Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd November 2014, 16:50   #241
BHPian

Default Re: SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiorano88 View Post
Thus i would like to ask if its possible for the clutch and flywheel to go kaput without showing any symptoms?
Technically many things are possible, but if the external factors like driving style, maintenance, etc are unchanged then there is really not much reason for the clutch to give up so early. Is this the 4x4 Haldex system? The BorgWarner Haldex unit uses special fluid, could any owner confirm if changing it might help? Do the clunking sounds appear to be from the rear base of the car? If the DMF is affected the gears should seem clunky and the shifter would be a little coarse in general. Have you observed that?

Far from an expert here but mechanical failures on most car clutches will always show up after certain symptoms i.e heavy clutch pedal/lagging acceleration etc. Sudden failures are rare. By clutch replacement do they mean all of it or certain parts? First demand a detailed breakup on their letterhead.
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 20:41   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Technically many things are possible, but if the external factors like driving style, maintenance, etc are unchanged then there is really not much reason for the clutch to give up so early. Is this the 4x4 Haldex system? The BorgWarner Haldex unit uses special fluid, could any owner confirm if changing it might help? Do the clunking sounds appear to be from the rear base of the car? If the DMF is affected the gears should seem clunky and the shifter would be a little coarse in general. Have you observed that?

Far from an expert here but mechanical failures on most car clutches will always show up after certain symptoms i.e heavy clutch pedal/lagging acceleration etc. Sudden failures are rare. By clutch replacement do they mean all of it or certain parts? First demand a detailed breakup on their letterhead.
Exactly and thats what bothers me. I faced no issues whatsover when changing gears and the driver from the dealership who picked up my car had also stated the same to the SA.
if such a major component on a car should fail as to require a complete replacement wouldn't it cause at-least some trouble signs?
Its a 4X4 haldex system. The sound was coming from the engine compartment only, left side.
fiorano88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 16:32   #243
BANNED

Hi, facing a problem with clutch on my palio. Its not engaging sometimes. Specially in startstop traffic and malls parkings where i have to keep the clutch pressed for long in 1st or 2nd gear. After a while even when clutch is fully pressed car keeps on moving forward slowly. Also changing gears is not possible or take too much effort. Then i have to either switch off-on the engine or leave the clutch completely and then everything gets back to normal.

I have tried to replicate this problem by press the clutch for long in 1st gear but it does not happen :-/. I have faced this problem very randomly 4-5 times in last 3 months. But yesterday while driving it happened very frequently at least 3-4 times.

can anyone please tell me what could be the cause of the problem. Car has done about 45k kms and there is no clutch slipping or anything.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 17:00   #244

Folks,

Need your urgent help. I have a 2009 Aveo done 57K Km. My clutch got stuck once before 2 months and I had to manually release it with my foot. After that I have not faced that issue, But my vehicle struggled to pull more than 90-100 in my recent highway trip. I have left my car for the 60K service (Major where timing belt gets changed - Quote - 25K). I had brought the clutch issue to the notice of the SA and his response after inspection was the clutch needs to be replaced and Quote is 14.5k inclusive of labor (excluding fly wheel). Let me know if the above is a valid scenario. Also when i checked the cost of parts it was close to 10K and when i checked with JK automobiles in JC road he mentioned the parts cost to be 3.8K and maintained they will be OEM parts. Is it fine to get the parts from outside do this overhaul with a mechanic?

Note - There is no clutch slipping or high rpms.
hardilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 19:51   #245
Senior - BHPian

Clutch shuddering had started big time in my Xylo sometime after the 10 k service. I was resigned to my fate of thinking that I had fried the clutch at some slope with "half clutch" and high engine revs.

Still I persisted using the same clutch, till my servicing again at the 15 k mark. Voila, the shuddering disappeared completely after the service, without any billing on clutch jobs ! Wonder what solved the problem ? What's more, my Xylo has now reached 35k on the Odo, on the original clutch, no shuddering.

So maybe even a shuddering clutch symptom need not be the final nail in the coffin, after all ?
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 22:46   #246
BHPian

My Linea has done 1L kms recently. It does not shudder in any of the forward gears, as mentioned in the earlier few posts but some time i feel shudders when reversing. The pedal is not very hard . Any other checks to ascertain whether overhaul is required?
Car-riedAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 14:25   #247
Senior - BHPian

Scam alert:

Where: Pai Auto, Santacruz (West), Khira Nagar.

Story: I had taken my Civic to Pai Auto at Khira Nagar as my Civic's clutch was feeling limp to press.The pedal needed to be depressed all the way in for the clutch to engage.I took my car to Pai Auto as it was a close by.They took the car in,diagnosed it to be a bad clutch and told me that it will need a clutch overhaul.I obliged , blindly trusting these (choicest abuses here) morons.Took them a day and half to overhaul the clutch with new plates,new release bearings and skimming of the flywheel.Charged 13.7K for everything.After the job was done clutch was back to normal but there was intense judder in the first and reverse gear.

I took the car back again and showed to the shop owner who said that the judder will go away after 500kms of running and if it did not does then we will need a install a new flywheel.I drove a 1000 kms and though the judder reduced it has not gone away and i will have to live with same for some time.However this was not the end of it.I found that the clutch was not feeling tight and it felt a bit limp especially in the morning when driving away for the first time during the day.Suspecting some issue ,i decided to show it to my old garage guy.(I did not go to him in the first place because he was situated far away and i did not feel confident to drive at his place which was 10 kms away.)He said that there was no reason to change the clutch as he had driven my car not too long ago and the only thing needed to be changed was the clutch master & slave cylinder.

Not only did Pai Auto caused me unnecessary expense in overhauling the clutch,they also managed to screw the car's low gear driveablity and have also messed up the axle seals while overhauling the clutch.The Car started to leak gear oil after the overhaul and is now with Honda where they are changing the cylinders and the axle seal for close to 18K Rs.Incompetent or plain daylight robbers, i do not know what to coin Pai Auto as.I would suggest you guys to stay a 100 feet away from these money suckers.I really wish i could print all the nicest words for them here but forum rules prevent me from doing so.

My 2 mistakes:

1-Trusting those shmuckers.

2-Not going through this thread.

This what happens when you blindly trust people.

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2015 at 12:37. Reason: As requested
sumeethaldankar is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 15:56   #248
BHPian

Exclamation Re: SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Scam alert:

Where : Pai motors , Santacruz(west), Khira Nagar.

Took them a day and half to overhaul the clutch with new plates,new release bearings and skimming of the flywheel.....
Im very sorry to hear about your experience. Its a pity, there are hardly any trustworthy mechanics left.
On the other hand, (if i remember correctly, the civc has a dual mass flywheel)Dual mass flywheels should not be skimmed or balanced ever.
THe flywheel was not and fault and in any case should be replaced and not skimmed .
HimuraKenshin is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 19:51   #249
BHPian

Need some pointers;
My Diesel new fluidic Verna ( 2013 model) has a hard clutch. i.e there is resistance when i try to put reverse gear. No slippage or any other problem. I already had similar problem 6 mths ago for which Service center charged me 13k which i now feel was total rip off. What could be problem now?

Just for information my ride is a mixture of smooth plus gurgaon to noida traffic congested roads of 2 hrs per day. Have driven 37k kms in almost 2 years.

Do you think i am in for a major shock again or could this be a simple affair.

Regards,
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 20:07   #250
Senior - BHPian

1) Check pedal travel,play? If it can be adjusted, try to do it a little.

2) Check Hydraulic oil level?

If these 2 are Ok, observe RPM gauge on a open&Free road and pick a gear, 2nd or 3rd at a OK speed and gently press the throttle - if the RPM shoots up a little with little OR no improvement in speed (even a LAG) then the clutch is slipping and weared out :(
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 13:58   #251
BHPian

Need some info here guys -My friend took his ~35K kms covered-i10 for service to Hyundai-A.S.S and was told that the clutch needs an overhaul.

I told him about the scam these SAs play with this clutch-overhaul story and asked him to stay away and referred him this thread and he has decided to not fall prey to their tactics.

However, my friend mentions that his clutch is quite tight and there is a judder when he engages the 1st/2nd gears.

Now, what needs to be checked/corrected here?
I'm not sure if i10 comes with a hydraulic clutch or clutch-by-wire. If its a clutch-by-wire, would changing the clutch cable help him?
Lastly, if at all he has to go for a clutch-overhaul, Hyundai A.S.S has quoted 8.5K per service tax - which I felt to be quite costly? Your opinion plz.

Cheers!
callvvijay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 20:26   #252

My ANHC that has clocked 52000km makes a scratching noise when I depress the clutch. This noise comes from under the hood. The clutch seems to "slightly hold" at the point when the noise emanates. When I depress further, the noise is gone and the clutch moves all the way down. There is no impact on the performance of the Clutch though. During the 50k service, my SA took a can of WD 40 spray and sprayed it into the clutch cable. The noise was gone after that for about 2K kilometres and it has now resurfaced. When I contacted the SA, he said that there is no problem with the clutch and that this is merely a lubrication issue. I sprayed the lubricant myself and it seems to have worked as the noise is gone now. Is this normal behaviour? Or is it an early sign of clutch wear? I plan to embark on a 1000 km road trip next week and I want to be doubly sure that my clutch is working fine.

My SA assured me that this is absolutely normal and the clutch would last for atleast another 25-30k KM. I just want to get expert opinion on this forum before I embark on the long journey.
iVtec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 10:50   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Must be an issue with the clutch cable. Your SA is probably right that it's a lubrication issue. Why not take out the entire cable, grease it well and put it back? That may solve the problem. I don't think it to be a sign of clutch failure; however, if the cable is rubbing against something, it might deteriorate at the point and break. And a broken clutch cable may lead to a clutch failure.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 14:13   #254

Today I visited Fiat service camp at Jay Vijay Pune.
My car has just run 13k km in less than 2 years.

The moment I mentioned about the little noise when shifting to the reverse gear, the SA immediately came up with "Sir your cluth has gone bust."

He then went ahead and drove my car (i was the passenger) and concluded that the entire clutch kit needs the replacement.

Now, I personally never make any complaint about the clutch.
The SA, without looking at the clutch or even opening declare that the entire clutch had a problem.

I told him that then go ahead and fix it under warranty.
Then they had an internal discussion and came with "Sir clutch and break don't have any warranty as they are wear and tear parts"

I immediately sensed a scam, and countered them that only "wear and tear" part of it is not covered. If then entire clutch goes kaput, then they MUST honour the warranty.

They still denied it. Note that it's all on the observation of just 1 person.

To hell with their service camp, I took the gate pass along with their observation sheet, and drove from there.
Made a complaint to Fiat now. Let's see how they handle the issue.
kookaburra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 18:26   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookaburra View Post
Today I visited Fiat service camp at Jay Vijay Pune.
My car has just run 13k km in less than 2 years.
I told him that then go ahead and fix it under warranty.
Then they had an internal discussion and came with "Sir clutch and break don't have any warranty as they are wear and tear parts"
Things may vary from case to case basis but the clutch should have been replaced under warranty.

In my case , I have a Linea which had run for @30K and had the same clutch issues like a bit hard, reverse gear does not engage easily and stuff like that.

In the 3rd service at @30K/2 years, the clutch assembly (some Rs:6500..i think) was replaced in warranty. Also Break disks were replaced under warranty though I never felt anything wrong (used to Indica and nano I guess) . I never even had to mention the term "warranty" or anything and it was pro-actively replaced.

Then again down south Ramkay Fiat is generally a very good dealer and in general South of India seems to be much better in this regard. What is interesting is that 30K/2 years is replaced under warranty but it was denied in your scenario for just 13K.

Actually if Ramkay had not replaced it under warranty, i would have left as such for another 15K-25K.

Last edited by Aceman82 : 13th May 2015 at 18:27.
Aceman82 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote