Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 26th February 2010, 14:13   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
Come on MODs, let Sachin be given a login ID as its the best way to show him that we are with him in this battle. It would also help him save substantial amount of time by refraining from relaying his concerns and updates thru Pawan.
MODS allow Sachin to be part of this forum and lets get this thread moving faster with new updates from him.
Old 26th February 2010, 14:16   #122
Senior - BHPian

Ermm...Pardon my ignorance, but I looked hard at those pics and I didn't understand where is that uneven wear of treads? Or, is it not as pronounced in pictures as in real?
Old 26th February 2010, 14:17   #123
Senior - BHPian

Man with these types of road I can bet that other cars will run for min of 60-70k kms vefore they have to change the tyre and here FIAT is making a joke saying the topography is not good and it depends on road banking etc etc. By the way have they ever seen these roads or simple pulling it up. The way the reply was written we can directly say that these guys don't know even 20% of what their cars can do and its technology. Pathetic. That is the reason why people fear of FIAT IMO
Old 26th February 2010, 14:34   #124
Senior - BHPian

Has the driver of this car driven any other vehicle. Looks from Fiat's response, he is a weird driver ! Looks like even the roads do not have favourable opinion of Fiats.
Why do companies behave like this? Do they really behave that something else other than the car is responsible?
Old 26th February 2010, 15:37   #125
BHPian

So the fact is, its all luck game. If you get good Fiat vehicle, you are at the safer side and "company will reamin at your service, as always" as said by Anand. But if you are unlucky "company will away at your service, as always".
Old 26th February 2010, 16:00   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
So the fact is, its all luck game. If you get good Fiat vehicle, you are at the safer side and "company will reamin at your service, as always" as said by Anand. But if you are unlucky "company will away at your service, as always".
That's true of any car manufacturer in India. If you get a lemon chances are slim that the company will replace it.
Old 26th February 2010, 16:14   #127
BHPian

Based on Mr. Anand's reply Fiat should have a disclaimer on their cars which goes as such:

"Using this vehicle in excessively curved roads <some grade specification> is not advised as this might cause uneven wear on the tires" .

This theory seems to be doing some rounds. A alignment shop that I frequent here gave me a similar BS when I questioned them about excessive wear on one of my left tires. The owner told me that it is cos this tyre runs off the road more frequently than the other.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 26th February 2010, 16:17   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Ermm...Pardon my ignorance, but I looked hard at those pics and I didn't understand where is that uneven wear of treads? Or, is it not as pronounced in pictures as in real?
exactly my doubt, in the pictures it is not very evident.
did fiat not bear the cost of all tyre replacement?
as far as i can recall they also gave alloys free of cost

EDIT : Is it possible for Pawan or Sachin to post some better pictures of the problematic tyres?

Last edited by ms001 : 26th February 2010 at 16:18.
Old 26th February 2010, 16:27   #129
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Lavasa few times and let me reiterate, Lavasa road is one of the best roads I have driven around Pune. FIAT is giving a BS as the road is not good and blah blah blah. I guess the official letter should be held against FIAT for non worthiness of the vehicle.

Punto owners who drive on such winding roads can throw some light on such terrain driving in a Punto.
Old 26th February 2010, 16:28   #130
Senior - BHPian

The response from Fiat is appalling as per the history of this thread.

They should add a disclaimer to their car ""It is not recommended to use the vehicle on a curvy road. Usage at owners risk".

It seems Fiat is still the same.

Why is Sachin unable to login? Mods, please look at it to understand the progress.
Old 26th February 2010, 18:22   #131
BHPian

Not necessary related to just this thread.

In twisties we have our side of road sloping to left while the opp side slopes to right (of us). So, what if we drive the car in such a way that our car's left tyres are towards the left side of road (road sloping to left), while the right side of tyres cross over to opp side (road sloping to right). Can this result in uneven wear of tyre?
Old 26th February 2010, 18:51   #132
BHPian

Default Tyre Pics

Sachin's Reply

Here are some of the Pics of the tyres 8200 Kms done and the wear is clearly visible on the inner threads of the tyres w.r.t. to the outer side and also when compared to the rear tyres.

1. Front Left
2. Front Left
3. Front Right
4. Front Right
5. Rear Left
6. Rear Right
Attached Images

Old 26th February 2010, 19:25   #133
BHPian

Is FIAT kidding ??? The Lavasa road is one of the best roads in Pune....
Old 26th February 2010, 21:15   #134
BANNED

After following this thread for so many days, I searched today why tyers wear off on curvy roads. One of the example is here below

tires are killed by:
- driving habits... is your daily drive a 65mph highway commute, or do you have secondary roads withtwists/turns. heavy trucks eat tires on curvy roads. i run the canyon (46) every day.. 18 miles of twisties, and seldom get more than 10k miles out of tires on my truck.
- hardware problems.. rotation, alignment, worn steering parts, etc etc....
- LSD/locker. if you have the LSD in the back, you need to completely let off the gas when you go around turns.
when my commute was all highway, i averaged 40k miles on tires (i have a lead foot). same truck, same tires, aligned regularly etc, moving to the mountains and my tire average went down to 10k. i KNOW the reason, its all the way i drive, which is why i commute in a crappy commuter car, rather than a long, heavy, expensive, EMPTY, truck.

Chrispy
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Chrispy
Find More Posts by Chrispy
January 7th, 2010, 07:22 AM

I know he is talking for the truck but talking about the curvy roads.
Please don't just put your guns to me for posting this and please non Fiat owners please refrain.
I want every one to google why tyers wear off on curvy roads and come back.
Mods please excuse me and allow me to say what I want to say.

Last edited by jacksons : 26th February 2010 at 21:25.
Old 26th February 2010, 21:24   #135
BHPian

Nikhil if you reading this can post your observation about the pictures posted here? Or any one else who has good knowledge about tires
thanks
Closed Thread