Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th April 2013, 22:39   #181
BHPian

Default Re: SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
How to identify the Clutch Life left in the above car?
http://www.cartoq.com/when-to-replac...warning-signs/

This link elaborately answers your question. Have a read.

Cheers
Saud
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 22:52   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokuldasm View Post
Oh, I was a little late in seeing this interesting thread - just couple of weeks ago fell for a clutch overhaul talk from my Hyundai service advisor. My i20 CRDi has done 61K in 3.5 years and the service advisor said clutch overhaul has to be done every 60K kms if the driving style is good ... The overhaul costed me a little more than 25K!
This is what is called a clutch scam. If there were no symptoms then stealing Rs 25K is daylight robbery. Was only a clutch overhaul done? A bill break up would reveal more, I suppose.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 23:51   #183
Senior - BHPian

during my last visit, SA at Concorde asked for the same. Rs7000 worth replace clutch parts as it is not covered in extended warranty. nevertheless to say, I did not budge. BTW, mine is a Tata Vista QJD ran only 37xxx kms with a hard clutch pedal which can lift 30kgs with ease!.

Last edited by deepclutch : 16th April 2013 at 23:53.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 08:26   #184
Senior - BHPian

My Lancer just completed 10years and 109k+ km and it is still running on original clutch and plates (knocks on wood). If the car is self driven, and clutch riding is minimal, there is absolutely no reason that the clutch needs to be replaced after 40-50k km.

Regular clutch oil change and bleeding helps in maintaining your car's clutch in good condition. In fact, in case of any symptoms like clutch judder etc, one must first try this step and for me, I have driven 40k+ km without need for clutch overhaul.
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 13:32   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What was the break up of the 25K? I changed my Swift Petrol's clutch and flywheel few months back (around 65000 kms, I think) & it cost me 6.5K all inclusive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
This is what is called a clutch scam. If there were no symptoms then stealing Rs 25K is daylight robbery. Was only a clutch overhaul done? A bill break up would reveal more, I suppose.
Bill break up for items relatd to clutch-
Clutch parts
Cylinder Assembly - Clutch release : 2430
Cylinder Assembly - Clutch master : 2547
Bearing - Clutch release: 1130
Cover assembly - Clutch: 3646
Disc assembly - Clutch: 5090
Flywheel assembly: 7173
Clutch labour
Clutch overhaul: 1355
Cylinder Assembly - Clutch master: 301
Flywheel sub assembly: 67
Clutch release bearing: 33

As this was done during the time when Hyundai had a two-week offer / mela where there was a 10% discount on parts and 15% discount on labour, these discounts were applied to the above figures. However after addition of 14.5% VAT on parts and 12.5% service charges on labour, the amount added up close to 25K.

rajeev k - there were symptoms. Clutch was tight and gear shift was hard, which I had mentioned this as a complaint prior to the service.
gokuldasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 15:17   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Clutch parts
Clutch labour
------------------------------snip--------------------------------

rajeev k - there were symptoms. Clutch was tight and gear shift was hard, which I had mentioned this as a complaint prior to the service.
For those symptoms, I think a conscientious service center ( ) would have done just the first two, maybe three, items before going the whole hog. That ought to have fixed it.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 15:42   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there were symptoms. Clutch was tight and gear shift was hard, which I had mentioned this as a complaint prior to the service.
I guess the symptoms disappeared after the clutch assembly replacement?

Apart, everyone, doesn't the clutch get a bit softer when it is a near goner - as it gets to slip easily? And doesn't the springs tend to loosen out than harden? And is it really required to change the Cover Assembly and Flywheel Assembly?
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 16:41   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

Apart, everyone, doesn't the clutch get a bit softer when it is a near goner - as it gets to slip easily? And doesn't the springs tend to loosen out than harden? And is it really required to change the Cover Assembly and Flywheel Assembly?
Clutch wear cannot be compared just by the softness or hardness. Sometimes the clutch play or cable may be cause rather than the weak clutch. The best way to know whether clutch was worn out is "Handbrake test". You can easily get to know about the slippage.

Always be alert, ASS can use dubious ways to make you do this job. Its a cash rich job for them. I personally had such an experience. The service center deliberately adjusted the clutch play and who knows might have changed the cable with an old one, just to make me take up clutch replacement . I went to a good FNG, he tested, changed the clutch cable and everything was fine and good as new. The culprit was just the cable because of which there was hardness and clutch was okay. The car had run only 26K kms by then.

Installing a new flywheel and the release bearing is a good precautionary measure. It costs ~ 1000 INR but that a small amount when the whole clutch overhauling is done. Opening & replacing these small things require dis-assembly of whole gearbox and that's a costly affair. After change of flywheel, you will find massive difference.
symphony_civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 21:52   #189
BHPian

For a 43000 Kms done Hyundai Crdi Verna, I noticed that after driving the car for over 2 hours in very slow traffic, the clutch felt slightly harder than normal. Next drive onwards, the clutch behaved perfect.

Should I be worried or get something tested without falling into the the "Clutch Overhaul Scam"?
barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 12:44   #190
BHPian

The pick up in my TDCi mill in the first and second gears is very low, but its ok in the other gears. The service centre guys told me, it might be due to a worn out clutch plate or a fault in the fuel injector. Both are costly repairs, and I am wondering if their assessment is correct? If there is a fault in fuel injector, what are the symptoms?

I replaced the clutch plate assembly (slave cylinder) only 10k kms back. My dad used the car for about 2k kms, he rides the clutch a bit. Except for the pick up issue, there is no jerk/shuddering in the 1 or 2nd gears at low speed.
Optimus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 12:07   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Yes - clutch is smooth to operate. After the overhaul the service representative assured me that clutch would function without any trouble for next 60K kms!
gokuldasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 17:18   #192
BHPian

Default Hyundai Verna and 'Clutchy' Issues

My friend who drives 2007 Verna CrDI that has done 91K kms recently had a very expensive service done.
The 90K service - including fluids change, wheel balancing and alignment - came to INR 10K.
One day after the service he wasn't able to slot gears. Took it back to the service center; they examined and said the clutch assembly needs to be replaced - costing another INR 15K.
A picture of the old part (Google search says its the diaphragm spring) with a broken piece.
SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"-dsc_0128.jpg

What could've cause this damage? He thinks something is really fishy since this happened immediately after service. Added to this is the fact that the clutch assembly was replaced at 67K kms.

Last edited by sanjaykk : 13th June 2013 at 17:20. Reason: adding additional info.
sanjaykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 13:15   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Our Xylo E8 ABS has completed over 1,74,127kms.
How to identify the Clutch Life left in the above car?
The Pickup is identical to that of when new.
I forgot to mention the following--
1) The "Biting Range" of Clutch is around 5-6 cms. And the "Play" is 2-3 cms before the Biting Range starts.
The FE is too good if driven sedately. The DDAS was displaying 19-21kpl recently when driven at 90kph (2000 rpm) on highway.

2) The CRB (Clutch Release Bearing) makes noise.
The Gear Lever does not come out of Reverse Gear Position (RGP) easily. I have to apply force of both hands to move the Gear Lever from RGP to Neutral.
Seldom it happens that I face some Hardness (No noise) while shifting from 1-2 and 2-3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
http://www.cartoq.com/when-to-replac...warning-signs/

This link elaborately answers your question. Have a read.

Cheers
Saud

I went through the link mentioned above.
According to the above link, it says that if the CRB noise is not checked in time, it can lead to bent clutch fork. which can then lead to pressure plate problems (bent fingers on the plate) and ultimately a change of the entire clutch assembly.

Should I get the complete Clutch Assembly (since replacing CRB alone or complete assembly would attract same labour charges) replaced or wait for the symptoms like low pickup, clutch slippage, etc?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 16th June 2013 at 13:24. Reason: Correction made in last para.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 18:05   #194
BHPian

Quote:
I forgot to mention the following--
1) The "Biting Range" of Clutch is around 5-6 cms. And the "Play" is 2-3 cms before the Biting Range starts.
The FE is too good if driven sedately. The DDAS was displaying 19-21kpl recently when driven at 90kph (2000 rpm) on highway.

2) The CRB (Clutch Release Bearing) makes noise.
The Gear Lever does not come out of Reverse Gear Position (RGP) easily. I have to apply force of both hands to move the Gear Lever from RGP to Neutral.
Seldom it happens that I face some Hardness (No noise) while shifting from 1-2 and 2-3.
from (1) its looks like you have a healthy clutch

A noisy clutch release bearing is usually looked at after the noise gets a bit loud, in the sense not immediately after the symptoms occur.

However, your description about having difficulty of disengaging the reverse gear calls for immediate attention. It could be a faulty transmission.
I cannot be certain of that too because you did not say anything about the clutch sticking or not disengaging when you have this particular problem with the reverse gear.
I advise you to take the car to the ASC and have the car inspected.

Have you tried disengaging from reverse while the engine is off? if you still have difficulty then it could be the gearbox and not the clutch. But then again having the car checked with the ASC could eliminate the guessing game. good luck
Cheers
Saud.
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 18:23   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Clutch parts
Clutch labour

As this was done during the time when Hyundai had a two-week offer / mela where there was a 10% discount on parts and 15% discount on labour, these discounts were applied to the above figures. However after addition of 14.5% VAT on parts and 12.5% service charges on labour, the amount added up close to 25K.

Oh my days, Look at those costs. BTW, where is the pressure plate in the whole list or does Disc assembly cover everything ?

And by Clutch release and Clutch master, I assume they mean 'Slave Cylinder' and "Master Cylinder' ? right ? Why were they changed ?
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote