Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st December 2009, 16:26   #1
BHPian

Default Maruti Suzuki SX4 silencer problem

Due to heavy rain my silencer got small 2-3 holes and rust is formed and the water comes from this hole instead form the exhaust. The dealer told to use it for some time and change it later which costs around 5K. I believe it is not covered under warranty since it is due to corrosion.

I thought of welding that part through one of the known mechanic, but he told that it will create problem and it will make that hole bigger and asked to change the entire set.

What are the other options to fix this ?
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 16:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

I had the same problem in my Accent,and it gets corroded due to condensation.
In case you do not want to get muffler replaced,you can get it welded,after removing it.
i got it done on my car,and its working perfectly fine.
though i had to pay around 700-800 bucks for welding and painting
later on came to know that Muffler costs 1.XX bucks at A.S.S
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 17:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

I really dont know of the after market cost of the silencer but yes Akshay is right that you can weld an additional piece of metal to cover the holes for the time being will cost 500 - 800 Rs.

Make sure that you get a coat of anti rust post that.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:02   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the comments, I will do the welding stuff.

I planned to do anti-rust coating but the service people say that they will not coat the silencer area, so I thought there is no point in doing anti-rust coating.
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:14   #5
BHPian

Gopi, If your car is under warrenty you can see if its because of a manufacturing defect that causes silencers to rust. It might be because of a bad seam weld or the kind of metal used in the manufacturing process. I remember a scenario when Ford India did a replacement of the door panels in Ikon because it was getting rust within 1 year. It would be good if you an check with fellow sx4 owners to see if they are having this issue.

If this cannot be put on the manufaturer then i beleive welding would be the best option than a repalcement.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 18:43   #6
BHPian

Since that part of silencer is made of some zinc alloy it cannot be welded. If you do, it will come off after sometime making bigger hole as told by your mechanic. Same problem in my esteem too and what I do is put mseal there. It works good for few months and come off only when the silencer touches anything like speed breakers, stones etc.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:19   #7
Team-BHP Support

I think you can patch it up with a specialized welder, but careful or you will land up with even mor hreadache After this as Psycho mentioned do a rust protection and ensure its heat resistant. This will give you another year or so.

Straight forward thing to do is run it as it is and then replace when its corroded off.

While replacing try getting a stainless steel box if possible, otherwise do a proper rust protection before fitting it. These OE boxes are notorious for rusting up early.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Due to heavy rain my silencer got small 2-3 holes and rust is formed and the water comes from this hole instead form the exhaust. The dealer told to use it for some time and change it later which costs around 5K. I believe it is not covered under warranty since it is due to corrosion.

I thought of welding that part through one of the known mechanic, but he told that it will create problem and it will make that hole bigger and asked to change the entire set.

What are the other options to fix this ?
Do NOT go for welding. It will call 5-600 bucks and will fail soon enough because if your silencer is corroded, some other place will give in and you will have to patch that again and so on. It just doesnt work. I have tried and learnt it the hard way. Welding cost me Rs. 500.
Just go in for an aftermarket silencer. It will cost you around Rs. 1500 for the part and may be Rs. 100 for fitting it. But it is absolutely worth it.
The price is for the back part, where i suspect the hole is. If you go to the A.S.S., the part may cost you 5k as you mentioned.
harsha.cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 16:46   #9
BHPian

First I will try to push the Maruti dealer to go for replacement using warranty. Otherwise I can try Mseal instead of welding as suggested by Tbhpian.
Old 8th May 2015, 06:45   #10
BHPian

Default Re: SX4 silence and AC comoressor problem

Again I got a rattling noise is silencer and AC compressor. MSM is saying the charges to change silencer is 8000 and AC compressor is 30000. I am trying to check with a local mechanic and see what they say, any suggestions on this.
Old 8th May 2015, 14:46   #11
BHPian

Default Re: SX4 silencer problem

Just try getting a used one at a breaker's yard or source from an independent auto spares shop which will give you OEM part. I'm not sure if you'll find just the muffler but you could try.
dumdum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 21:06   #12
BHPian

Thanks, main issue is the AC compressor, the local mechanic says he can try changing the bearing which would be 5000, but is that a risk
Old 9th May 2015, 22:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 silencer problem

For that kind of money you can get a refurbished compressor from the OE vendor. This process is facilitated by all Suzuki service centres and especially by MSM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Thanks, main issue is the AC compressor, the local mechanic says he can try changing the bearing which would be 5000, but is that a risk
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 08:50   #14
BHPian

Let me check with them, the amount was quoted by MSM advisor, compressor, 20k labour charges 10k. He didnt give this option, says we will replace only new ones. He suggested not to replace certain parts as this will lead to engine overheating. During the service I was charged for cabin air filter but it was in the dashboard without fitting, recently I see the quality is being reduced by MSM.