Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 12th December 2009, 20:58   #1
BHPian

Default Verna CRDI Engine Oil Changed - Dipstick still comes out black

Well you may have to bear with me for this one. Here goes:

My Verna CRDI went for its 1st service at 1500 kms last week. Although Hyundai recommends the first oil change after 10,000 kms or 6 months, I asked my dealer, Ketan Hyundai, to change the oil in the 1st service, as the oil looked quite black to me within the first month, upon inspecting the dipstick.

The service advisor at Ketan Hyundai told me that they first drain the old oil, then flush the engine with some flushing oil and then pour in the new oil, along with changing the oil filter. I agreed to pay for all that and I was charged for the Flushing Oil, Oil Filter and the new Engine Oil. The car came back quite smooth and satisfactory from the 1st service.

Now as per my habit, I decided to check the level of the oil this morning. The car has run about 300 kms after the 1st service. When I removed the dipstick, I was shocked to see the oil black. Mind you, the oil is still transparent, and viscous too, but I was expecting it to come out red. I could not believe that the oil would turn black in just 300 kms of running. I suspected that the dealer may not have changed the oil, and therefore the oil filter as well. Which means that no flushing oil was used, and I was given an invoice for work which was not done at all!

I took the car to Ketan Hyundai in the afternoon and took up the matter with the workshop manager. After listening to me, he assured me that the oil was indeed changed. He tried to explain to me that in diesel engines, the oil would change colour just after 100 kms of running. Now this is my first experience with a Diesel car, and I had a hard time believing that the oil could go black (although still very transparent and viscous) after such a short run. He also showed me the color of the oil in a ready-for-delivery Verna which was at the showroom, and the oil was blackish too in that car.

Is it true that the oil turns black so soon in diesel engines? Even after the engine was flushed, what causes the oil to turn black so soon? Should I change the oil more often (every 5000 kms) instead of the recommended 10,000 kms by Hyundai. I can post a pic of the dipstick tomorrow if that will help. Please advise.
Old 12th December 2009, 21:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Your Workshop Manager is correct.

Go enjoy your Silver Rocket !
Old 12th December 2009, 21:20   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the quick response jkdas. Really? Any reason why the oil turns black immediately in diesels? The engine oil in my Zen is still red after 2000 kms since the last oil change.
Old 12th December 2009, 21:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
Thanks for the quick response jkdas. Really? Any reason why the oil turns black immediately in diesels? The engine oil in my Zen is still red after 2000 kms since the last oil change.
Because one is a diesel and the other is a petrol.
Exactly why they use different engine oils.
Also, why API specifies two different standards for these fuels.
Old 13th December 2009, 01:02   #5
aZa
Senior - BHPian

yep yep same on my Getz cRDI, after the first oil change the oil was black very soon. Its all good enjoy your car
Old 13th December 2009, 02:35   #6
BHPian

Diesel engine usual turns engine oil black in no time. This is because it pump soot into the oil. Its totally normal, and as long as the oil is of good quality, not to worry about it.
Old 13th December 2009, 05:23   #7
BHPian

You are right. Oil turns black very fast in a diesel engine . There is nothing to worry about.
Old 13th December 2009, 08:42   #8
Team-BHP Support

Its all normal for diesels.

Closing thread now. Please PM the mod team in case it needs to be reopened for any new developments.
Closed Thread