Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th September 2014, 08:54   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
So I need to know if there are good after market service for Fiat. Have heard about Pride motors.
It's not rocket science. A competent mechanic will do.
Quote:
And I think sourcing T-JEt parts off the counter might be a tedious activity. Any first hand experience anyone?
I have often managed to source parts for my Palio (now sold) in the past. I have done this from both the main dealer and from reputed spares shops. You just need to walk up to the spare parts counter, provide the part number or the old part, and ask them for the new part. They will invoice you, make the payment and that's it. Not really tedious. Or you can do the same at the spare parts dealer around the corner.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2014, 11:25   #227
Senior - BHPian

The T-Jet's clutch is much more expensive than the 1.4 FIRE's. And so are many other parts, like the brake pads, with regards to maintenance, the T-Jet and the MJD are not grossly apart.

The gear cables come as a separate part. The clutch comes as a kit.

Stiff gear changes may not relate to gear cables needing adjustment, gear cables improve the shift feel only, by large. If you do not have any other symptoms like shuddering, get your CSC and CMC checked.

Firstly, I would try getting the clutch mechanism lubed. Just where the pressure plate is actuated. Does this symptom appear only when hot?
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2014, 18:16   #228
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Well, the sudden 'hardness' is kind of a worry to hear. Normally, its progressive. Never the less, does your car have a hydraulic clutch ? If so, the first thing to try would be a bleed. Second thing would be to check the master and slave cylinder for leaks ( If its a hydraulic clutch). If its not, then it is indeed the clutch as shifting hard and clutch pedal being hard, both of them happened together. The gearshift being hard happens when the clutch is not fully disengaging while you shift. But the quote of 35 thousand is 'SCARY'. Can you not show it to someone else ? Like a different Fiat service station ?

Also, check the bush on top of the gear linkages at the gearbox end ( by this I mean when they meet the actual gearbox in the bonnet). Check if the bush is lose, or if it has fallen off.
It was sudden the way it may feel, but was like progressive in a span of 2-3 kms. But certainly the stiffness came in without a prior notice.
Thanks for your advice, it really helps.
The 35k quote did not surprise me since Vecto has kind of trained their SA to do so. Long back when I went to earlier named Prerarana with my Palio, within 5 minutes of inspection I was given a quote of 25k.

But yeah, as you said I should get it checked with some other dealerships. I am thinking to take it to after market since I really think this issue is not sounding like a rocket science to me.
Speed Pujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2014, 21:31   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was sudden the way it may feel, but was like progressive in a span of 2-3 kms. But certainly the stiffness came in without a prior notice.
Thanks for your advice, it really helps.
The 35k quote did not surprise me since Vecto has kind of trained their SA to do so. Long back when I went to earlier named Prerarana with my Palio, within 5 minutes of inspection I was given a quote of 25k.

But yeah, as you said I should get it checked with some other dealerships. I am thinking to take it to after market since I really think this issue is not sounding like a rocket science to me.

Well If I could drive your car I could exactly tell you what it is, but never the less. Anyway its not rocket science, but it needs to be checked at the right places. Trust someone who only goes by the list of things to check which I had mentioned in my last post.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 14:01   #230
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The T-Jet's clutch is much more expensive than the 1.4 FIRE's. And so are many other parts, like the brake pads, with regards to maintenance, the T-Jet and the MJD are not grossly apart.

The gear cables come as a separate part. The clutch comes as a kit.

Stiff gear changes may not relate to gear cables needing adjustment, gear cables improve the shift feel only, by large. If you do not have any other symptoms like shuddering, get your CSC and CMC checked.

Firstly, I would try getting the clutch mechanism lubed. Just where the pressure plate is actuated. Does this symptom appear only when hot?
Quote:
Well If I could drive your car I could exactly tell you what it is, but never the less. Anyway its not rocket science, but it needs to be checked at the right places. Trust someone who only goes by the list of things to check which I had mentioned in my last post.
Two additional things I would like mention if that gives any clue. First I waded through water which was almost half wheel deep. This was for like 50 mts. But IIRC the stiffness was much before that.

Second and most suspious thing is I am not using my car very often these days. Its only weekend drives and sometimes not even that. The issue is I am traveling abroad day after tomorrow so no idea what may be the condition once I am back.

But yeah, your inputs are really valuable. I am planning to get some prelim analysis done. Even a roadside guy can give some clue I after driving the car.
Old 29th September 2014, 15:21   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two additional things I would like mention if that gives any clue. First I waded through water which was almost half wheel deep. This was for like 50 mts. But IIRC the stiffness was much before that.

Second and most suspious thing is I am not using my car very often these days. Its only weekend drives and sometimes not even that. The issue is I am traveling abroad day after tomorrow so no idea what may be the condition once I am back.

But yeah, your inputs are really valuable. I am planning to get some prelim analysis done. Even a roadside guy can give some clue I after driving the car.
Bhai This is something which you should have mentioned right on your first POST as I know exactly what is wrong now, the passing through water gave it away. Its a sticky clutch/pressure plate due to water entering the clutch assembly. Don't worry, nothing needs replacement.

Do some of these.

1) Park the car in the sun, blistering hot sun.
2) Let it idle for sometime ( 15 to 20 minutes)
3)Pull the handbrake and leave the clutch slowly slowly till the rear end of your car starts ducking down due to the car wanting to move forward. A little revs in a petrol car will be needed so that it does not stall. Depress the clutch again. Do this 2 to 3 times more. The point of this exercise is to generate some heat inside the clutch and evaporate the water condensation as well as one small layer of the clutch plate which is damp.
4) Go for a high revving run on the highway.

All this in my opinion should get your car back to its glory.

Be careful with point 3. U should exactly know how to do it, if you are not confident about it, don't do it.

Best of luck !

Get the clutch bled too anyway.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 17:25   #232
BANNED

Quote:
Bhai This is something which you should have mentioned right on your first POST as I know exactly what is wrong now, the passing through water gave it away. Its a sticky clutch/pressure plate due to water entering the clutch assembly. Don't worry, nothing needs replacement.

Do some of these.

1) Park the car in the sun, blistering hot sun.
2) Let it idle for sometime ( 15 to 20 minutes)
3)Pull the handbrake and leave the clutch slowly slowly till the rear end of your car starts ducking down due to the car wanting to move forward. A little revs in a petrol car will be needed so that it does not stall. Depress the clutch again. Do this 2 to 3 times more. The point of this exercise is to generate some heat inside the clutch and evaporate the water condensation as well as one small layer of the clutch plate which is damp.
4) Go for a high revving run on the highway.

All this in my opinion should get your car back to its glory.

Be careful with point 3. U should exactly know how to do it, if you are not confident about it, don't do it.

Best of luck !

Get the clutch bled too anyway.
I think I should come and meet you at Leicester.
This is my To-do list tomorrow and will update accrodingly
Old 29th September 2014, 18:56   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I should come and meet you at Leicester.
This is my To-do list tomorrow and will update accrodingly
Hahah, I am in Bangalore for a few days, we can catch up if you are free. I ll test your car too.
Old 30th September 2014, 11:00   #234
BANNED

Quote:
Hahah, I am in Bangalore for a few days, we can catch up if you are free. I ll test your car too.
Sure I will PM you.

BTW, the water got dried up of its own .. Drove my car today and everything is silky smooth.
I am a happy man now.

Thanks a zillion to everyone, this was a great learning for me. Got to know another why I should not drive while its raining heavy.

Time to call up Fiat complaint center.
Old 10th October 2014, 12:10   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure I will PM you.

BTW, the water got dried up of its own .. Drove my car today and everything is silky smooth.
I am a happy man now.

Thanks a zillion to everyone, this was a great learning for me. Got to know another why I should not drive while its raining heavy.

Time to call up Fiat complaint center.
You my friend just saved those RS 35000.

*I ll pat my back on that*

Cheers
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 12:36   #236
BHPian

Default SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"

My accent has done 99k kms and did not have any issue with its clutch plates so far.However now I am planning to sell the car and went to get it serviced. SA told me clutch is hard and I should get it replaced and that in case of a breakdown, towing cost may be similar to the replacement cost now. Though I was not sure of it, still went ahead and got clutch plate replaced to avoid putting new owner in any major trouble right away. Anyways going by the posts here, 99k KMs is great for the clutch to last and additionally car is running much smoother after replacement.

Last edited by andydude : 10th October 2014 at 12:38.
andydude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 23:41   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydude View Post
My accent has done 99k kms and did not have any issue with its clutch plates so far.However now I am planning to sell the car and went to get it serviced. SA told me clutch is hard and I should get it replaced and that in case of a breakdown, towing cost may be similar to the replacement cost now. Though I was not sure of it, still went ahead and got clutch plate replaced to avoid putting new owner in any major trouble right away. Anyways going by the posts here, 99k KMs is great for the clutch to last and additionally car is running much smoother after replacement.
Yes, clutch replacement can be user dependent. You surely are a very good driver for the clutch to last 99k. Mine lasts in the region of 70 to 80 K at max. I am clutch effort sensitive, so a hard clutch pedal just won't work for me, so even if its not slipping, I get it changed anyway.
Old 11th October 2014, 01:12   #238
BHPian

My Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI's clutch has been going on strong for a 150,000 kms. I have faced no problems, and the clutch has not been touched by the workshop.
prakhar1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:05   #239
BHPian

Just Another Skoda Story

My 2 year old 30k run Yeti was intermittently giving out some clunking noise from the engine bay. The car would run normal for 10 days and then for some few minutes this "clunking" sound used to come on idle and then would automatically go away. I also noticed that the used used to vanish as soon as i pressed the clutch and then reappear at its own will after few days.
this went for a week and since my daily office commute is 2kms only i took the available appointment at Fahrenheit Skoda.
Now after keeping my car for a good 20 days i have been told that the DMF and the clutch needs replacement and the cost will come out to 80K odd.
I can either pay the full amount or wait for the approvals which will happen when they do in the words of the service advisor.
What i fail to understand that the care gave zilch problem apart from the noise issue while shifting to any gear nor any of the RPM issues mentioned in the clutch related issues threads.

Thus i would like to ask if its possible for the clutch and flywheel to go kaput without showing any symptoms?
fiorano88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:24   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiorano88 View Post
Just Another Skoda Story

My 2 year old 30k run Yeti was intermittently giving out some clunking noise from the engine bay. The car would run normal for 10 days and then for some few minutes this "clunking" sound used to come on idle and then would automatically go away.

Thus i would like to ask if its possible for the clutch and flywheel to go kaput without showing any symptoms?
Unlikely for the sound to be due to the clutch considering it appeared on idling.
Usually it's difficult to demonstrate these sounds to ASS technicians especially if they come on/off.
Here's a tip. Next time the sound appears, take a long thin metal rod, and place one end of it against various stationary engine parts and the other end near your ear to check where the noise is loudest.
Ensure that you don't foul any moving parts such as pulleys and belts in the process. A gentle touch is all that's needed to identify which component is loudest.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote