Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th December 2009, 10:20   #1
BHPian

Default Are these scratches removable?

Hi Team,

had a scratch on my last weeks trip to hyd , though didnt break my heart that much...could sleep the next night.

i checked with service guys, they said entire bumper needs to be painted to give good finish.

i checked with Xenos chennai mount rd. they said touch up can be done, will cost 400/-, but now i am skeptical about the finish.

Guidance please.

--Sri
Attached Thumbnails
Are these scratches removable?-pc110231.jpg  

Attached Images

srikanthpotluri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 10:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Trust me its hardly noticeable. Let it be.

If its really bothering, try to get hold of a really good painter who would be able to match and point only that portion. There are some good painters who can do the same. Else you have no option.

I am sure you are aware that red is one of the most expensive paints.

Answering your thread title, its a deep scratch and cannot be removed with polish.

Last edited by beejay : 11th December 2009 at 10:45. Reason: Answering>>>
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 10:44   #3
BHPian

hey bro no need to worry. it really can be done with a touch up and you wont find any difference . trust me I have had to do these so many times driving in a city like Mumbai, now i don't care if these things happen because i know i have a solution to it. would have helped you do this if you were in Mumbai
hvishwanathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 10:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
Hi Team,

had a scratch on my last weeks trip to hyd , though didnt break my heart that much...could sleep the next night.

i checked with service guys, they said entire bumper needs to be painted to give good finish.

i checked with Xenos chennai mount rd. they said touch up can be done, will cost 400/-, but now i am skeptical about the finish.

Guidance please.

--Sri
Hi Sri,

If you want it to look as good as new then yes you will need to have the entire bumper repainted which should not cost you more than 4k.

However, my personal suggestion is to get a brush touch up. You can do it yourself but it would be better to have it done at the showroom so that you get a matching colour. The showroom should do it for free & should not charge you even a rupee for it.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 10:53   #5
Team-BHP Support

You'll need a "fumigate" job to get rid of that. Minor affair in any professional body shop.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 10:59   #6
BHPian

Just a touch up will do the job .But i dont think a perfect finish can be achieved. It will be noticeable in close up .Check the com-paint site they have demo of touch up job.
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 11:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
However, my personal suggestion is to get a brush touch up. You can do it yourself but it would be better to have it done at the showroom so that you get a matching colour. The showroom should do it for free & should not charge you even a rupee for it.
Very optimistic Epic. Usually the showrooms charge you for even visiting them, unless its under warranty. And this will not be covered under warranty.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 11:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Recently my Alto went to MSM for a dent/repaint work on the rear left door, which cost Rs 3800 and was done under insurance. When I went to collect my car , I saw a thin, lengthy scratch on the driver's door which was not there earlier and got very hot under the collar. I expected them to do a touch-up, but they said it will show a difference and so repainted the entire panel free of cost.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 11:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

A touch-up job should take care of that. IMO the scratches are barely noticeable in the first two pics unless one has taken a look at the third pic. You are better off going in for a touch up job than getting the entire bumper painted. Remember, these are vulnerable areas and are always prone to such minor damages.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 11:36   #10
BHPian

^^ agree with that. Better off with a touch up job, as these areas are more prone to these kind of scratches(especially if you want to visit Hyderabad again ). Just give it couple of days, you don't really notice it.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 12:50   #11
BHPian

thank you all for providing tips and answers, i am only skeptical because whether the color will be available with the painter outside.

the dealer said they cant do touchup and if i insist it may look odd.

since i have seen xenos doing some good work i spoke to the painter, what he said is he will take me to some paint shop, he will do something and get the color code in to their machine and see if anything matches, and then add patti and brush it. will take 2 hours as per him.

i m worried if i do this, later will this show up oddly, else i can live with it, since i have atleast 2-3 trips to do in the next 2-3 months to hyd.
srikanthpotluri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 12:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

IMO just live with it. Irrespective of how much you wanna keep your car scratch free, people/vehicles around wouldn't let you do so. If you are really keen a professional paint job is what could bring it back to the old finish.
You might want to dig this thread loads of stuff regarding touch up paint tubes and its likes.

Dont forget to look up Com-Paint Touchup Spray Paint, aerosol spray paint, supplier of spray paint,spray, spray paint, touchup, touch-up, aerosol spray paint manufacturers, spray paint,Touchup, Touch-up Spray, Spray Bottle, aerosol spray paint manufacturer, com-paint manuf if you can get the right can.

Somebody had posted a DIY using the com paint in the same thread towards the end.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 13:23   #13
BHPian

I would let the scratch be there.
Though its a superstition, but its said that its always good omen for a vehicle to get a minor scratch.Protects itself from anything major which can happen to a vehicle.

Its like a black mark(kala teeka) which is applied to the beautiful girls in hindi movies so that all the evil forces are evaded

Alright before people burn me for witchcraft I better stop here
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 13:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

As the paint has been removed and the body part is visible , it needs either a touch up or repaint (cannot be removed by Scratch remover)

+1 to what Riju has said, better live with it for the time being. For other people on the road cannot see a scratchless car and will find every opportunity to give it a scratch. Anyway, its not much noticable. However there could be some chances of it catching a rust if left open for long.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 14:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would say live with it. It does not even seen with your eyes from a distance. Believe me, I was searching for the scratches in your 1st pic. After I saw, 3rd pic, then I noticed this. If you really want to get it done, it would be preferable to go in for local mechanic (body shop) and get a touch up. I did the same for my ikon (paprika red). they charged around Rs.50/- for touch up through out the body wherever touch up was required. But on plastic parts, the paint it did not stick properly. The touch up is possible only if you have a metallic surface.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote