Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th May 2015, 14:41   #256
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Hi All,

I have a 6 year old 1.2 i10 Magna. Done about 44000 kms.

Recently, I have noticed that the clutch has become very hard. Nowadays, I have to frequently travel between Delhi - Gurgaon & back and a lot of it is bumber to bumper traffic.

By the time, I reach home, my left leg feels very tired. When i got my car serviced recently, the service engineer also noticed the hard clutch. However, he said that clutch pads would need to be replaced and it would cost me approx. 6-7k.

Is this normal? I mean, is there no other way- 6-7k seems to a very high cost to solve the problem of a hard clutch.

Could somebody also tell me why does the clutch become hard - is it a driving style problem or something else.

cheers,
locopoco777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 16:18   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locopoco777 View Post
Could somebody also tell me why does the clutch become hard - is it a driving style problem or something else
Did he mean clutch plate? Clutch is a wear & tear part, it will go out eventually. When would it go out is an interesting question, depends on driving style - more the clutch/half-clutch is used the faster it will wear. Clutches have failed/become hard at even 4k kms, some only after 80k+ kms.

Are there any symptoms like slipping or poorer acceleration than usual? If I'm not mistaken the i10 has a cable clutch system which can be adjusted to feel lighter (supposing it has deformed in anyway). If the only issue is hardness and the car in every other respect drives normally in terms of gears engaging into the slots, acceleration, etc then it may be a minor issue & most probably nothing needs replacing. You could take the car for a 2nd opinion in another workshop & see what they say.

Maybe this is a legitimate clutch issue, but from what I know of Hyundai, lies fly out between the teeth of these service advisors so I'll always be on the sceptical side. Cable-driven clutches can deform or break at anytime so do treat this as a priority repair since the issue has come up already.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 18:21   #258
BHPian

Default Re: SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"

My Maruti 800 is nearing 42000 Km in its Odometer. The gear shift is not that smooth recently. I showed it to Vyttila Indus service centre and the service manager says the problem can be due to the pressure plate. He is not forcing me to change the plate, but if it is to be replaced, then pressure plate, clutch pads and flywheel, these all are to be replaced. I have to take a call on the above. I need to say here, that there is no clutch slippage, no reduction in the power, but only the gear shift is not that smooth.
Expecting your suggestions.
bbhavan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 18:24   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
----- I have to take a call on the above. I need to say here, that there is no clutch slippage, no reduction in the power, but only the gear shift is not that smooth.
Try adjusting the clutch cable. A faulty adjustment will throw similar symptoms like that you have been facing. Since, it costs next to nothing, it is a shot worth taking before going for a clutch overhaul. If you have no other problems (as you stated) I have a strong feeling that it will work in your case.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 00:19   #260
BHPian

Quote:
My Maruti 800 is nearing 42000 Km in its Odometer. The gear shift is not that smooth recently. I showed it to Vyttila Indus service centre and the service manager says the problem can be due to the pressure plate. He is not forcing me to change the plate, but if it is to be replaced, then pressure plate, clutch pads and flywheel, these all are to be replaced. I have to take a call on the above. I need to say here, that there is no clutch slippage, no reduction in the power, but only the gear shift is not that smooth.
You should also try to get the gear linkage bushes looked at, they are known to cause difficulty in shifting gears
bullrun87 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 10:55   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Try adjusting the clutch cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
You should also try to get the gear linkage bushes looked at, they are known to cause difficulty in shifting gears
Hope the above two works can be done without opening the whole gear box assembly. Anyway, I will ask the service guy to do the above.
bbhavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 13:09   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Hope the above two works can be done without opening the whole gear box assembly. Anyway, I will ask the service guy to do the above.
Yes opening the gearbox wont be required for these jobs.
Old 26th May 2015, 15:01   #263
BHPian

I am not so sure on what the service advisor said - clutch plate or clutch pad. Sorry, my knowledge is a little limited. But he was clear that though there was no problem in the clutch but if I wanted the clutch to be light, the entire assembly would need t be replaced.

There is no slipping but now that you have mentioned, I have noticed a slight loss in acceleration. Does this have anything to do with the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Did he mean clutch plate? Clutch is a wear & tear part, it will go out eventually. When would it go out is an interesting question, depends on driving style - more the clutch/half-clutch is used the faster it will wear. Clutches have failed/become hard at even 4k kms, some only after 80k+ kms.

Are there any symptoms like slipping or poorer acceleration than usual? If I'm not mistaken the i10 has a cable clutch system which can be adjusted to feel lighter (supposing it has deformed in anyway). If the only issue is hardness and the car in every other respect drives normally in terms of gears engaging into the slots, acceleration, etc then it may be a minor issue & most probably nothing needs replacing. You could take the car for a 2nd opinion in another workshop & see what they say.

Maybe this is a legitimate clutch issue, but from what I know of Hyundai, lies fly out between the teeth of these service advisors so I'll always be on the sceptical side. Cable-driven clutches can deform or break at anytime so do treat this as a priority repair since the issue has come up already.
locopoco777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 20:25   #264
BHPian

Quote:
There is no slipping but now that you have mentioned, I have noticed a slight loss in acceleration. Does this have anything to do with the clutch.
Maybe & maybe not, very hard to say because a slight loss of pick-up can have several other reasons. A 2nd opinion from perhaps another authorised service centre in Delhi (preferably one with good customer reviews) is the only logical next step. If the clutch movement is as hard as you say then it would be difficult to drive. Ask them specifically if adjusting the clutch cable might help or not. Rest depends on their opinion.

Last edited by dark.knight : 26th May 2015 at 20:32.
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 22:30   #265
BHPian

Quote:
By the time, I reach home, my left leg feels very tired. When i got my car serviced recently, the service engineer also noticed the hard clutch. However, he said that clutch pads would need to be replaced and it would cost me approx. 6-7k.
Exactly the same thing with my 9 year old Alto Lxi done 45k.Clutch pedal became very hard. Stalled changing it for as long as possible because there was no slipping except for some vibration when engaging first on load.
Finally got the clutch changed at MASS. They changed Pressure Plate, Clutch Plate, Thrust Bearing and cable. Cost me about 4000/-. Usually flywheel change is not required unless it has been scored by a worn clutch plate. Post change, the pedal is so soft.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 10:46   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
Yes opening the gearbox wont be required for these jobs.

Yesterday I showed the car to a senior advisor from the same service centre and he was of the opinion that the clutch assembly has some more life in it. So they lubricated the cable as per my request and returned the car. There is some improvement in the working, though it is not that perfect.The linkage bushes are not checked as they told me that for that they have to open the gear box.
bbhavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 12:12   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I showed the car to a senior advisor from the same service centre and he was of the opinion that the clutch assembly has some more life in it. So they lubricated the cable as per my request and returned the car. There is some improvement in the working, though it is not that perfect.The linkage bushes are not checked as they told me that for that they have to open the gear box.
I was referring to the bushes on the gear lever near the driver's seat, servicing them does not require opening the gearbox. In my case I was finding it hard to shift into some gears until I got this checked out at MASS. You have an old car and they could have worn out thats why I suggested it.

Last edited by bullrun87 : 27th May 2015 at 12:30.
Old 27th May 2015, 12:58   #268

My Spark has done 50000 km and there is a minor very minor leak in the Power Steering Assembly. The Chevrolet wants me to replace whole assembly for Rs23000/-. Just for a minor leak? They say oil seals cannot be replaced.
Please advise.
captajkatkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 13:09   #269
BHPian

Quote:
My Maruti 800 is nearing 42000 Km in its Odometer. The gear shift is not that smooth recently. the service manager says the problem can be due to the pressure plate. He is not forcing me to change the plate, but if it is to be replaced, then pressure plate, clutch pads and flywheel, these all are to be replaced. I have to take a call on the above. I need to say here, that there is no clutch slippage, no reduction in the power, but only the gear shift is not that smooth.
At the best of my knowledge, while changing a clutch, usually the clutch plate, pressure plate and the release bearing have to be changed. Flywheel does not need to be replaced, unless it is a vehicle specific case. But clutch cable is not very expensive and it should better be replaced, if need arises.
rahul4640 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 14:21   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If at all there is a need to change the clutch in your car, get the clutch plate, pressure plate, clutch release bearings. These are a set that need a change and IF required the flywheel too.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote