Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th May 2015, 14:45   #271
BHPian

Default Re: SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
I was referring to the bushes on the gear lever near the driver's seat, servicing them does not require opening the gearbox.
Oh! When I told the service guys about the bushes, they were referring to the ones inside the gear box. Now I will ask them to check the ones which you are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
At the best of my knowledge, while changing a clutch, usually the clutch plate, pressure plate and the release bearing have to be changed. Flywheel does not need to be replaced, unless it is a vehicle specific case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If at all there is a need to change the clutch in your car, get the clutch plate, pressure plate, clutch release bearings. These are a set that need a change and IF required the flywheel too.
Thanks Rahul and Anurag.
I will surely keep your advice in mind when I do the clutch change. Yesterday I got the car back from the service centre and I hope I can continue to use it for another 20- 30K before changing the clutch system.
bbhavan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 15:29   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captajkatkar View Post
My Spark has done 50000 km and there is a minor very minor leak in the Power Steering Assembly. The Chevrolet wants me to replace whole assembly for Rs23000/-. Just for a minor leak? They say oil seals cannot be replaced.
Please advise.
I suggest you get the system checked at an FNG. The power steering assembly consists of many component as you know, the reservior, the pump, hoses etc. A leak in any one component may require the specific component replaced and not the entire assembly, 23k is just absurd. The easiest and financially benefitting option for Authorised Service Centre is to go for full replacement.

IMO oil seals can be replaced (not too sure of the Spark though), it may incur a high labour charge but it should be do-able and much cheaper than blowing 23k.

Last edited by navsjab : 27th May 2015 at 15:32.
navsjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 10:02   #273
Senior - BHPian

This Monday I drove my WagonR to work, as it was lying unused for the past week. I could sense clutch issues due to :
  1. Vibrations when releasing the clutch pedal in 1st gear. This was even more prominent on inclines.
  2. The biting point being at the last 25 % of clutch travel.
This apart, I was told by MASS that it was due for an overhaul soon, when I'd got it serviced a few months ago.

However, the pickup is still good, and even the top speed does not seem to have changed, though I did not get a chance to drive it above 60 kmph. The FE is normal too.

This apart, I tried the method of slotting it into 3rd gear at a standstill, and gradually releasing the clutch pedal. The car did stall, which means the clutch is really not fried.

All this is kinda confusing me. Any clues? The car is 14+ years old and has 76700 clicks on the odo.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 19:05   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
[*]Vibrations when releasing the clutch pedal in 1st gear. This was even more prominent on inclines.
May be the clutch release bearings are in its end. How is shifting quality otherwise?
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 20:27   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Vibrations when releasing the clutch pedal in 1st gear. This was even more prominent on inclines.
The biting point being at the last 25 % of clutch travel.
Your clutch friction plate is indeed at the end of its life. Time to change it. However, since there isnt any slip (power loss) yet, you can delay the change, but the judder might cost you your engine and gearbox foundations. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, change the friction plate.
Quote:
May be the clutch release bearings are in its end. How is shifting quality otherwise?
Hi,

When the clutch release bearings are nearing its end, you wont feel a vibration, specially varying with load (OP said inclines) . When the release bearing is nearing its end, there will be a sound whenever you press the pedal. Thats the only time when the bearing works.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2015, 12:25   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Your clutch friction plate is indeed at the end of its life. Time to change it. However, since there isnt any slip (power loss) yet, you can delay the change, but the judder might cost you your engine and gearbox foundations. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, change the friction plate.

Hi,

When the clutch release bearings are nearing its end, you wont feel a vibration, specially varying with load (OP said inclines) . When the release bearing is nearing its end, there will be a sound whenever you press the pedal. Thats the only time when the bearing works.
The clutch release bearing was indeed producing a shrill noise whenever the clutch pedal was pressed. I'd posted about this around 5 years back on the other thread for identifying clutch wear, and have been living with it so far as the clutch was then identified to be okay. But the new symptoms posted in the earlier post have made be believe that the clutch does need an overhaul.

So when you say friction plate, does that mean I need to change the clutch plates, flywheel, etc also? I'll surely change the bearing that was troubling me for the past few years.

Though I am unsure of how long I'll keep the car, I'd like the car to be as normal as possible. Call me finicky!

Last edited by vnabhi : 27th November 2015 at 12:27.
Old 1st December 2015, 13:22   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So when you say friction plate, does that mean I need to change the clutch plates, flywheel, etc also? I'll surely change the bearing that was troubling me for the past few years.
Usually, the clutch assembly means the friction plate, the pressure plate and the release bearing - Change all of them. Also, the flywheel should be fine if there isn't any abuse, or waiting till last moment to change the friction plate. So, inspect before changing the flywheel.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 12:22   #278
BHPian

Gentlemen,

A fellow colleague of mine needs our help in diagnosing a weird sound that comes the moment the clutch pedal is touched and/or depressed.

It's similar to a screech, and is audible outside the car if you're listening for it. From inside the car, it isn't that noticeable. One can hear the sound the moment the clutch pedal is touched, and depressed slightly, and when it is fully depressed. Car in question is a petrol Elite Hyundai i20 Asta, about a year old, done 16k kms. While idling, there is no noise, and the gear shifts are fine, not hard at all.

If my guess is correct, are we looking at a clutch release bearing that's gone kaput? The car was driven through the flooded roads recently with a decent amount of water logging, though the car wasn't a victim of the flooding. The car is maintained by Hyundai as per regular service schedule. Could it be that the water logging caused damage to the release bearing? I did ask my colleague whether she depressed/rode the clutch while driving through water logged streets, and she said she might have :|

If needed, I can post a video here demonstrating the noise. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance & cheers!
sourav9385 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 20:36   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Usually, the clutch assembly means the friction plate, the pressure plate and the release bearing - Change all of them. Also, the flywheel should be fine if there isn't any abuse, or waiting till last moment to change the friction plate. So, inspect before changing the flywheel.
I drove my Waggie for the past 2 days after nearly 2 months. I discovered new symptoms of clutch wear: when increasing the revvs in 2nd and 3rd gear to keep pace with traffic, I felt it sometimes slips to neutral. I tried in 4th and found the same symptoms at times. On closer inspection, I found that the gear did not slip to neutral, but it was actually the rpm that was increasing, with the speed remaining constant, thereby giving an impression that it had slipped to neutral.

My wife said this has been happening a few times over the past 2 weeks. Now I think the clutch really needs attention. I will give it to MASS tomorrow, as they are now open 9 to 5 on Sundays (ascertained during my evening walk).

If I am not mistaken, this is the tried and tested symptom to identify clutch wear, am I right?
Old 7th February 2016, 16:43   #280
BHPian

I should have looked up this thread before - my bad luck I did not

My clutch was making some noise and the SA at VW Sewree took his own time and told me clutch, pressure plate, flywheel had to be replaced. I did try and talk it thorugh over the phone asking about cleaning the surface with a lathe machine etc etc but he wouldn't hear anything. Anyways after the throwing in the towel and paying the invoice (see below) he had all of the above done.

I should mention this is the second flywheel change with about 1 L on the odo on the VW Jetta. Here are pics of the three all removed - anyone who can let me know if I should retain the flywheel just in case I need it again?
Attached Thumbnails
SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"-vw-invoice.jpg  

SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"-img_20160207_122202.jpg  

SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"-img_20160207_122300.jpg  

SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"-img_20160207_122303.jpg  

Last edited by aghosht : 7th February 2016 at 17:10.
aghosht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 20:28   #281
Senior - BHPian

I got my WagonR's clutch assembly inspected and replaced today at MASS, and the total damage came to Rs 7000, including the flywheel. Now the clutch pedal feels so soft that I feel it depresses with hardly any effort at all!

I'll post a feedback after using the car for a few days. I'm not sure which of the following refer to friction plate or pressure plate or clutch plate, but below is the breakup of charges:
  • Flywheel Rs 1117.90
  • Bearing Input Shaft Rs 193.06
  • Cover Clutch (WagonR Minor) Rs 812.23
  • Bearing Clutch Release Rs 506.55
  • Disc Clutch (WagonR ) Rs 1004.37
  • Clutch Assy, Clutch RH Rs 204.37
  • Super Lubricant Rs 210.46
  • Labor Rs 2250
  • VAT Rs 571.32
By the way, the Waggie had crunched 77312 kms just before this clutch overhaul. And it's 14.5 years old!

Last edited by vnabhi : 8th February 2016 at 20:34.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 22:46   #282
BHPian

So here I am with a strange problem, I had the pressure plate, bearing and clutch plate replaced at 1L km on my SX4 diesel when there was a repeat issue with the gear syncro rings. Now at about 1.15 L everything is fine and I can see no sign of clutch wear however when I was driving down yesterday at about 100 kmph the engine was at 2500 rpm like the way it should be, pressing the A padel, the speedo did climb but there were a few times when I could see the rpm jump a bit freely.
Thought its an issue with the ac clutch / coil but today the same thing happened without ac. Would anyone have any such experience?
adi_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 15:17   #283
BHPian

Hey guys!
I had the clutch plate pressure plate release bearing and the cable recently replaced while the flywheel was machined,on my 2010 i10.
After the replacement, it works perfect but there is a lot of play in the clutch pedal before it actually starts to get depressed.
(Its like the pedal is limping until there is some more pressure is applied.- its really annoying and the leg/pedal travel is also huge.)

I asked a couple of FNGs, they said the play can be adjusted only by tightening the cable but then it would cause the clutch to wear out faster.

On looking down near the pedal area, I found a stopper which limits how much the pedal can come out.
Can this play be reduced by adjusting this stopper bolt accordingly? If yes, will it affect the wear on the clutch?

The functioning of the clutch is fine, I don't want to mess with that. I only want to reduce the play in the pedal.

Thanks.

Last edited by hrbheda : 21st April 2016 at 15:18.
hrbheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 02:22   #284
BHPian

Go ahead and get the cable tightened. By cable tightening , wat they mean is tightening or loosening the nut at the clutch (not pedal) end of the cable effectively shortening the cable or lengthening it to get the desired engagement point.

It is not going to harm your clutch as long as you don't tighten it beyond the point of engagement. In fact I have to play with my m800 clutch cable nut every time it is back from service to get it just right for me . Autoteam, aluva always fiddles with my clutch and carb settings.

(BTW I've stopped going to them as I discovered very shoddy n sloppy work done to my car causing major leaks that are unfixable unless I go for major repair, and poorly done work designed to go bad in a few thousand km. None of the rubber boots are ever in place letting dust n mud enter everything
.)
Joe-Ker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 15:53   #285
BHPian

Hey guys...Need help with a Skoda problem

My 30k kms run Fabia's clutch pedal gets stuck to the floor after changing gears and the car starts to move on its own, with the clutch stuck to the floor. The clutch can be pulled back with my foot, which is still fine on an empty road, but in stop and go traffic, the only way to stop the car is by killing the engine.

I've noticed that pumping the clutch 3-4 times before using it makes it work fine for a couple of gearshifts, and then it's back to its problematic ways.

Took the car to JMD Auto, Kandivali 2 days back. The SA took one look at the clutch's behaviour, and coolly asked us to replace the clutch plates, flywheel, master cylinder and slave cylinder. He gave an estimate of approx 50k for the job, and asked us to leave the car there for 4 days because parts were not in stock.

I was not convinced about having to change the entire clutch assembly and we drove away. Any ideas what can be the issue?
RonXRi94 is offline   Reply With Quote