Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st December 2009, 10:55   #1
BHPian

Default i10 Sportz - Rattle behind steering column & RPM increase

I have a five month old i10 Sportz that has clocked 2750km till date. A couple of months ago, I had to take it on some really rough roads on the Coorg-Wayanad border. Since then, I've been hearing a small rattling noise that comes from the instrument panel behind the steering column at low RPMs. It's like if I'm doing very low speeds in 2nd gear in traffic, I can hear the rattle. It is not present at RPMs above (approx) 1500. Has anyone faced a similar issue?

I took it to the showroom about a month ago and the service manager said something must have gotten loose in the column. He held the car for a day, said he fixed it, and I didn't feel the rattle immediately after that when I drove it. But it came back soon after and it has been the same ever since then. I wanted to get some opinion from the community before I take it in again for service.

Another issue I see is that when I'm standing still in traffic in 1st gear, if I depress the clutch, the RPM shoots up to 1500-1600(from the idle RPM of 800-900) for about 3-4 seconds and then settles back down to the idle RPM. I raised this issue also with the service person and he said he would tune the ECU and fix it. But again, same story. No change after that. I searched the forum and found some other people too have faced the same issue, but couldn't find any solutions. Any tips for this one too?

Thank you all!
subhashnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 11:53   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhashnm View Post
Since then, I've been hearing a small rattling noise that comes from the instrument panel behind the steering column at low RPMs.
Some links that you can refer that could possibly be related to the issue you are seeing

(i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/67428-i10-kappa-sportz-1-year-16k-kms-ownership-report-3.html#post1547816

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1593569 (i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1588158 (Rattling problem on the i20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhashnm View Post
Another issue I see is that when I'm standing still in traffic in 1st gear, if I depress the clutch, the RPM shoots up to 1500-1600(from the idle RPM of 800-900) for about 3-4 seconds and then settles back down to the idle RPM. I raised this issue also with the service person and he said he would tune the ECU and fix it. But again, same story. No change after that. I searched the forum and found some other people too have faced the same issue, but couldn't find any solutions. Any tips for this one too?
Thank you all!
I am not sure if its really a problem. You can again refer to

(i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/67428-i10-kappa-sportz-1-year-16k-kms-ownership-report.html#post1534796
svaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:02   #3
BHPian

Thank you svaid. Will check out the mentioned posts. Looks like quite a few are facing the same problem.
subhashnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 20:33   #4
BANNED

I also hear a rattle ( noice is like somewhat like the one you get when you place the head of screw driver on a vibrating plastic board ), It comes only during slow driving on rough roads. But really irritating.

@ subhashnm .. could you rectify this ?
krish-iitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 11:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish-iitm View Post
I also hear a rattle ( noice is like somewhat like the one you get when you place the head of screw driver on a vibrating plastic board ), It comes only during slow driving on rough roads. But really irritating.

@ subhashnm .. could you rectify this ?
Krish, even i am facing this. Will be going tomorrow to the service centre tosee if it can be solved. Svaid seems to have got it fixed. Do check with him.
iPai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 16:36   #6
BHPian

@ i-10 owners

I was also facing the steering noise problem. There is a solution available at the Service center and the noise is completely gone.
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 16:43   #7
BHPian

Mr.Ulhas, please let us know. as for me, the issue is now not consistent. Comes and goes. But it's still there. Got used to it.
Old 11th June 2010, 17:19   #8
BHPian

Default @ ipai

Quote:
Mr.Ulhas, please let us know. as for me, the issue is now not consistent. Comes and goes. But it's still there. Got used to it.
The service manager who is a good friend of mine, told me that there has been an official communication/resolution of this problem from Hyundai. If you need I will ask him precisely what's that he has done. As of now the noise is completely gone, I drove it on a pretty rough roads. Lets see if it re-appears...
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 16:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
The service manager who is a good friend of mine, told me that there has been an official communication/resolution of this problem from Hyundai. If you need I will ask him precisely what's that he has done. As of now the noise is completely gone, I drove it on a pretty rough roads. Lets see if it re-appears...
Ulhas, i request you to kindly get me all the information from your service manager!! Actually this is the only nagging issue in my car. Apart from that its a beauty you see