel out of a pretty steep road.It stalled twice.So the third time i revved the slipped the clutch and came out of the slope. Immediately the whole cabin was filled with burning smell.I parked the car and side and went to attend some errands.Came back after 15 minutes,the smell was still there in the cabin, and drove back normally. Does it mean my clutch is shot?
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 23:03   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Does it mean my clutch is shot?
Some wear would have happened to the clutch disc, perhaps that would have normally worn off in say 15K kms. As nothing abnormal is noticed don't worry and drive on.

Last edited by rajeev k : 10th October 2011 at 23:04.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote