Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th December 2009, 12:19   #1
BHPian

Default Poor rubber & plastic quality on ANHC :(

Hi Friends,

I wanted to share with you all and NHC owners & also request feedback about how many owners are facing the same quality issues,

New Honda city "S" was purchased in Dec 08 from Whitefield Honda, Bangalore, (initial batch) I thank the staff and customer relations manager who were extremely patient and understanding of the issues faced.

1. Rubber weatherstrips premature wear out and tearing :
As you can see in the attached pictures, there is an accelerated wear of the rubber strips on all 4 doors, LH & RH, FR & RR.

2. Fading and discoloration of mirror housing :
Please refer the files to understand the difference in the plastic quality and the discoloration.
I fear, in time the difference in the same would only increase.

My observations about the above,

- I have great respect for Honda quality, which is in a league by itself, comparable to the best. Having owned all the generations of the Honda city from the year 2000, this has come as a shock. Even my Honda Dio scooter, bought in the year 2002, is still performing well and no such issues with the plastics or rubber.

- Such issues with bought out parts like weatherstrips & mirror housing point to compromises in rubber mix & plastic grades by suppliers ?

- I have noticed the similar mirror housing discoloration & fading in older models based on my observations (at traffic lights, in parking spaces,etc)

- I have asked for replacement of the above defective parts at the earliest, and a joint inspection along with Honda officials.

Will keep you posted about the happenings, once i get a revert from Honda officials

Cheers !
(Dear Mods, i checked but could not find similar posts, hence have started a new thread)
Attached Thumbnails
Poor rubber & plastic quality on ANHC :(-dsc00361.jpg  

Poor rubber & plastic quality on ANHC :(-dsc00362.jpg  

Poor rubber & plastic quality on ANHC :(-dsc00363.jpg  

Poor rubber & plastic quality on ANHC :(-dsc00364.jpg  

Poor rubber & plastic quality on ANHC :(-dsc00366.jpg  

Poor rubber & plastic quality on ANHC :(-dsc00367.jpg  

Poor rubber & plastic quality on ANHC :(-dsc00368.jpg  

nirmaljusdoit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 12:34   #2
BHPian

@Nirmaljusdoit. This is just FYI.

In Oct or Nov issue of OverDrive, I remember them complaining about some plastic parts coming off from the hatch door of their fleet car; a Honda Jazz.

But I am strictly not commenting on this because I dont have first hand experience nor do I know people who have problems with it.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 12th December 2009 at 12:36.
DieselAddikt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 12:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you looked at the Owners Testdrive section these are the things Owners disliked in ANHC

Cheap interior part quality
Sparse equipment list
Lacks the quality of outgoing generation
Below average customer support
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 10:09   #4
BHPian

Honda has been facing more and more problems of late.

Does anyone remember their withdrawl from F1 on money issues ? You can see it in their road going cars now too. :(
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 10:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is really bad. Do you think this is something seen only on your car? Honda should replace the bad parts for free.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 12:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Nirmal,
My 2007 civic rubbers seems fine.
Don't know about ANHC, Is it only seen in your car? did you chance to look at other cars when you are in service centre?

Hope these things would be changed under warranty for you.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 22:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

The gaskets seem to be of VERY bad quality...

I think the batch of the gaskets must have been defective.
AbhiJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 23:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Just subscribed to this thread. I wonder what the resolution / conclusion will be.

All the best nirmaljusdoit.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 23:34   #9
Team-BHP Support

It may not be only your car but most of new Honda Citys. Somebody in my office bought this car (top end) almost a year ago. Very first look told me Honda has really gone down as far as quality of material is concern.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 09:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
The gaskets seem to be of VERY bad quality...

I think the batch of the gaskets must have been defective.
I tend to think so. I bought my car in Feb 09 but haven't faced anything like this. Buty looks like very poor quality check by Honda.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 09:53   #11
BHPian

I would also advice on checking what car wash product or substance is being used on your car .
Based on the pictures , it seems like the external plastic and the water runs going through the door sills are affecting the plastic and rubber parts .

I'm only analyzing and coming up with possible reasons. This may not be the case but who knows the cause if this is a one off.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 10:01   #12
BHPian

That's really pathetic quality for a car such as Honda city. It should be more from one of those suppliers who didn't follow the stringent quality measures. But otherwise, Honda guys must have checked this as well. Or it could be of a particular batch as well. Waitiing to see if there is some recall from honda to fix this.
@Nirmal, would be interesting to see how Honda responds, do keep us posted.
Laxminarayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 09:44   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Absolutely shocking and a disgrace to Honda. After all, customers pay the 1.5 lakh rupee premium on the car for quality. And then this?

I do know that the initial batches of ANHC's were affected with poor plastic / rubber quality, which Honda acknowledged and rectified later. Irrespective, such a glaring lapse in quality is inexplicable. Our reviews also indicate that the interior quality of the ANHC is not in the league of the NHC. For the record, my '03 OHC still has all of its original plastic & rubber parts intact. Honda better realise that it is able to charge higher prices only because of a superior product, but such instances will do their bit in tarnishing their reputation.

@ Nirmal : Do what needs to be done and get all inferior parts replaced. Send an email containing a link to this thread to all Honda & dealer personnel.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 09:49   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ Nirmal : Do what needs to be done and get all inferior parts replaced. Send an email containing a link to this thread to all Honda & dealer personnel.
Yes Nirmal Just do it. (Sorry couldn't resist that one)

My Lancer is also running on it's original rubber beadings after 10years.

Pretty surprising that too in bangalore weather. I could have attributed the wear to very harsh weather but in Bangalore no chance.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 11:54   #15
Team-BHP Support

Man this is shocking, even i have noticed the new cities mirror cladding getting dull. Thought it was some polish thing that went wrong, guess am wrong. But those rubber parts!! Absolutely not ok!!

I think you need to escalate and get a free replacement of all the rubber beadings.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote