Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th December 2013, 16:04   #211
BHPian

Default Re: SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
What can be done to a clutch which works just fine (pulls well under load even in steep inclines) but is super hard. So much so that my left foot aches after driving even 5km in traffic ?
The car is a Swift Zdi with 35k on odo and Maruti ASC says the clutch will need replacement.
Clutch can be hard for very many reasons. Amongst the main culprits could be the clutch wire, a cheap fix which should not cost you more than Rs.150. Please go for step by step diagnosis instead of surrendering to MASS tactics of minting some money.
Regards
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 17:43   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post

Clutch can be hard for very many reasons. Amongst the main culprits could be the clutch wire, a cheap fix which should not cost you more than Rs.150. Please go for step by step diagnosis instead of surrendering to MASS tactics of minting some money.
Regards
Can you please list out what I should knock off the list, before deciding to go for a clutch replacement?
I asked them to adjust it when they told me its hydraulic and self-adjusting.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 26th December 2013 at 17:55.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 17:57   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What can be done to a clutch which works just fine (pulls well under load even in steep inclines) but is super hard. So much so that my left foot aches after driving even 5km in traffic ?
The car is a Swift Zdi with 35k on odo and Maruti ASC says the clutch will need replacement.
Try a clutch bleed first or best replace the clutch fluid by bleeding the clutch as well as the brakes ( They have the same reservoir). I am 100% sure, your clutch will lighten than what it is now.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 19:02   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please list out what I should knock off the list, before deciding to go for a clutch replacement?
I asked them to adjust it when they told me its hydraulic and self-adjusting.
As humyum mentioned, bleeding of clutch.
Not a guaranteed solution but I guess you can atleast try changing the clutch cable first. Worked fin my case and since your car has not covered very many kilometers and being a tbhpian I am assuming you are a responsible driver too, who wont ever abuse the car/its clutch.
Just ask for change of clutch cable wire, bleed the clutch and then please update the outcome here.
Regards
Grr7 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 10:39   #215
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, am currently outstation now. Will take my Cruze to both a local garage plus another authorized workshop for their opinions. 40k km is much too early for clutch replacement.

Edit: just saw the response from humyum. Now I recollect that my brakes were also puffing air during the initial few minutes when my clutch collapsed. However brakes went back to normal but clutch stayed down. Do all cars share the same reservoir as humyum mentions? If so, seems to be a simple case of bleeding required.

Clutch is not abused at all!

Last edited by itwasntme : 27th December 2013 at 10:45.
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 12:52   #216
BHPian

I think I'm also victim for this scam. My I20 clutch was little hard around 50000 kms,Service agent asked me to replace clutch which i did. Clutch was butter smooth after the change for a month.
After that my cousin once took my car on highway and he said that clutch got struck and didn't come up. But the problem didn't come again.So i didn't took it as serious. slowly my clutch has become hard again. It's not that much hard. Now the ODO is 60000k. My friend said that clutch is little hard but i got used to this.

Today i gave my car to Service (i opted different service center than i usually go)and told that clutch is little hard and it was replaced just 10000 kms back. Service agents calls back to me and says that Master and Slave cylinder needs to be replaced . It costs me around 12k.

any suggestions please :(
Reddy@Hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 15:07   #217
BHPian

Dear friends, i need some guidance on the issue.

I have a 9 year old esteem(petrol) done around 65000 km in very good condition.

Off late i have noticed a drop in pick up of the car. When i consulted my local mechanic he told me that this is due to the clutch plate wearing out and change of clutch plate will rectify the drop in pick up.

I want to know if his diagnosis is correct and if not what can be the other reasons for drop in pick up and the remedial measures.
nik hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 16:23   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik hill View Post
I want to know if his diagnosis is correct and if not what can be the other reasons for drop in pick up and the remedial measures.
The clutch assembly will have to be opened and inspected to be accurate. Apart from slow pickup do you see any other symptoms? Clutch slippage, gear shifts becoming imprecise/grinding noises when shifting or very hard clutch pedal? If any or all of these symptoms are there then its surely the clutch problem. A clutch problem not attended to isn't far from compounded issues. If the clutch assembly didn't have a problem till now then the pressure plate, clutch disk and flywheel have to be jointly inspected upon opening the assembly to find out what needs changing.

Other possibilities for dodgy pick-up could be loose clutch cable or simply a clogged catalytic converter. If you feel that the above clutch symptoms exist in the car have it inspected on the lift. Its very possible that clutch wearing symptoms show up at 65k km, specially if it's within city travel.
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 16:47   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The clutch assembly will have to be opened and inspected to be accurate. Apart from slow pickup do you see any other symptoms? Clutch slippage, gear shifts becoming imprecise/grinding noises when shifting or very hard clutch pedal? If any or all of these symptoms are there then its surely the clutch problem. A clutch problem not attended to isn't far from compounded issues. If the clutch assembly didn't have a problem till now then the pressure plate, clutch disk and flywheel have to be jointly inspected upon opening the assembly to find out what needs changing.

Other possibilities for dodgy pick-up could be loose clutch cable or simply a clogged catalytic converter. If you feel that the above clutch symptoms exist in the car have it inspected on the lift. Its very possible that clutch wearing symptoms show up at 65k km, specially if it's within city travel.
Thanks for your quick response.
In fact i do not see any other symptoms as you mentioned regarding the clutch or gear shifts.
I will get it checked as suggested by you and i will also get the clutch cable checked.
nik hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 21:54   #220
BHPian

Gentlemen I need an urgent help here. Yesterday while driving suddenly my T-Jet's gear shifting became stiff while shifting from 1-2 and 2-3. I suspect it is due to gear cable adjustment or it may need replacement.

The car has no juddering or any another clutch related issue. The gear engages properly, only thing is it is stiff.

Gave my car to Vecto to get it checked and as expected I was told that the clutch assembly needs replacement. This did not surprised me since I was also checking the integrity of these guys. When I asked them the symptoms, I was told that the car has done 40k so that is the interval when the assembly needs replacement.

I told them that only the gear cable may need a service, but they said gear cable is a whole assembly which also include clutch plates and cable lol ! .. Est cost 35k including labor.

So now the question is, where do I get this simple thing adjusted. Even if I need the part I think 99rpm can help.
http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/gear-lever-control-linea.html

Need help on what to do?
Speed Pujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 22:46   #221
BHPian

SP,

Doesn't warranty cover this? And that amount 35k literally shook me.

Try getting an opinion from another Fiat service center as well as an independent one.

Similar problem in a MJD usually requires just clutch bleeding.

Gut feel says that a proper mechanic will be able to resolve the issue at fraction cost.
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 08:00   #222
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
I was told that the car has done 40k so that is the interval when the assembly needs replacement.
Clutch is a wear-and-tear part that depends upon the driving style of the driver. There is no specified distance/time interval mentioned in the maintenance schedule. My erstwhile Linea 1.4 FIRE got her stock clutch kit replaced at 60 k km. But, the amount spent was far less than one-fifth of ₹ 35 k! The symptom does not point towards replacement of clutch kit. Here is the bill I paid in July 2013 at Ramkay, Chennai:

The details are here.

Please get the second opinion from either KHT or Aadya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Doesn't warranty cover this?
Warranty does not cover wear-and-tear parts like clutch, which depends upon the driving style of the driver.
J.Ravi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 09:39   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I told them that only the gear cable may need a service, but they said gear cable is a whole assembly which also include clutch plates and cable lol ! .. Est cost 35k including labor.

http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/gear-lever-control-linea.html

Need help on what to do?
Why not an FNG whom you trust? Parts can be sourced as counter-sale or from reputed private spare parts shops around the city.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 23:40   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
SP,

Doesn't warranty cover this? And that amount 35k literally shook me.

Try getting an opinion from another Fiat service center as well as an independent one.

Similar problem in a MJD usually requires just clutch bleeding.

Gut feel says that a proper mechanic will be able to resolve the issue at fraction cost.
Warranty does not cover the wear and tear part actually.
The reason why I am unable to believe Vecto is bcoz last time when I gave the car for small suspension noise they told me to change the entire setup, and in return they misaligned the alignment. I took it to my regular alignment chap and he said the suspension is good to for another 90k easy. He did the alignment and the car was back to normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Clutch is a wear-and-tear part that depends upon the driving style of the driver. There is no specified distance/time interval mentioned in the maintenance schedule. My erstwhile Linea 1.4 FIRE got her stock clutch kit replaced at 60 k km. But, the amount spent was far less than one-fifth of ₹ 35 k! The symptom does not point towards replacement of clutch kit. Here is the bill I paid in July 2013 at Ramkay, Chennai:

Please get the second opinion from either KHT or Aadya.

Warranty does not cover wear-and-tear parts like clutch, which depends upon the driving style of the driver.
Thanks for the info Ravi. Having really shoddy work exp at KHT, I am shying away from them. Aadya is the next one in queue. However, I think this is a pretty small issue and since its not a highly sensitive part like engine I can think of a third party.
BTW I am very careful with my driving style when it comes to clutch usage. I have gone to extent of returning back home while half way to office if there is a heavy traffic.
In any case, there is no symptom of clutch wear as it is working absolutely fine. The stiffness as I said came up all of a sudden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Why not an FNG whom you trust? Parts can be sourced as counter-sale or from reputed private spare parts shops around the city.
So I need to know if there are good after market service for Fiat. Have heard about Pride motors. And I think sourcing T-JEt parts off the counter might be a tedious activity. Any first hand experience anyone?

Last edited by Eddy : 27th September 2014 at 23:47. Reason: Please do not quote images. It hampers readability for our small screen users. Thanks.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 23:46   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Warranty does not cover the wear and tear part actually.
The reason why I am unable to believe Vecto is bcoz last time when I gave the car for small suspension noise they told me to change the entire setup, and in return they misaligned the alignment. I took it to my regular alignment chap and he said the suspension is good to for another 90k easy. He did the alignment and the car was back to normal.

Thanks for the info Ravi. Having really shoddy work exp at KHT, I am shying away from them. Aadya is the next one in queue. However, I think this is a pretty small issue and since its not a highly sensitive part like engine I can think of a third party.
BTW I am very careful with my driving style when it comes to clutch usage. I have gone to extent of returning back home while half way to office if there is a heavy traffic.
In any case, there is no symptom of clutch wear as it is working absolutely fine. The stiffness as I said came up all of a sudden.

So I need to know if there are good after market service for Fiat. Have heard about Pride motors. And I think sourcing T-JEt parts off the counter might be a tedious activity. Any first hand experience anyone?
Well, the sudden 'hardness' is kind of a worry to hear. Normally, its progressive. Never the less, does your car have a hydraulic clutch ? If so, the first thing to try would be a bleed. Second thing would be to check the master and slave cylinder for leaks ( If its a hydraulic clutch). If its not, then it is indeed the clutch as shifting hard and clutch pedal being hard, both of them happened together. The gearshift being hard happens when the clutch is not fully disengaging while you shift. But the quote of 35 thousand is 'SCARY'. Can you not show it to someone else ? Like a different Fiat service station ?

Also, check the bush on top of the gear linkages at the gearbox end ( by this I mean when they meet the actual gearbox in the bonnet). Check if the bush is lose, or if it has fallen off.

Last edited by humyum : 27th September 2014 at 23:48.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote