Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 9th December 2009, 13:20   #1
BHPian

Thumbs down Grande Punto Problem. EDIT: Protest Pics on Pg 6. Update on Pg 14

On behalf of Sachin Thakkar - is the owner of Grande Punto facing problem since 1st week of onwership of Grande Punto

I purchased a Punto DI Emotion on 19-07-09. After driving for 8 days I felt a drag towards left and contacted the dealer on 26-07-09. I was told to go to the work shop. On 27-7 2009, my vehicle was test driven by the staff at the work shop & was told that there was no problems in it. At the time of 1st Free servicing on 10-8 2009 told the service advisor at the work shop about the same. I was told that there was no problem in the vehicle. After driving 5500 Kms in total I noticed that the tyres were completely weared & went to the Showroom on 26-8. On 31-8 2009 the vehicle was picked up from my home for repairs. On 4-9 the vehicle was returned with all 4 tyres been changed at no cost by the dealer & was told that the Engineers from FIAT have thoroughly inspected the vehicle & the fault is been rectified & they have test driven the vehicle. After driving 500 Kms I felt the problem still very much there, it was still dragging, I informed about this, they asked me to drive for another 1000–1500 Kms then come for inspection. Following the suggestion I drove the vehicle for 1800 Kms in total after the tyres changed, went for inspection on 21-9-09. The wheel alignment was thoroughly checked at 3 different location. They found it alright, so they said that as they have limited expertise in this case the vehicle needs to be sent to FIAT plant at Ranjangaon Pune.

On 1-10-09 I vehicle was sent to the FIAT Plant at Ranjangaon. I received my vehicle on 9-10-09 & was told that the problem is been taken care of. I was feeling the same drag even after the repair at the FIAT Plant, I informed about this on the very same day. I was told to drive the vehicle for 1000–1500 Kms, then it would be inspected. After driving about 1500 Kms I showed them the vehicle. They inspected the vehicle & found the problem still very much there. They said will contact the concerned person from FIAT regarding the problem I was asked to bring the vehicle for Inspection on 31-10-09. On 30-10-09 they called me and told me that the inspection is been reschedule to 3-11 2009, I hesitantly agreed for the same. On 3-11-09 I went for a meeting with Customer Care (?) team of FIAT. They inspected & test drove my vehicle for approx. 50 Kms found that as I was saying from the very start the vehicle was dragging towards left & also the tyres were weared much more than normal.

As requested by the staff of B U Bhandari, FIAT India and also Tata motors I had handed over the vehicle for necessary repairs to be made to rectify the above mentioned problem from the subject vehicle on 16th Nov 2009, received the subject vehicle on 5th Dec with a letter (attached along with) from the dealer B U Bhandari (dealer said that this letter is been given on behalf of FIAT, as mentioned by FIAT and the draft was sent by FIAT) which states - That the wear in the tyre is due to the terrain and specific road condition on which I use the vehicle daily, also it is mentioned that they have test driven the vehicle more than 1000 Kms on the road used by me on daily basis.

I would like to say that If the wear is due to the Terrain and specific road condition on which I use the vehicle daily, then is it so that the Vehicle is designed only to be used on Flat roads and not in the Hilly regions and Ghat road? I drive down to my work place daily and at my job location many of my colleagues drive in their own vehicles and also company vehicles travel on the same road. The type and number of vehicle that commute to the same location (my work place where I drive the said vehicle on daily basis as mentioned by FIAT and the dealer) is as under

a) Mahindra Scorpio – Daily Commuters more than 10 Nos
b) Mahindra Bolero – Daily Commuters more than 10 Nos
c) Maruti Vehicle (Swift, Alto, Zen, etc) – Daily Commuters more than 5 Nos
d) Maruti Vehicle (Swift, Alto, Zen, etc) – Commuters who travel 2- 3 times a week more than 5 Nos
e) Other vehicles like Mini Bus used for staff – Daily Commuters more than 15 Nos
f) Other Vehicle (LMV’s) – Daily commuters more than 10 Nos
g) Other vehicles (LMV’s) – Commuters who travel 2 – 3 times a week more than 10 Nos.

These vehicles does not show such an abnormal wear in the tyres as the subject Punto (My Vehicle) and also before I purchased the above vehicle I was using Maruti Zen for more than 6 months on the same roads which never had such a abnormal wear. The Road conditions on which I use the vehicle on daily basis is just excellent and this must be known to FIAT as they have test driven the vehicle on this road for more than 1000 Kms. If Fiat vehicles were designed to work and driven only on Flat roads same should have been mentioned in the advertisement made by FIAT and in that case I would have not at all purchased a FIAT vehicle.

I would like to bring to your notice that the problem of Tyre wear is still very much there, I have driven the vehicle for 800 Kms and the tyres are showing abnormal wear (wear pattern is the same as it was earlier- Inner side of the tyre wears).
Old 9th December 2009, 13:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have read his story on the other forum, the only option left for him is to approach the Consumer Court. Sachin Why you are hesitating to file a suit? Things will definitely change but you need to have the patience and courage.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think you should file a consumer court suit. Its not pretty, and its time consuming. But it will make the dealers take notice and try to put some more energy into solving this.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:45   #4
BHPian

Where in Pune does Sachin drive the car? I am not aware of any such bad terrain roads in Pune.

FIAT is planning for one more disaster by not accepting mistakes.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

You can try the consumer court but first try pushing around a little with emails to higher ups in Fiat. If none of it works, sell the car. This is one of those things where its easier to cut your losses and run.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:50   #6
BHPian

what does Fiat think, earning and spending 5-6 lacs in india is a child's job?

really bad on the part of a company to treat a customer like this. Such high handedness, by any company, should not be taken lightly.

file a consumer court case buddy.

this would shake the confidence of a lot of potential buyers.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

this is bad.

Could you please post some pics of wear?
Old 9th December 2009, 13:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

@ Sachin,

Its high time you reach the consumer court for this!

Btw, is it possible to post a few pics on the tire wear!?
Old 9th December 2009, 14:04   #9
BHPian

Since you state inner side wears out, it does seem to be a wheel alignment issue. Especially the camber. Also have the tyres been rotated anytime at all ?

Can you take this to an independent wheel alignment shop and ask to specifically check the camber ? Too much negative camber, meaning that the tyres are not perfectly vertical, when seen from top, but tilting inwards can cause this. Ideally you will need a slight negative camber but not too much.

Pictures will help.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
Since you state inner side wears out, it does seem to be a wheel alignment issue. Especially the camber. Also have the tyres been rotated anytime at all ?

Can you take this to an independent wheel alignment shop and ask to specifically check the camber ? Too much negative camber, meaning that the tyres are not perfectly vertical, when seen from top, but tilting inwards can cause this. Ideally you will need a slight negative camber but not too much.

Pictures will help.
+1

Pictures would really help here.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

1) If the car has already visited the so called FIAT PLANT, then I am sure that mailing is not going to help. I had earlier mentioned that emails are almost free glorified trash cans. And if you write to lets say CEO, then are you sure that actually CEO has checked your mail ?

2) From what I have calculated, you have given you vehicle for 4 times :
a) 31-08-2009 to 04-09-2009
b) 21-09-2009
c) 01-10-2009 09-10-2009 ( FIAT PLANT )
d) 03-11-2009 05-12-2009

No body buys vehicle for to give the car back 4 times so early.
And you visited the dealer a number of times.

3) Go straight to court. No other solution. Things are not going to improve and this thread once again proves that Tata does not have competency for solving Fiat car's issues. What really surprises me is that even after car was sent to FIAT PLANT, the problem is not solved. I wonder whether they actually worked on your car or not.

Sure a thumbs-down. Peace of mind is not assured. And what they have stated in letter leads me to believe that either there is no improvement in Fiat A.S & S. standards.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:11   #12
BHPian

I think the problem is with the suspension of the car's front left which will result in uneven wear in tiers and I am not sure why the are not able to resolve this issue.

Before going to court try to send mail to the CEO of FIAT and then approach the Court if no results.

Last edited by Sudan_NFS : 9th December 2009 at 14:13.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:14   #13
BHPian

OMG! This review suddenly shattered my dreams of buying a Punto for my wife!!
Old 9th December 2009, 14:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Here is pics he has posted. Taken it from yahoo group

Photos of Tyres after running around 800 odd Kms

Name:  Photo0016.jpg
Views: 8832
Size:  36.4 KBName:  Photo0017.jpg
Views: 8805
Size:  36.7 KB
Name:  Photo0019.jpg
Views: 8736
Size:  31.9 KBName:  Photo0020.jpg
Views: 8713
Size:  32.3 KB
Name:  Photo0021.jpg
Views: 8651
Size:  31.3 KBName:  Photo0022.jpg
Views: 8621
Size:  36.8 KB
Name:  Photo0023.jpg
Views: 8482
Size:  34.8 KBName:  Photo0025.jpg
Views: 8431
Size:  26.2 KB

Last edited by wildon : 9th December 2009 at 14:24. Reason: Pictures arranged
Old 9th December 2009, 14:24   #15
BHPian

I asked Sachin to send me the tyre's photograph. Once I receive it, I will upload it here.

@wildon has uploaded it.
Closed Thread