Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th July 2012, 21:30   #166
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"

Is Clutch pedal assembly the same thing? I am getting that changed for my Punto under warranty though the Car is barely a month old. there is a switch under the Clutch pedal that controls fuel cut on/off and that is also gone. TASS took pictures of all the 3 pedals and the clutch pedal was much higher. They told me that the pedals should always be even.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 21:48   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinesh View Post
Increase in RPM (3500 to reach 100KM speed).
Mileage dropped over a period of time.
Harder clutch.
Increase in RPM is a clear indication of clutch wear as I have experienced in my Scorpio.

Mileage drop is a natural fallout of increased RPM.

Harder clutch of course another sign I have seen, though with my Scorpio I have experienced harder clutch within few days of change of clutch or after a long drive, so this might or might not be a direct result of clutch wear.

Last edited by rajeshchand : 30th July 2012 at 21:54.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 22:11   #168
Senior - BHPian

A rude method to check the healthiness of the clutch is to put 4th gear and try to move the car by releasing the clutch. If the engine fades off or if vehicle moves clutch is OK and if only the engine revvs and the vehicle doesn't move, clutch life is over.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 22:42   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
A rude method to check the healthiness of the clutch is to put 4th gear and try to move the car by releasing the clutch. If the engine fades off or if vehicle moves clutch is OK and if only the engine revvs and the vehicle doesn't move, clutch life is over.
Oh no. Isn't this a sure shot way to wear out the clutch fast? Incorrect gearing and high inertia puts heavy load on the clutch. Long before, when I had not much idea on the clutch, I had fried my dad's Bajaj Chetak clutch in a couple of minutes by riding the clutch on the stands in a higher gear. I have no experience on a car though.

Quote:
But if tested properly, with all pointers headed to a clutch replacement, check as a final sure shot way.
Test that only at/near the service center Or else the clutch might end up during the testing.

Quote:
In the rude way brakes are not applied.
The load on the clutch equates to retarding force.

Last edited by thoma : 30th July 2012 at 22:58. Reason: Quoting below post
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 22:48   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Oh no. Isn't this a sure shot way to wear out the clutch fast? Incorrect gearing and high inertia puts heavy load on the clutch. Long before, when I had not much idea on the clutch, I had fried my dad's Bajaj Chetak clutch in a couple of minutes by riding the clutch on the stands in a higher gear. I have no experience on a car though.
Yes and that exactly is why I used the word rude. Hope it is now clear. But if tested properly, with all pointers headed to a clutch replacement as in thoma's case, use this method as a final sure shot way.
A service station told me to change my alto's clutch indicating some symptoms but I neglected his advice and has since clocked 15K trouble free kms. Even the guy told me not to even travel to places more than 25 kms.
In the referred Bajaj's case, you would have been either sitting on the scooter on stands which is equivalent to applying brakes or engaged brakes. In the rude way brakes are not applied.

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th July 2012 at 22:54.
Old 31st July 2012, 00:14   #171
BHPian

I have a (new) honda city auto tranny run around 62k km in 6 years. The last time I gave my car for a service I mentioned that the mileage was low sometimes. And I was told that the clutch needed replacement. I told them I would get it changed next time around as I wanted to do some checking around why an automatic car would have clutch problems. Any advise for me? What symptoms should I look out for other than lower mileage?
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 00:26   #172
Senior - BHPian

How much low is your average ? What was it before and what is it now ? Of course autos do have a clutch and would need some care.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 01:42   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Test that only at/near the service center Or else the clutch might end up during the testing.
The load on the clutch equates to retarding force.
Not at all. In every car's life its engine would have stalled and stopped several times without damages.
Old 31st July 2012, 14:48   #174
Senior - BHPian

Off topic -

Quote:
Not at all. In every car's life its engine would have stalled and stopped several times without damages.
I thought riding the clutch from stationary in a higher gear cause much wear on the clutch than when stalling.

On the main topic -

Is it true that when we are to change one component of the gearbox, the whole set needs to be changed? I get a hissing sound (more of a friction sound - like fine sand particles getting grinded) from the gearbox when the clutch is depressed in gear. Slot it into neutral or take my foot of the clutch pedal, the sound disappears. The local mechanic suggests that it could be due to the release bearing which might need a change.

So, can I change the release bearing alone or is it advisable to replace the whole set? The vehicle is a Baleno which has done 55k kms. The clutch plates themselves seems to have a bit more life. Only that the sound gets annoying at times.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 21:51   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I misunderstood your post on the point "move the car by releasing the clutch". I was thinking of literally moving the car forward using the accelerator too, which is more of a case of riding the clutch. This definitely would fry the clutch.

Re-reading the post, I understand that you only meant to release the clutch slowly without any accelerator. If so, the clutch wont get fried, but a case of the engine stalling (if the clutch is fine) or the engine tend to continue running (if the clutch is gone). Hope I am right this time. Sorry about the overlook.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 23:54   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it true that when we are to change one component of the gearbox, the whole set needs to be changed? I get a hissing sound (more of a friction sound - like fine sand particles getting grinded) from the gearbox when the clutch is depressed in gear. Slot it into neutral or take my foot of the clutch pedal, the sound disappears. The local mechanic suggests that it could be due to the release bearing which might need a change.So, can I change the release bearing alone or is it advisable to replace the whole set? The vehicle is a Baleno which has done 55k kms. The clutch plates themselves seems to have a bit more life. Only that the sound gets annoying at times.
Your mechanic is right regarding the sound and the need to replace the release bearing. Ot is a part of the clutch and not the gearbox.
But when you lower the gear box to have access to the clutch it is definitely replace damaged clutch components like clutch disc, pressure plate and oil seals if these components have some remnant life left and not indicated earlier. Even it is advisable to replace the flywheel gear ring if the teeth are damaged. This will ensure many trouble free miles.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 11:49   #177
BHPian

Hey guys,
I'd like your informed opinion on what I'm experiencing in my 2002 Santro right now.
The SA said the clutch plate had worn out at 60k clicks. Dad didn't replace cuz it was a 6k bill. The car has done 114k clicks now. I realize he did the right thing for the wrong reasons. So anyway, I find myself in this situation:
1. Cluch pedal is very non-progressive. Starting in 1st gear, there's absolutely no effect as I release the clutch pedal till it has come up almost 80% of the way. And then you have full power within the next 1 inch of pedal travel. It's easy to stall the car.
2. On a level road, with zero throttle input, there is a shudder as the car starts moving in first gear. Not experienced if you supply light throttle input.
3. Pretty low mileage (~10kmpl) in the city.
4. Acceleration is poor. Low end torque is still brilliant (say in second gear) but it's difficult to overtake on the highway. You just can't get the pace up before the gap closes.

I suspect I'm looking at multiple issues here, possibly with the clutch cable (or the hydraulic thing if that's what Santro uses) and a worn out clutch plate. There is also a rhythmic 'rum-rum' sound when in motion, which the SA attributed to 'crankshaft play' and estimated ~18k to fix.
What's your take on this?
SlowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 13:33   #178

Oh, I was a little late in seeing this interesting thread - just couple of weeks ago fell for a clutch overhaul talk from my Hyundai service advisor. My i20 CRDi has done 61K in 3.5 years and the service advisor said clutch overhaul has to be done every 60K kms if the driving style is good and the range will be lower if there is a riding-clutch driving style. The overhaul costed me a little more than 25K!

Apart from the fact that the clutch was hard, there wasnt any other issue like slipping or random RPM increase. Anyways the only consolation is that the mileage is closer to the lower limit (of 70K kms) of the clutch-change range cited by GTO in his thread-starter.
gokuldasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 14:16   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokuldasm View Post
The overhaul costed me a little more than 25K!
What was the break up of the 25K? I changed my Swift Petrol's clutch and flywheel few months back (around 65000 kms, I think) & it cost me 6.5K all inclusive?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 18:21   #180
Senior - BHPian

Our Xylo E8 ABS has completed over 1,74,127kms.
How to identify the Clutch Life left in the above car?
The Pickup is identical to that of when new.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   Reply With Quote