Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th August 2005, 22:18   #1

Default skoda rs question

today one of my freinds with a lisence wanted to test drive and rs so we wend to jmd skoda in new bombay and he drove it while i was in the back seat and the salesman told him all the features and during the second half of the drive the salesman took the wheel and he showed us the features of this car. at one point he was talking about traffic jams and i notice him releasing the clutch without touching the accelerator and i was bracing myself for a sudden jerk and the engine would stop but to my surprise the car just creeped forward like and auto tranny does when not on the brakes and in drive. for me the hardest part of driving a car(never driven a manual trannyed car this is based on experience with motorcycles) is to get it rolling in first gear so i would stall the engine several times before moving so a feature like this really helps to get the car moving. how is this done can this be added to any other car.
chittibells2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 22:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

All the cars pretty much move in half clutch, ie. relese the clutch, not fully but 3/4th or so..
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 22:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

all cars roll in 1st and 2nd with neither the clutch nor the throttle applied dude ..
..if u gently release the clutch the car will roll in 1st or 2nd ..
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 23:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
..if u gently release the clutch the car will roll in 1st or 2nd ..
i didn't know this! never noticed it either ...
satan_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 23:04   #5

sorry i have no clue about manuals transmission cars thanks for enlightening me does this happen in all gears or just 1 and 2 like u mentioned because he said the car will go up to 1000rpm in all gears.
chittibells2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 23:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

1000rpm is the idling engine speed ..you will notice the car actually pulling a roll in 1st and 2nd ...higher gears its minimal hence not very noticable because they dont have enough power to pull at speed below 10kmph ..
Old 12th August 2005, 09:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
higher gears its minimal hence not very noticable because they dont have enough power to pull at speed below 10kmph ..
is that because of the gear ratios?
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2005, 10:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

yes ..all about the gear ratios..
higher gears deliver lesser power..because at those gears the car is already moviing he nce dont need as much force to drive the wheels..
Old 12th August 2005, 11:41   #9
BHPian

As per my experience i found it easier to move a diesel car than a petrol car without pressing the throttle, correct me if iam wrong. I found it easier to do so in Qualis.

Last edited by sridhar24 : 12th August 2005 at 11:42.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2005, 12:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well most european cars idle at a slightly higher rpm to allow for crawling at blockages on roads as Turbo lover said the higher idle rpm in the low gears (1 and 2) allows the car to inch forward without having to press the accelerator, the car does not generate enough torque on the higher gears to get the car to move forward.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2005, 13:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

The tutor at the driving class will never allow the learner to touch the accelerator pedal for 1st gear. That way I came to know about this. He has got a Santro for training.

But once you used to the driving, we don't have patience using this method.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2005, 14:47   #12
Team-BHP Support

Diesels have higher low end torque compared to petrol, so you will find zero throttle(idling speed) roll ons easier.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2005, 16:57   #13
BHPian

I never use gas padle in traffic jams when I am in first gear, I just mkae use of my clutch. But one has to be very careful while releasing the clutch, it should be very slow and steady.

My Car's rpm at idling remains between 500 to 1000. I am talking about Petra Petrol.

B
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2005, 18:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Diesels have higher low end torque compared to petrol, so you will find zero throttle(idling speed) roll ons easier.
Its all about synchronization and clutch 'feel'...I have rolled my Indica in all the gears except 5th on a perfectly flat road from standstill...Its possible..Even then I feel the low-end on the Indica is not as good as some of the newer engines...It may be due to gear ratios also...

Ananth
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2005, 18:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive
I never use gas padle in traffic jams when I am in first gear, I just mkae use of my clutch.
Where do you draw a line between excessive usage of the clutch and appropriate usage of the clutch?

Assume that you are the first guy at the red-light, and when the light turns green, you have two options - use the clutch for crawling, or use the accelator and release the clutch asap. In the latter case, don't you feel that the clutch would've been used a little sparingly??
satan_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote