Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th June 2013, 20:33   #196
BHPian

Default Xylo E8 ABS Clutch Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf
A noisy clutch release bearing is usually looked at after the noise gets a bit loud, in the sense not immediately after the symptoms occur.
I don't remember since how long (in kms) have the CRB noise surfaced.
Quote:
However, your description about having difficulty of disengaging the reverse gear calls for immediate attention. It could be a faulty transmission.
Faulty Transmission after running 1.75 Lakhs Kms.
Quote:
I cannot be certain of that too because you did not say anything about the clutch sticking or not disengaging when you have this particular problem with the reverse gear.
I advise you to take the car to the ASC and have the car inspected.
What do you mean by clutch sticking? Also if I take it to ASC or any local garage, the First Diagnosis (Answer) from them would be "Sir, The Clutch Plates are worn out and needs replacement".
Quote:
Have you tried disengaging from reverse while the engine is off? if you still have difficulty then it could be the gearbox and not the clutch.
Just now I tried disengaging from reverse to neutral using clutch and without using clutch. The Gear Lever comes out of RGP as easily as when the car was new at both instances (with clutch and without clutch). The Engine is COLD (Not run since yesterday afternoon) while doing this.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 16th June 2013 at 20:35. Reason: Corrected some Typo Errors.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 17:43   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Oh my days, Look at those costs. BTW, where is the pressure plate in the whole list or does Disc assembly cover everything ?

And by Clutch release and Clutch master, I assume they mean 'Slave Cylinder' and "Master Cylinder' ? right ? Why were they changed ?
I do not know would be the honest response! Regarding Master and Slave, I went by the recommendation of service advisor for a clutch overhaul and did not ask for component-level details. As I was okay with the quoted figure he would have done whatever was possible with that amount, I would think.
gokuldasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 10:36   #198
BHPian

Default Re: SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"

Well, I too got scammed recently and found out for approx 11K how these scams work. Due to a family medical emergency I had to rush out of town in my i20 last weekend. Just outside Vasai, my clutch got stuck and the I had to stop the car on the side of the NH8 highway as I was just not able to depress the clutch. The nearest Hyundai service center was Mithila Hyundai at Mira Road. Their break down van came and the mechanic told me that he'll have to drive the car to their workshop. He managed to drive the car by using the clutch as less as he can. Once the car was back in traffic, he had to use the clutch and it again stopped in the middle of the road around 300 metres from the workshop. After waiting for 20 odd minutes, he managed to depress the clutch again (maybe cooling down helped) and went to the workshop. Since I had to rush back out of town (my father was being operated on at Surat), I dropped the car there and went to Surat by train. The next day I get a call telling me that the clutch assembly would have to be replaced. Since I was not around to inspect and I was not keen to have the car the workshop for a week until I am back, I gave a go ahead for the same. Apparently they went the whole hog and replaced the disc/pressure plate, slave cylinder and the release bearing. Cost me around 11.5K with labor. They dropped the car back to my place at Vikhroli

On coming back from Surat after a week, I checked the clutch plate and it was prefectly fine, even the bearing looked okay. Got it checked from a local mechanic and he said that there's absolutely no wear and tear on the plate. All the markings/groove were very visible. The car has run only 14K kms in 3 years (as my usage is very less) and I was surprised why the workshop said that the disc had damaged. I think maybe the slave cylinder was the culprit. Unfortunately I cannot even claim insurance or warranty on this as it's a wear and tear part. Would I be able to claim warranty on the slave cylinder at least? Also how does one escalate this at hyundai? Do they have any email where we can tell them about our issues?
kalpeshc is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 11:39   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

My Zen's clutch is feeling a bit hard these days. However, there is no slipping what so ever. What do you guys suggest? Should I get the cable lubricated to see if it helps? My car will soon go for a service for coolant flush, brake overhaul and timing belt change.
saket77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 19:53   #200
BHPian

I had a pleasant surprise a few eyes back when I took my Indica to the Tata workshop near sec56 Gurgaon. It had already done close to 80k kilometers and the car would shiver when the clutch was released. I was positive that I needed a clutch replacement. When I told the service advisor that I think my clutch had lived its life, he replied don't worry, it will still last you for another 10 k km and that he will make a few adjustments to ensure that the car does not shake when releasing the clutch, specially in 1st gear. Found this remark appreciating as I had already given up on the clutch an the service advisor could have easily made money off me. I finally sold my Indica after 9 yrs and 90k km without a clutch change. My experience with this Tata workshop has been excellent mainly because they always convinced me that I don't need to change the part unless it has not lived its life.
v_2rahjo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 17:01   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
My Zen's clutch is feeling a bit hard these days. However, there is no slipping what so ever. What do you guys suggest? Should I get the cable lubricated to see if it helps? My car will soon go for a service for coolant flush, brake overhaul and timing belt change.
Lubrication will not help much, the cable has an inner fibre lining which helps in smooth movement of cable and when this lining is damaged the cable gets rock hard to move.

Only solution is replacement of cable. Go for only MGP or SGP cable as local ones are not very smooth.
Hashim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 18:56   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Please do not fall for the MASS trap of clutch plate replacement: this is the first and only thing they suggest.

My zen's clutch pedal went so hard that it was very difficult to even engage a gear. The SA at MASS suggests immediate replacement of clutch set. He was not ready to budge when I told him that the clutch plate was replaced some 26000 km back and the car being solely driven by me had no chance of premature clutch failure. Besides, there was no symptoms of weak clutch prior to hard pedal condition (viz. drop in performance, fuel efficiency etc).
I requested SA to replace the clutch wire(which i suspected to be culprit) in front of me and in case the clutch was still hard, he could go ahead with his recommended job (bill estimate of some Rs.6500).

The SA denied replacing the wire then and there and was very stubborn hence I asked him to release my car from the workshop. He very smartly mentioned that "work cancelled on customer request". I already was a bit irritated, hence commented on the job card that "focus is on minting money instead of accurate diagnosis of problem" and signed the job card. My comment created a bit of commotion and the GM-Works was there in a jiffy.
Problem discussed with him, he stood there while the mechanic was called in the car receiving area with a new clutch wire. Clutch wire replaced and all was as good as should be in a factory spec zen.

End result: GM all apologetic, SA was finding alibis to run away from the place and me grinning with a bill of Rs.198(for the clutch wire).

Moral: Please get the clutch wire replaced before proceeding with any other measure.
Grr7 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 19:34   #203
BHPian

A bit of experience from me. Some times releaser bearing fork bushes become hard due to lack of lubrication . Clutch wear dust is the culprit. To find out gear box has to be removed. Swift petrol has this problem.
narendra.vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 23:00   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Hashim & Grr7 for your valuable advice. The car was serviced; though the SA himself told me not to touch the clutch as its okay, may be a just a little hard. Even he suggested against timing belt change as the car has not run much, but I insisted that that the belt is pretty old. He got the belt cover opened and the belt was actually in pristine condition! Did not replace. However, some other jobs were done like brake OH, coolant change, water pump & AC belt change and finally rear wheel bearings were changed as they were making a noise at speeds over 50 KMPH. Though, all these jobs costed about 6K, but I think I have a good SA who is honest....that's a rarity at service centres.

But thanks a lot for your advice on the cable. I now know where to hit the problem when I really find it bothering.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 20:46   #205
Senior - BHPian

Faced a strange issue with my Linea's clutch again , an year ago the clutch slave cylinder had broken (there was a recall for the same part) and the car was stranded as the clutch pedal went completely down and refused to come up, i called the Tata service center, they had towed the vehicle and replaced the clutch slave cylinder under warranty.

The car was behaving fine from past few days and today when i started driving the car, just 200 metres from my home, the gears turned super hard, i managed to go about 2 kms when all of a sudden the clutch became extremely soft and was refusing to come up, my heart sank and i thought the clutch will break down, the clutch refused to engage now, was in 2nd gear and somehow stopped the car by the side in 2nd gear and switched off the car (the clutch failed to engage and the car stalled).

Once the car was switched off, the gears became smooth again, now i started the car, pushed the clutch but the car refused to go in 1st gear, since i had done this drill an year back, shut the car, engaged 1st gear, started in gear and somehow managed to bring the car back home driving 2 kms extremely slow.

Checked the slave cylinder but its not showing any signs of leakage, midway while coming home, now the clutch has hardened to an extent that i can only push till first 20% and the rest of pedal is rock hard. There is also a glazing/metallic sound coming.

Called my SA and he said car will require a clutch overhaul, mine is s 1.4 petrol Linea which has done 46000 kms. Is the clutch shot or is it an issue with slave cylinder or release bearings?
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 20:57   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post

Moral: Please get the clutch wire replaced before proceeding with any other measure.
I had the same experience with my M800. Clutch was hard, SA advised for clutch overhaul. Looking at the amount I said I will do it afterwards. Back at home, I opened the engine bay. The clutch cable was hanging by the last of the threads of a wire. Got the clutch cable replaced myself. Problem solved.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 14:14   #207
Senior - BHPian

My Cruze has done 40k km and one fine day, the clutch pedal simply 'went down' and lost the spring action. It's still working but without the springy feel to it. The service advisor is 100% sure that the clutch needs to be changed!

There was absolutely NO slippage, juddering, hesitation etc before this event and I had done a 1200 km BLR-HYD-BLR trip JUST before.

Can a clutch simply die like that? Won't there be SOME indication beforehand?

A new clutch is 25k total. Please help!

Last edited by itwasntme : 26th December 2013 at 14:17. Reason: Spelling
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 14:55   #208
BHPian

Clutch pedal going down and loosing spring action points to faulty Master or Slave Cylinder. Please get the same checked.
malgudi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 14:59   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
My Cruze has done 40k km and one fine day, the clutch pedal ------------------snip--------------tion beforehand?

A new clutch is 25k total. Please help!
Leakage or air, that's what this sounds like. Cheap fixes.
Do try an fng before plopping for a full clutch change.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 15:05   #210
Senior - BHPian

What can be done to a clutch which works just fine (pulls well under load even in steep inclines) but is super hard. So much so that my left foot aches after driving even 5km in traffic ?
The car is a Swift Zdi with 35k on odo and Maruti ASC says the clutch will need replacement.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote