Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th October 2016, 08:51   #316
BANNED

Default Re: SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"

I did clutch overhaul few months back @ 120000km. I purchased Valeo clutch set (pressure plate & clutch plate) at 3k and clutch bearing was good. There was no need to change gear cable. In fact I never changed my gear cable. It was fine. The total loss was INR 4.5k. The problems you mentioned above are indications of bad clutch plate so you may not require to change everything else.
Vikas Gupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 11:22   #317
BHPian

My car's clutch has gone progressively harder and I notice a huge difference when I drive someone else's car. There is no issue with pickup or performance, so I don't think the clutch is slipping. Occassionally, it takes a bit more effort to slot the car in 1st gear, and the shifts are a bit rougher than what they were a few months back. I suspect that the latter problem is due to bad adjustment of clutch-cable at last service. I can take the car back to MASS, but if it is easy enough to adjust the clutch cable, I would like try it out myself. Any pointers?

Car in question is - Ritz petrol, close to 7 years old, driven 36k of which a significant portion is on bumper to bumper ORR of Bangalore.
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 11:33   #318
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure you aren't overdue for a lube change for your clutch, gears etc?

Try to put the car in neutral when stopped, drive it in first gear / second gear and coast along for some time before braking and putting it back in neutral when you stop. Don't jam your foot on the clutch and then drive half clutch if at all possible.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 14:15   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Are you sure you aren't overdue for a lube change for your clutch, gears etc?
Pardon my ignorance, but - is there some lube for clutch? And, for the gearbox doesn't it get lubricated with engine oil itself? If so, that was changed a couple of months back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Try to put the car in neutral when stopped, drive it in first gear / second gear and coast along for some time before braking and putting it back in neutral when you stop. Don't jam your foot on the clutch and then drive half clutch if at all possible.
Are these instructions for when the gears simply refuse to engage or are these troubleshooting steps to look for something?
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 14:30   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but - is there some lube for clutch? And, for the gearbox doesn't it get lubricated with engine oil itself? If so, that was changed a couple of months back.
Engine oil is only for the engine, Gearbox is not a part of the engine and has a different oil.

Clutch fluid can be checked as mentioned in the following link http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Clutch-Fluid-Level

Hope this helps.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 14:51   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are these instructions for when the gears simply refuse to engage or are these troubleshooting steps to look for something?
These are instructions to increase your clutch life - Keep the car in neutral when stopping at signals, don't drive in higher gears by riding the clutch when crawling at low speeds, don't drive with clutch depressed.

Clutch and gearbox are not related to engine oil. Transmission oil is changed every 20k kms in most Maruti cars (that's the schedule for my WagonR). If not changed, you can verify your replacement schedule from the User Manual and get it changed.

Regarding a hard clutch, get it adjusted at MASS or any FNG. It's an easy job. If it doesn't solve the problem, you might look at changing the clutch cable later.

Last edited by ashis89 : 7th December 2016 at 14:52.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 19:03   #322
Senior - BHPian

One of my close business associate got scammed in the same way at Kurla East workshop of Mahindra, His XUV 500 previous generation was at 35k when he was lured to changed the clutch, Brake discs and pads, Total bill went well over 80,000 INR!

These people take benefit out of the people who are, Lets say, "NON Car Guys"! Stay sharp guys and please check reviews before sending your car in a service centre, This is getting pretty common !
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 20:29   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car's clutch has gone progressively harder and I notice a huge difference when I drive someone else's car. There is no issue with pickup or performance, so I don't think the clutch is slipping. Occassionally, it takes a bit more effort to slot the car in 1st gear, and the shifts are a bit rougher than what they were a few months back. I suspect that the latter problem is due to bad adjustment of clutch-cable at last service. I can take the car back to MASS, but if it is easy enough to adjust the clutch cable, I would like try it out myself. Any pointers?

Car in question is - Ritz petrol, close to 7 years old, driven 36k of which a significant portion is on bumper to bumper ORR of Bangalore.
As a first thing you should try replacing the clutch/brake fluid. This means bleeding the brakes at all four corners till fresh fluid comes out of the bleed nipple. Bleed the clutch at the last.

If this does not reduce the hardness then go ahead and replace the clutch. There is only so much that you can do with clutch hardness in hydraulic clutches. Also the difficulty in slotting gear means the pressure plates are weak. Replace the transmission fluid(gearbox oil) if you have not replaced in the last 7 yrs

I was in a same situation as you. Our i20 diesel clutch had become rock hard and started to give me knee ache. Tried bleeding but no avail. Got the clutch plate + Pressure plate + release bearing replaced and the clutch has become very light! And my knee thanked me. Don't fuss over it too much. Just replace the three components if the bleeding does not solve the issue.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 21:24   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
One of my close business associate got scammed in the same way at Kurla East workshop of Mahindra, His XUV 500 previous generation was at 35k when he was lured to changed the clutch, Brake discs and pads, Total bill went well over 80,000 INR!
80K for just these things? Are you sure there was nothing else replaced?

I too have first generation Xuv (5 years old with 70K kms done) and might be going in for clutch replacement soon, hence your post is scaring me
nitinralli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 23:46   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
80K for just these things? Are you sure there was nothing else replaced?

I too have first generation Xuv (5 years old with 70K kms done) and might be going in for clutch replacement soon, hence your post is scaring me
Along with all the consumables, Engine oil blah blah, It was his 40k Servicing, Ill try and get his bill if he still has it, This scam was confirmed when i had sent my first generation XUV for a small Left side pulling issue and i was asked to replace the clutch along with brake and discs, A Small abuse and they accepted everything will work fine till the next service.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 08:46   #326
BANNED

Valeo clutch set for XUV 500 costs around Rs. 9-9.5k. Why is clutch replacement cost high?

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd December 2016 at 13:01. Reason: Post edited. Please put some effort into using correct punctuation, capitalization & grammar in your posts. Thanks.
Vikas Gupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 11:55   #327

Sorry Guys for bumping up old thread but my experience was such that it needed to be shared. read on

I was at the service station(HASS) for 1 year 10k KMS. service of my Grand i10 petrol. I generally stay with vehicle whenever it goes for service. So when SA was preparing my job card i told him that i will stay with the car and also told him to mention in the job card to set the clutch play. Now comes the scam part, he sat in the car and without starting the car he depressed the clutch and said saar your car's clutch pedal is jumping so you need to replace the clutch assembly and the car has clocked around 7.2k KMS. at that time.
So for that i told him it is not needed. He said me in high voice that your clutch will not last for around 200 KMS. and you will be stranded on the middle of road. I was aware of such scams thanks to Team-BHP. I asked him to set the play of the clutch only and give me car back after servicing. To my surprise he told me that Hyundai cars have Hydraulic clutch so we can't set it. So after this i told him to give me quotation of clutch replacement. He told me that it will cost me around 8.5k with labour charges but he can request his management for 50% discount on labour charges if i agree today for replacement.
I told him that i don't want to replace as of now and i will replace it by some other day. He kept requesting me as he is selling me peanuts.
After this i test driven about 10 nos. of Grand i10 petrol but all seemed same as my clutch. Now after my car was up on the ramp i told the mechanic to check the clutch and its play. Now comes the funny part he starts the car and checks the clutch and says it is perfect no need to do anything. Drive it the way you are driving it will last for more then 70k KMS. I said him that the SA is asking to replace the clutch. He called him and showed the clutch saying it is not needed and took the job card written on it Clutch replacement not needed. In actions taken column he written checked and adjusted the clutch play.
So this way i was spared from clutch scam my car is nearing 10k KMS. and running perfectly fine without any issues.

Last edited by N4Nikunj : 14th February 2017 at 12:09.
N4Nikunj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote