Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st October 2016, 10:11   #301
BHPian

Default Re: SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"

Hi Everyone,

My petrol swift is in its 11th year with ~79,000 kms on the odo. It's clutch was changed in 2009 with around 25K on the odo.

For the last year or so, the car is being used daily for school drops and is being driven by drivers hired by an agency. Recently, many drivers have started complaining about clutch- difficulty in pickup, and also excessive noise. I do experience the noise myself, when I drive the car (not very frequently), but have not noticed pickup issues (or maybe jut not bothered to notice them).

Now, I plan to keep the car for another year or two, and it will continue to be used for school drops. My options are as follows:

1. Take it to MASS and have them check it- either set the clutch plate or replace
2. Take it to a FNG (who serviced the car in August), and have him check- and either set the clutch plate or replace.

If I do replace the clutch plate, should I go with the FNG or would MASS be better. The FNG is SK carzone (Bosch) in Bangalore, with good feedback in the Bangalore directory on this forum.
ajayclicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 10:49   #302
Senior - BHPian

Either would be fine - Maruti parts are available over the counter and a clutch replacement is straightforward.

Your clutch is about due for a change now - it would not have needed any change in 2009 I suspect. There'll be more than usual wear and tear on a car used for school drops because you're going to spend a lot of time in a crawling stream of cars in the street that leads to the school, in order to pick up / drop your kids.

However as you use drivers from an agency - warn each driver / have your wife warn them to keep their feet off the clutch unless changing gears, and never to stay at a signal in gear and with the clutch pressed. That is a taxi / agency driver bad habit that many have and it is hell on clutch plates.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 11:11   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Your clutch is about due for a change now - it would not have needed any change in 2009 I suspect.
We were suspecting that the problem would have resolved with some plate setting, but the workshop insisted that it needed replacement. Had heard about swift clutches going bad from 20K kms itself, and had practically learnt driving on this car itself, so gave benefit of doubt to the workshop.
Old 21st October 2016, 12:31   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post

We were suspecting that the problem would have resolved with some plate setting, but the workshop insisted that it needed replacement. Had heard about swift clutches going bad from 20K kms itself, and had practically learnt driving on this car itself, so gave benefit of doubt to the workshop.
It you are confident about the FNG, then buy the clutch plates , pressure plate and clutch release bearings from the nearest MGP stockist and change them at FNG.

When was the gear oil changed last? If that's wasn't preformed recently, get it changed too. Maximum to cost you 8-9K inclusive of labor.

Last edited by theMAG : 24th October 2016 at 22:22. Reason: Typo corrected
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 12:54   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Either would be fine - Maruti parts are available over the counter and a clutch replacement is straightforward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It you are confident about the FNG, then by the clutch plates , pressure plate and clutch release bearings from the nearest MGP stockist and change them at FNG.
Went to the workshop and as I was driving, was not sure what the fuss was. While I do not drive the swift regularly (been driving an XUV500 since March), I felt that the clutch was fine. Anyways, reached my FNG, and they sent a mechanic for a test drive. The mechanic took a long test drive (with me seated besides him), and went over all sorts of roads and traffic conditions.

Conclusion- everything is fine. I was told to advise the driver not to keep the clutch pressed while driving, and release the accelerator gradually. The manager at the FNG actually told me: tell your driver that we have adjusted the pressure plate and lubricated it, and he will be satisfied
Old 23rd October 2016, 19:28   #306
BHPian

My Manza (diesel) is having problems , that looks like Clutch related . The Symptoms are as follows -

1. When the Car starts to move from Standstill , there is shudder in the Car ; This also happens when I try to go into lower gears while on the Move - maximum for 2nd Gear .
2. The Clutch pedal needs to be pressed extremely for Gear change ;
3. Gear changing , in general , has become very very hard , sometimes I fear that the Gear Handle may be broken by applying too much force !!
4. Clutch pedal when pressed for a while , sticks to floor ;

I have changed Clutch Cylinders - Master and Slave both , But the Gear change problems persist. My car has run about 77K Km., and I changed clutch plates once around 38K , on advise from TATA Authorized Service Centre .

Going by the threads in the Forum , I think the Car may need another change of Clutch ?
Any suggestions from Experts - please ?
TechNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:29   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNomad View Post
Going by the threads in the Forum , I think the Car may need another change of Clutch ?
Any suggestions from Experts - please ?
The Manza pressure plate is very sensitive to temperature. If your engine is generally running hot, like you frequently drive in high traffic situations the pressure plate springs goes for a toss. This makes the friction plate not to come off the flywheel completely and hence making the gearshifting very hard.

You need to go ahead and change the pressure plate and if required the friction plate.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 21:56   #308

During the 60k scheduled service of my Micra, the service advisor took us out for a spin in a nearby express way to check how the car is performing. We had complained of a noise coming when depressing the clutch. He was driving at around 80 kmph and did some pressing-depressing of the clutch and said that your clutch is slipping.

I had asked with my driver if he is facing any issue with the clutch or engaging the gear to which he replied nothing as such. I gave the go ahead to replace the clutch plates as the car was still in warranty and not changing that might void it. This resulted in the noise going away but it returned few months later.

Is it the right way to check for clutch wear?
rupdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 22:25   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post
Is it the right way to check for clutch wear?
When the noise heard is while engaging and disengaging the clutch, then it is related to clutch release bearings more than the clutch plates itself.

Get that bearing checked if it is healthy or no.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 10:33   #310
BHPian

What can be the fault with my car? I'm taking it for service this weekend and I need to be sure from my end. Below are the symptoms:

(-) Notchy and hard gearshifts, especially the 1st and 3rd to 2nd require some additional effort. This is a deal breaker.
(-) Shudders at low RPM when I release the clutch without enough throttle input. This is pronounced on inclines. This seems due to poor low end of K10 engine. Can this be fixed?
(-) Car feels jerky in lower gears during clutch release-accelerate action.

(+) Release the clutch slowly and completely without throttle, after a second of minute shudder, the car crawls smoothly without any complains. It can be done in 1st, 2nd and R gears even with AC on.
(+) Clutch is very light to operate. It turns slightly hard in prolonged B2B traffic.

Any insights as to what could be the issue? Is it clutch related/GB related/me nitpicking unnecessarily?
The car in question is a 5 year, 38k run WagonR K10. About 70% of the total kms have been driven within the city.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 13:46   #311
Senior - BHPian

Worn out flywheel or pressure plate, clutch disk facings possibly wet due to an oil leak from the crankshaft - so many possible reasons.

Get the clutch stripped and inspected. The gearshifts - check the rubber bushes too, if they're worn out.

The vehicle is quite new and unless you or your driver drives with a foot stamped onto the clutch, and stops the car with the clutch at signals instead of putting the car in neutral ..
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 14:58   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
What can be the fault with my car? I'm taking it for service this weekend and I need to be sure from my end. Below are the symptoms:

(-) Notchy and hard gearshifts, especially the 1st and 3rd to 2nd require some additional effort. This is a deal breaker.
(-) Shudders at low RPM when I release the clutch without enough throttle input. This is pronounced on inclines. This seems due to poor low end of K10 engine. Can this be fixed?
(-) Car feels jerky in lower gears during clutch release-accelerate action.

(+) Release the clutch slowly and completely without throttle, after a second of minute shudder, the car crawls smoothly without any complains. It can be done in 1st, 2nd and R gears even with AC on.
(+) Clutch is very light to operate. It turns slightly hard in prolonged B2B traffic.

Any insights as to what could be the issue? Is it clutch related/GB related/me nitpicking unnecessarily?
The car in question is a 5 year, 38k run WagonR K10. About 70% of the total kms have been driven within the city.
Probably a semi worn clutch. Due to continuous city use, there could be some uneven wear on the clutch which causes this judder. It was there on my wagonR as well and had same behaviour, except not hard gearshift. Gearshift was fine.

Since there is no slippage, its better you keep the clutch for sometime before replacing, since in city traffic this judder can appear quite early and the same issue will turn up after replacement.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 15:17   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

For judder, also check gearbox and engine mountings.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 14:29   #314

Just to add my own experience to this thread:
For my Lancer, was advised clutch replacement by ASS SVR in Bangalore when the car was left there for some accident repair. I had face no issue with the clutch (89k on the odo). Still got the replacement done anyway (he said labor will be cheaper since they are anyway opening some things).

It didn't make any significant difference to the clutch. This was a few years back. Now the odo has 1.27 lakh on the odo the clutch is doing perfectly fine. So still not sure whether I got unduly taxed by doing an unnecessary clutch replacement.

My dad has a Zen, and there it's a different story. He is pretty bad with the clutch, revving high in half-clutch esp while parking (he learned driving at age of 65). So in that car, the clutch had to replaced at ~45k and was an obvious requirement.
lancer_gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 10:31   #315
BHPian

My punto diesel has clocked 69000 kms in 5 years. Off late i have been experiencing hard gear shifts. Somedays the gears shifts are tight and it takes some force to slot them but sometimes the shifts are normal and gears engage without much effort. While putting the reverse gear there is netallic 'crunch' sound... but not everytime.

Showed it at FASS in delhi and they said clutch needs to be changed and there is a possibility of gear cables going bad which alse needs replacement. Total expenditure is 8k for clutch and anither 7k for gear cables assembly.

I hope the master and slave clyinders are fine.

Please share your feedback.
kapilsharma80 is offline   Reply With Quote