Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st June 2010, 17:15   #121
BHPian

Jinojohn - That sounds really strange !!

I lubricate the clutch cable of my swift myself by spraying WD40 from near where it joins the pedal inside the foot well !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 17:38   #122
BHPian

Confusion again - The mechanic lubricates my Cielo Clutch Cable by pulling out the clutch cable from under the bonnet (Not at the point near the clutch pedal). I was thinking that this should be the correct procedure, because the oil would flow from the higher point (from below the bonnet) to the lower point (near the clutch pedal).

Have you experienced a marked smoothness after lubricating near the clutch pedal?
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 18:35   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I think the mechanic is trying to bluff me - can any body confirm whether you have done clutch cable lubrication for any of your maruti cars?
Not heard this from my mechanic but he too do not lubricate cable but only clutch pedal joints. Also on new pack of clutch cable for Maruti esteem I remember it was written in bold, Do not lubricate cable. It was not MGP but some other brand I don't remember.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 19:21   #124
BHPian

Jino - As far as i know, the latest clutch cable inner has a liner - what they call as friction free. Older cables were just the wire strands & hence maybe they had to remove & grease the entire cable.

Yes, i do feel a difference, a bit smoother but not all that great !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:50   #125
BHPian

I think the inner liner can be a "reduced friction" type, not as "friction free" as the oiled type. When I next go to the workshop, I would try to get the clutch cable lubricated and see whether there's a difference in smoothness.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 21:40   #126
BHPian

Default OHC- The Moody Clutch Problem!

Hi guys! I drive a OHC 1.3EXI (Stock) the car has done 40000kms in the last 8years, which as one BHP-ian described as a "sparsely driven car!" Lately I have been having trouble with my clutch. The clutch has not only become 'stiffer' but also give out squeaking noises! Which are rather irritating! But a strange thing happened the other day, when I was forced to drive through a "water logged" street( something that Calcutta/Kolkata is infamous for...) and as soon as I got out of water, the clutch suddendly became "as smooth as butter!" It felt like I had just taking the car right out of the showroom! But unfortunately my happiness was short-lived as after 1-2 kms, my clutch was back to being it's moody old self! Now, I have tried to rack my brains on this strange phenomenon, but I can't seem to find an anwer, Was it the water? I my clutch plate getting over heated...? I'm still puzzled... however, I am still suffering with the problem, everyone is suggesting a Clutch Overhaul, which is going to cost me a BOMB! People quoted me anything between 6.5k to 9k!!! BHPians HELP!!!
sgchaudhuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 22:25   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

At last service i was told brake pads need replacement, i opted to wait till they wear out fully, Now after 3-4k kms they still are running fine.

This is something i posted last year in November, The same brake pads are working brilliantly after 10months and ~20,000kms.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 22:55   #128
Senior - BHPian

I remember a garage guy's attempt to cheat my friend who had a Zen and this garage guy told him that the clutch needs overhaul and replacement of discs plate etc. My friend immediately told me and we went to the garage. I know quite well that there is no problem with the clutch. The garage guy told me that the clutch has reached the end ofits life and his reason is that the cable cannot now be adjusted. I drove the car with the garage guy and I could not find any problem only symptom was the clutch play is more and could not be adjusted. I told the guy to remove the external link to which the cableis connected on the housing and told him to change one spline. He was very reluctant to do it but I pressurised the guy who asked a junior mechanic to do whatever I say and went off. We did it and the car was running fine for a further one and half years where after my friend sold the zen.
My friend would have coughed up 3K if the needless replacement was done.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 01:08   #129
BHPian

Default Clutch pressure plate replacement suggested

Guys, i would like to take your opinion here.
I drive around a Santro Xing which has clocked around 47K so far. Of late, while engaging the car in first gear and rolling it, the car shudders a bit and then moves on. The same happens when I engage the reverse gear. So basically to sum up, the process is like follows. I slot into gear, car starts rolling as i release the clutch, a slight shudder/vibration of the whole body, continue rolling normally. So overall the gear shifting is not smooth. A minor vibration can also be felt as I move from lower to any higher gear, but it is most noticeable and annoying on the 1st and reverse.

Recently when i took it to the A.S.S to discuss this matter, the mechanic took a drive in my car and suggested that the Clutch pressure plate would need replacement soon. He told it can be done along with the 50K routine service and would cost ~4.5k.

Could anyone tell me if that could be the real reason for the vibration? Any other possibility? The car has been driven mostly in the city, and fortunately we don't face B2B traffic here on a daily basis.
Is there anything i need to know/check before going ahead with the replacement of the pressure plate?
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 11:59   #130
BHPian

@jayded: Checking bad clutch is many times described here in forum so do that and if clutch appears ok then I would suggest to get the engine rubber mountings checked before you go for any costly repair. Other symptom of worn out mounting is a thud like sound when shifting gears say from 3rd to 2nd and releasing clutch.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 15:06   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgchaudhuri View Post
Hi guys! I drive a OHC 1.3EXI (Stock) the car has done 40000kms in the last 8years, which as one BHP-ian described as a "sparsely driven car!" Lately I have been having trouble with my clutch. The clutch has not only become 'stiffer' but also give out squeaking noises! Which are rather irritating! But a strange thing happened the other day, when I was forced to drive through a "water logged" street( something that Calcutta/Kolkata is infamous for...) and as soon as I got out of water, the clutch suddendly became "as smooth as butter!" It felt like I had just taking the car right out of the showroom! But unfortunately my happiness was short-lived as after 1-2 kms, my clutch was back to being it's moody old self! Now, I have tried to rack my brains on this strange phenomenon, but I can't seem to find an anwer, Was it the water? I my clutch plate getting over heated...? I'm still puzzled... however, I am still suffering with the problem, everyone is suggesting a Clutch Overhaul, which is going to cost me a BOMB! People quoted me anything between 6.5k to 9k!!! BHPians HELP!!!
Don't spend anything on clutch.
Its the issue with the cable.
Oiling the cable and the links/joints will solve.
Rs 50-150 job (depending on where you go).
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 02:42   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Don't spend anything on clutch.
Its the issue with the cable.
Oiling the cable and the links/joints will solve.
Rs 50-150 job (depending on where you go).
Hey Alpha1,
I wish things were that easy! My mech says it's the problem with the pressure plate.. A quick change of that would make it 'as good as new'! and BTW, Honda OHC come with a hydraulic clutch, so it's not as easy/cheap as getting the clutch cable oiled/replaced!
I expect to spend anything between 2-5k! Will be going to the service station tomorrow!
Please let me know if any of you have anything to add to this!
Thanks
SGC
sgchaudhuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 02:53   #133
Team-BHP Support

^^ My 2 cents- Since both Clutch and Pressure plate are closely located, get the clutch plate checked for damage as well. Get the Clutch replaced even if it is 30% left as it will save the labour charges.
Old 10th September 2010, 19:07   #134
BHPian

Default Clutch problem in Accent

I drive a March 2008 Hyundai Accent. Since last few weeks, I hear squeaking sounds when I press/depress the clutch. This happens even if the car is not started.
I purchased a bottle of WD40 and sprayed it on the section market in red circle in the attached photo as that was the place from there the squeaking sound was coming.
But the spraying did not resolve the problem.

The car has done close to 32K. 70% City and 30% highways. Clutch does not slip and no juddering. No loss of power and mileage is same as before.

I plan to visit the service center on Monday but need to cross check with the experts here incase they try to rip me off by changing the clutch.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul"-clutch.jpg  

Abeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 19:53   #135
Team-BHP Support

Default Some tips on maintaining Honda City

My cousin Bhavya owns a Honda City(NHC), He wanted to share some tips on frequent niggles seen in NHC, Here are some solutions for niggling issues seen frequently. He wanted to share this with Team-BHP so i am posting this on his behalf. Got this through E-mail.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Honda City (NHC) April 2005 Model Mileage 141000 Kms. Serviced at Ring Road Honda Gurgaon All this while.

Over all long term ownership experience is more than satisfying over last about 6 years. There has been no problem save the following few, which the dealer and mechanics tell me are typical of the contemporary Honda City cars. And I am happy that I found the practical and inexpensive solutions for the same.
  1. Driver side window glass does not roll up completely / fully on Auto and will roll down in between. A typical problem during the rains. I am facing the same problem in my 2009 City as well. Solution is just lubricate the rubber channel in which the glass rolls and the problem will be solved. This is a temporary solution and unfortunalty only solution known to me.
  2. Engine Misfiring / Missing / Jerking / randomly while accelerating. This typically happens at about 1500 to 2500 RPM but have experienced this at higher RPM as well.
Solution is to
  • Replace the spark plugs
  • Replace the fuel filter
  • Clean the fuel tank

If you still feel the jerk while driving, most of the times the service advisor will recommend you to change the Ingnition Coils ( And each one cost 4000 Rs and there are 8 of them).

Before you change the coils, I strongly recommend that you get each of these coils decarbonised. This is a simple process where you open the Ignition Coil and from the neck and you will see a spring and it will have a diode attached to one corner. Just clean the ends with the sand paper, clean the coil with damp cloth and refit the coils back into the car. The problem will be solved.

1. Key / Lock / Lockset Problem. The keyhole on the driver side door or ignition jams quite regularly. In my 140000 Kms or running this is one consistent problem which has occurred regularly around 30-35000 KMs / per year. Honda will advise the key set to be changed and this will cost Rs 8000 - 10,000 besides the inconvenience. I replced my key sets twice (once in warranty and once outside). Though there are following solutions that worked for me.

a. Use the new key/ Spare key. With use, the key wears out and the edges of it become thin. Tahts why it is not able to move properly within the key hole and it causes the jamming. In desperation (some times) or frustration, we try to force open the lock and that damages the levers inside. Using the new key solve this problem and you the lock opens smoothly.

b. If this does not work, you could visit a local auto market (like Palika Market Opposite Bhikaiji Cama Place) and you will find some mechanic who will repair your lock. He will open the lock and repair the key levers. Will take about an hour or so and not more than Rs. 200. The lock works smoothly there after (for good one year for me before there was need to revisit the mechanic). No need to replace the key set.

A service advisor at Honda will never give you these maintenance tips. I learned these at my own expense and inconvenience.