Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 9th December 2009, 17:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

but can this point be also the culprit?

Fiat recalls 500,000 Grande Punto vehicles

Fiat released its largest of three recalls for the Grande Punto, with 500,000 total vehicles affected. The recall involves a steering linkage that could potentially break the steering shaft.

Prior to the current recall, the most recent of the recalls had occurred in March 2008 and involved 44,000 left-hand-drive vehicles. These vehicles were said to have unspecified problems in the lower steering column if manufactured between March 2006, and September 2007.
The first of the recalls took place in November 2006, and affected the fewest number of vehicles with 21,000. The November 2006 recall involved a faulty steering column in the right-hand-drive vehicles sold in the United Kingdom.
The current recall affects 500,000 Fiat Grande Punto and Grande Punto Abarth models built in 2008 and 2009. A European consumer watchdog organization, RAPEX, has listed specific details for the latest recall, saying, “a possible incorrect tightening of the steering shaft upper joint fixing screw could lead to the breakage of the shaft, with consequent loss of steering control which could lead to an accident.”
Fiat says that no accident have been reported due to the problem.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
Suspension issue will result in camber going off, whcih should have been detected by the service center and which is why I suspect they have not done a proper job. Has your friend visited any independent wheel alignment/balancing shop ?
As far as I know, he is only visiting Fiat service station and nowhere else.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:38   #33

Wow! This is a scoop! Does this mean Fiat were not able to resolve the issue even after knowing it? Or they just didn't care?

Sachin, you could use this article to exchange your lemon for a brand new car.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:48   #34
BHPian

Well these incidents really tarnish the image of a otherwise good products.

My Uncle (Govt employee) who wanted to buy a hatchback was really keen on Punto.But his office mate who owns a Punto told him to look for some other options as his Punto was giving a FE of 12 which he considered low.

Today he called me & told he had zeroed on swift VXI,reason Being a complete novice in terms of cars he dint wanted to take any chance with FIAT,Indica Vista was his other choice.

Goes to show few members like us have access to reviews/reports available to decide upon any model what about the mass junta which constitutes the 95% of the sales pie? They just rely on the advice available from the near by mechanic,or the freinds who have almost nil knowledge of cars.If they come to know this kind of one off instance,will cite it for life time scaring away potential buyers.

On some other thread I read Fiat is planning to recall some 50000 vehicles due to steering problem.

Fiat ...Sigh
Old 9th December 2009, 18:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

While the steering linkage issue related recall is worrying, this particular problem (if any) is unrelated. It could be that the issue could be a very macroscopic, like a bend in the overall chassis. The washed tyres do not show the wear properly. The clearest way would be to wash the tyres, then drive on a dusty road and then take photos.
Old 9th December 2009, 18:10   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
but can this point be also the culprit?

Fiat recalls 500,000 Grande Punto vehicles

Yes it can, wear can also be the result from worn or loose inner tie rod sockets on rack and pinion steering gears or bent steering arms.
I think Sachin needs to check this too with FIAT.
Old 9th December 2009, 18:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

"this is due to the terrain" is the dumbest reason I have ever heard. Are there no hills in Italy?

And 5 days to service a car??
Old 9th December 2009, 19:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hope FIAT resolves this issue soon, else go to consumer court. Sad to hear your experience with a brand new car
Old 9th December 2009, 19:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Before he goes to the consumer court which would be a very long wait before anything could ever come out in our country, is there anything that can be done as a group. The whole idea of getting together on social forums has to be to solve issues together constructively. If its just about talking over the issue and giving everyones opinion we are defeating the whole purpose of a joint forum. Lets come up with ideas on how we can make FIAT understand that its not just about this particular person/car but about everyone out here who are interested in cars.

Lets not sit comfortably and opine about what he should do. Lets think of what we can do to help him in the process.

I dont mean that we all have to get out our houses and shout slogans. We could even sit in front of our computer (just like now) and sign off a Joint memorandum to FIAT. Common guys we can come up with "n" number of ideas to help him out. Probably a fiend of a friend who works with FIAT or a cousin of an uncle who is involved in the management. Lets stop passing judgements and opinions and give this poor chap who spent his hard earned money (on something that the person who made it does not know properly about) some help!
Old 9th December 2009, 20:28   #40
BHPian

From the OP's post, I get a very serious doubt about the dealer. There seems to have been no direct communication between the owner of the car and FIAT. Even the statement about "Terrain" was made by the dealer on behalf of FIAT. I find that very strange.

If we Team-BHPians - no offense to anyone, please - with limited knowledge of automobiles are able to diagnose the problem to camber / toe - in / suspension, just by the description and a few pictures, is it not realistic to expect a team of technicians, who do this for a living and have access to the car physically to be able to diagnose the same and not come up with an excuse of "Terrain"

I strongly suspect some foul play in the dealer's part. I understand the vehicle is new and the owner would prefer to go to an authorized A.S.S. I think the owner should take the car to another A.S.S. and get it checked. Also, it might help to get in touch with FIAT directly and not route communication through the dealership.

Just my 0.02

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 9th December 2009, 20:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

From what i understand the car was shipped to FIAT plant and still they are unable to solve the issue.
Old 9th December 2009, 20:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

A stupid suggestion...

Go to a good tyre shop with alignment machine. And get him to check the car. Then ask him the possible reasons/remedies.
Old 9th December 2009, 20:50   #43

pathetic!
is the only word i would use to describe what fiat is getting into in their second innings in india.
however, the suggestion of getting the car inspected by an individual tyre shop, or better still taking the opinion of the goodyear guys [OE setup] to actually diagnose the problem should be your step before the court meddle in the issue.
Old 9th December 2009, 20:50   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
From what i understand the car was shipped to FIAT plant and still they are unable to solve the issue.
That seems to be the understanding. However the lack of any direct communication between FIAT and the owner seems suspicious.

Rajan
Old 9th December 2009, 20:52   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
As per him FIAT didn't disclosed the details of works done on his vehicle.
Please ask him to get the alignment checked at an Independent tyre dealer who has high end equipment. And then maintain the alignment report as proof.

You will need such documentary evidence if you need to approach the consumer courts for resolution.
Closed Thread