Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th March 2012, 11:46   #151
Senior - BHPian

Guys need your insight. I own a fiat linea have given it for 45k service to vst motors. The SA has advised clutch overhaul for the start up sound.
My car had a 'grrr' sound coming from the start up motor each time I start my car. Unfortunately I couldn't replicate it there.. Without even starting the car SA said cluch is hard and it's is the clutch release bearing that is causing the sound. He wants me to pay 8k for it. I read in team bhp that it is a scam. Guys tell me what to do

I thought it must be something with start up motor the flywheel and bendix. The clutch never slips. Slotting is good. Tell me what to do guys

Last edited by geeash : 20th March 2012 at 11:48.
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 21:17   #152
BHPian

Default Re: SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Guys need your insight. I own a fiat linea have given it for 45k service to vst motors. The SA has advised clutch overhaul for the start up sound.
My car had a 'grrr' sound coming from the start up motor each time I start my car. Unfortunately I couldn't replicate it there.. Without even starting the car SA said cluch is hard and it's is the clutch release bearing that is causing the sound. He wants me to pay 8k for it. I read in team bhp that it is a scam. Guys tell me what to do

I thought it must be something with start up motor the flywheel and bendix. The clutch never slips. Slotting is good. Tell me what to do guys
that grrr... sound does not seem to be linked with the clutch problem because the sound comes when you start the car; it may be one of the belts or the start up motor.

do you feel the clutch to be harder than it was previously? any shuddering while engaging the first/second gear or any shuddering at low RPMs?

if your car is old and out of warranty now; please take an opinion from a trusted garage outside A.S.S.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 22:21   #153
BHPian

Quote:

Try this , Please check your negative and positive terminals if they are tight and you can remove and clean them and fit it back , also check the connection on your starter motor. I had the KRRR sound in a friends car (ford 1.8D) this turned out to be the issue. The starter draws lots of Amps and when there is a loose connection the starter bendix withdraws and engages due to fluctuating current. Try this first but the clutch replacement is not sounding right.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 07:29   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
that grrr... sound does not seem to be linked with the clutch problem because the sound comes when you start the car; it may be one of the belts or the start up motor.

do you feel the clutch to be harder than it was previously? any shuddering while engaging the first/second gear or any shuddering at low RPMs?

if your car is old and out of warranty now; please take an opinion from a trusted garage outside A.S.S.
Yes the clutch is not as smooth as it was when it was new. it is slightly harder . i have the habit of clutch riding which is minimal especially in chennai traffic. i do not have any shuddering or slippage though and the rpm becomes low when i depress the clutch. The car is under extended warranty but the clutch overhaul has to be paid by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
Try this , Please check your negative and positive terminals if they are tight and you can remove and clean them and fit it back , also check the connection on your starter motor. I had the KRRR sound in a friends car (ford 1.8D) this turned out to be the issue. The starter draws lots of Amps and when there is a loose connection the starter bendix withdraws and engages due to fluctuating current. Try this first but the clutch replacement is not sounding right.
Yes. will do that. took a opinion outside they told me it was bendix engaging flywheel and not coming back tyo position. But now my TASS wants to milk money. shall i refusethe clutch overhaul bluntly?
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 07:33   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. will do that. took a opinion outside they told me it was bendix engaging flywheel and not coming back tyo position. But now my TASS wants to milk money. shall i refusethe clutch overhaul bluntly?
If it is free / warranty then dont refuse else refuse. You said milk money so i assume no warranty/replacement , then just clean your battery terminals,check electricals,check the secondary solenoid(the magnet that pushes the bendix to engage). Not a major problem bu should be repaired soon <1000kms.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 22:51   #156
BHPian

Dear geeash,
If you are paying for it, refuse the clutch overhaul. even if it is a little hard it should serve you at least another 15 thousand kms, when you detect slip then change it. the sound you mentioned may be the bendix, but unless you car was parked in water or water entered the solonoid this is highly unlikely. get the starter motor serviced, about Rs.500.00 and it should cure the problem. unless you have to change some parts in it, then it may cost a bit more. since the mentioned mileage is 45K there is no chance of the flywheel ring damage. ( the ring on the flywheel that engages the starter motor)
VANOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 23:14   #157
BHPian

If it's a Linea MJD then get the timing chain checked as well, apparently it's somewhat fragile.
teknophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 23:21   #158
Senior - BHPian

I have completed 10K kms after a workshop guy, an ex- Maruti dealer technician adviced me to overhaul the clutch. He even advised me not to undertake long drives. His contention was that the clutch is engaging after only a considerable release of the clutch pedal. I was confident that he was totally wrong. There wasn't any clutch slippage.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 23:42   #159
BHPian

Quote:

Hello Geeash,

This happens in my Palio as well. the grr noise is due to the starter solenoid not releasing on time during the first/cold start of the day. do you hear the noise when the engine is started after it is already warmed up?
lucifer919 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:28   #160
BHPian

[quote=GTO;1600622][i]Linkway Honda wanted to change my OHC Vtec's clutch at 45,000 kms.

Problem is, in nearly all of these cases, a clutch overhaul was NOT required. As an example, my OHC Vtec is well over 70,000 kms and still running the original clutch. An Octavia owner friend has covered 40,000 kms since the time that his service advisor wanted to bill him for a new clutch.

Clearly, changing the clutch components and giving the system an overhaul is an extremely profitable job for the authorised service stations. Not surprising, as clutch components are generally priced on the higher side. And it's pretty much a bolt-on job.

Hi,
I have FIAT Linea 2009, which have done 36k till now and i found difficult to engage reverse gear sometimes.While I gave it for routine service asked the service advisor to check for gear engage problem, the advisor told that the life of the clutch is 35k and it will last to a max of 45k and need to replace the full clutch set. Does anyone know this is the correct values or not ?Need to know your opinion

Thanks and Regards
Justin
justin.das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 18:35   #161
BHPian

If one is an ardent driver you will get to know when the clutch is going harder and needs replacement and a little friendly advice from the service engineer of yours, I have seen them using various techniques to find the damage on the clutch, the biggest issue with clutch wear and tear is that it can only be found out through the experience and knowledge of an individual as opening the clutch assembly to find the damage is as good as an overhaul, that is the reason after driving for 2.5 lakh km in manual tranny vehicles I shifted to auto tranny albeit at a loss of mileage in the bargain, but then I have one less part to worry about with wear and tear.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 19:15   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
that is the reason after driving for 2.5 lakh km in manual tranny vehicles I shifted to auto tranny albeit at a loss of mileage in the bargain, but then I have one less part to worry about with wear and tear.
Well said, and I almost bought that statement as-is at the first go!

But then an auto tranny does not save you from the worry about wear-n-tear forever. It's way more complicated to diagnose an auto tranny problem than a manual. Not to scare you
For eg: Worn needle bearings in the torque converter may produce noise when the transmission is in gear, but the noise will go away when the transmission is shifted into neutral. Needle bearings are used inside the torque converter to separate the stator from the impeller, the stator from the turbine, and the turbine from the converter housing. Eventually, a torque converter may need to be replaced which is the obvious choice for premium vehicles.
Having said that, I would always prefer an auto tranny for a car that I'm sure will be driven by multiple drivers. That way I can be sure the clutch is safer than otherwise.
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 19:25   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Well said, and I almost bought that statement as-is at the first go!

Having said that, I would always prefer an auto tranny for a car that I'm sure will be driven by multiple drivers. That way I can be sure the clutch is safer than otherwise.
I think we both missed my point

My point was the mechanical running wear and tear is something that happens to every moving part and replacing them for that is still a joy as you know they have given their life for u, my requirement from an auto tranny is to just eliminate the wear and tear caused by human element which is just what happens with a clutch, most of the times it is poor driving style, different driving styles or manufacturing defects, at least I would like to eliminate the first two factors in the wear and tear.

Oh well, I have seen bad times with clutch with my Scorpio, it gave up on its clutch 4 times within 20k km and in a span of 2 years, during the last clutch change I was so irritated that I refused picking up the vehicle from the service centre without a call from Mahindra guys, guess what it was after their intervention and doing a complete free clutch check up by their own engineer did I pick up the vehicle, I have seen it giving up right in the city, on highway on long drives and at all those places where u don't want to be stuck with a vehicle which refuses to move an inch. Basically, it's me, I had enough of "CLUTCH" in my vehicles, now let us see how auto tranny behaves, at least I am sure it will not be worse that what I have experienced with manual transmission.

Last edited by rajeshchand : 30th July 2012 at 19:32.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 21:17   #164
BHPian

I own a fiat linea Petrol, done ~23k. Please let me know if below mentioned points are indications for worn out clutch.

Increase in RPM (3500 to reach 100KM speed).
Mileage dropped over a period of time.
Harder clutch.

I won't do clutch drive. I couldn't believe Linea's clutch worn out in 23K.
A friend of mine who is a reliable person suggested to replace the clutch.

Can anyone throw some light? Any other linea owner faced this prob?

Cheers
Dinesh
ndinesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 21:28   #165
Senior - BHPian

Is the engine rpm alone is increasing when flooring the accelerator.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote