Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th August 2005, 12:10   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
You might have to upgrade your car. Since brakes are the most important thing for safey. Try considering Maruti Baleno, it doesnt have ABS. A lot of people in this forum are complaining ABS is failing. ABS doesnt suite Indian dusty conditions. Baleno is the most recommended car in this forum.
The Baleno strikes again!! Dude aseem what makes you think or rather claim that baleno is 'most recommended car' around here?Please give your own opinion that you recommend Baleno rather than drags all other members into your opinion.

@amitverma- Dude i am sorry but i threw the box out, but i remember it was the product was called 'Tungsten FirePower' dont quite remember the companys name.

@Cheatingdeath.... Why dont u ask your mechanic to fit another better set of brakepads for you just to take a trail so that you know for yours self if the pads you have are faulty or not.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2005, 14:25   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
Cheating death - You say that you feel that the brakes are not powered, and yet in another instant, you say that youy have had two power brake failures??

Which one is it. I guess the former
ps ...Assem- You claim to be giving honest and sincere advice to the members here when they present problems, But seriously dude, get real. When someone says they have a problem, for gods sake stop telling them to change cars!
The Baleno is not free of faults by any gauge, I should know , I own one. Yes, its a good car et all, But does not mean its perfect, Its a great package at its price, and delivers great perfromance, But i dont hear anyone telling me to change my car when complain of front suspension sound, they tried to provide a solution for it.
Get with the plot.
for the first part, i think you didnt understand it properly...
cheatingdeath was trying to telll that he has had 2 "instances" of having the feeling that the brakes are not powered anymore. he didnt have 2 brake failures...
may be you theory of the explanation may be right, but i dont think cheatingdeath[man i need to knw ur real name ] could be so wrong abt his instint. u know when the brake pedal kicks in or out....right? for instance, when u switch of the a/c and u have ur foot on the brake pedal, it slightly presses in. thats the power brake feature at work!

for the aseem part, bravo for the words. couldnt have said it better.
aseem we all request you to not take our words in a wrong way. but we all love our cars here. we care for them and we are not in anyway, interested to go in for a baleno[btw me, i'll def go for it when i have abt 6 lacs or so....no...i'll get a used skoda.... ]
amitverma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2005, 15:22   #18
BHPian

exactly amitverma you got it right ... well you can call me CD on the forum and when we meet up you could call me by my real name........now when the ac is switched on and all its simply working like perfect .... what happens is only when i drive at high speeds for a long time say continously at 140km/hr for say 700-800 metres... and after slowing down when i release my brakes and reengage i realise that power brake is dead ... and usually i stop at the side and turn the enigine off and then crank the engine back to life and check ..... et volia everything goes back to normal .... i personally feel theres a problem with the oil supply ......... may be the bedding thing could be a possibility ....or it could be bumpy indian roads........

i have lost my patience on figuring out a solution for this problem but its not actually affecting my normal driving so alls well....

yes sahil ill try that ... i ll ask him for a temporary replacement

@revhead: thanks fer your reply ... i am not having some illusion about a brake problem here LOL..........THIS FER REAL

yes revhead ... i guess i am braking quite right and the braking pressure seems fine too... my cars mileage is 72k kms ... so if my braking is incorrect ,..... then i should have encountered this problem way back... but i am experincing this problem days after a brake pad change... so this a recent problem..... and not a defect in my driving style

Last edited by cheatingdeath : 28th August 2005 at 15:25.
cheatingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2005, 15:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma

@aseem: hey dude dont take this the wrong way, but can u close down your Maruti Baleno showroom around here in t-bhp. every little thread, u are advising everyone around to get a baleno...even if they are a merc owner or an accent owner. no offence meant! take it lightly with a hajmola....

hahah this is just too funny ya !!

one more thread taken over by the baleno salesman !!!

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2005, 20:31   #20
BHPian

hey Cd,
Yeah, ididnt mean, like you have an illusion, more like an optical or sensory illusion.

yeah, Basically i was asking if this is an intermittent problem, or as you describe it more clearly now, a type of temporary failure/malfunction of some sort

Did not mean to cast aspersions on your driving style in the least,
was simply relating to experiences with friends and self about braking from high speeds
and how it may affect the car.

ps- another suggestion/question. When you re-engage the brake for the second time is your foot on the clutch or off it. In my car i have noticed that the effectiveness of the brakes are significantly reduced when the clutch is depressed.

Since you have mentioned that you have slowed down and were re-engaging the brake, i was considering the chance that you may have the clutch in to change down gears when you also re-applied the brake and felt the lossof braking effectiveness.
was thinking of this as a possibility as the problem seems very intermittent and goes away when you re-start, so may be connected to this.

Coz i got a bit of a surprise once, when i had the clutch in and had pressed the brake, due to someone popping up in fromt of me just as i was changing gears.

Like i said, no aspersions on yr driving style, just trying to figure out the problem, since it seems such an odd one, coz ususally when brakes give trouble, they tend to continue doing so and rarely fix themselves back to perfect- from too much experience of driving amby's!!!

Hope you find a solution for this soon.
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2005, 00:52   #21
BHPian

yaa revhead ... dont worry everytinh was taken in a positive way here ... it was really nice that you actually thought so deep.. to figure this out.. thanks a tonne buddy....

well i have tried checking this with the clutch pressed and clutch not pressed ... both the cases i have been unlucky ........... ya as you said they rarely heal themselves .. wel i am hoping for the best ...i will keep youll updated

thanks
Old 29th August 2005, 21:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
In my car i have noticed that the effectiveness of the brakes are significantly reduced when the clutch is depressed.
WTF??? Can someone explain this? Can't imagine how this would happen, but maybe I'm missing something...
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2005, 10:15   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
WTF??? Can someone explain this? Can't imagine how this would happen, but maybe I'm missing something...
You are losing engine braking in such a situation. So maybe that's what he means.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2005, 21:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:

My guess on that is this-

These are pover assisted brakes, and you have to have the engine runnoing for the power brakes to work

Possibly when the clutch is in, then the brake servon or whatever it is, that is providing the vacuum assist is lso maybe disengaged along with the clutch, resulting in reduced braking force.
(similar to running w/out the engine
Old 30th August 2005, 21:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nope. Servo for brakes and steering works with engine, not the gearing. So if the clutch is depressed, it'll still function. Can't be that...
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 09:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Let the brakes bed in a bit...i think its 300kms for city driving and 1500kms for highway driving. So dont punish them untill the said period of kms is over.
But you need to get that system checked....theres something wrong with the servo.
Its highly unusual for the brakes to loose pressure like that when driving. Get it checked ASAP.

How many kms has your car covered? If its on the higher side and your car hasnt had a major brake job apart from the routine pad changes then i would suspect the master cylinder...generally that tends to wear out. Another thing to watch out would be....

was your brake fluid changed on this service? if its not been done properly...there could be air trapped in the system. In that case...you'l have to bleed the system completely and refill. This is dangerous as air in the system can cause your brakes to fail just when you might need them most. So get them checked now!

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 31st August 2005 at 09:03.
drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 10:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Nope. Servo for brakes and steering works with engine, not the gearing. So if the clutch is depressed, it'll still function. Can't be that...
Now i need and explanation for the decreased braking efficiency!!!
Coz i'm quite sure it happns, will run a nother checkon it though
Old 31st August 2005, 21:28   #28
BHPian

exactly drifter i think there some air problem.... i suspected it too my car has done 72k+ km
Old 31st August 2005, 21:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

72k is quite a bit...get the whole system thoroughly checked.

Drifter
drifter is online now   Reply With Quote