Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th August 2005, 21:33   #1
BHPian

Default brake problem

i got my brake pad changed around 15days back

now i have experienced a problem though only twice after the change

the other day i was doin a constant 150 on my way back .... and when i was slowing down the brake worked fine till i reached around 60 .... but after that i felt that the brakes were not powered .. i felt the brakes more like my 800 brakes(no i wasnt drunk) ...i rechecked the feel and felt the same ... then i immidieatly stopped the car and switched off the engine and restarted the car when i do that usually the brakes slide in a little but i din feel that ... i continued on and things got back to normal.... i feel that this guy who changed the brake pads has messed up my brake setting and even the abs i am not confident if it il work when required .... i am plannin to do some tests to check .... but people i need your help in figuring out wad the problem could be.... really worried because its the brakes .....
cheatingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2005, 17:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I changed the brake pads of my accord a few 2000Kms back but I wasnt getting the same braking that I did prevously... so I sent the car back to my garage and he did the disc skimming for me to improve braking as I changed my pads late so the disc was eaten a little bit. The braking did improve but not quite as I expected.
Since i wasnt here for the past few months the car was not used much, recently i called him back and told him I feel a little unsafe with these brakes so he called me back to his workshop and changed my brakepads to new ones which he got for me from australia... he said that they were picked up from a performance shop and he had enquired that these were the best for my car.....After this the braking is even better than when the car was new! The ones he had fitted for me before were japanese ones but they werent half as good as the australian ones.
So to make a logn story short...the quality of your brake pads are not good enough! Demand better ones and you will see a remakable diff i am sure.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2005, 18:03   #3
BHPian

BTW cheatingdeath which car are you driving?
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2005, 21:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

You might have to upgrade your car. Since brakes are the most important thing for safey. Try considering Maruti Baleno, it doesnt have ABS. A lot of people in this forum are complaining ABS is failing. ABS doesnt suite Indian dusty conditions. Baleno is the most recommended car in this forum.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2005, 21:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

ABS works fine in dusty conditions. Not of much use in snow or slush.

Cheatingdeath...what car is this?
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2005, 21:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24
BTW cheatingdeath which car are you driving?
i drive a accent tornado

aseem i definately dont feel the need to change my car ... i love it to the core.... considering the fact that my brakes did a mind bogglling 72k kms ....... i am getting it checked the guy asked me to get my car fer check up.....but i have personally checked the brakes by braking hard and checking the abs.... the abs is working fine .... but i observed that the car lost it power brake feel just 2 kms after i slowed down from 150km/hr to 60

i feel that theres some problem with the brake oil supply

i will keep youll updated

and sahil ill keep the brake pad replacement option open

Last edited by cheatingdeath : 27th August 2005 at 21:45.
Old 27th August 2005, 22:23   #7
BHPian

@cheatingdeath: u know u should really complete this process as quickly as possible. brakes are the most important aspect of safety in the car. since u have mentioned that only the power brake feel has been missing, i am assuming that u can still brake effectively but a little less efficiently. i wanted to ask u if the abs in the car actually helps in increasing the threshold of braking applied or does it 'just' prevents them from locking up at a sudden braking. will appreciate a reply.

@sahil: can u pls mention the brand name of the brake pads that ur garage got shipped from australia. may be i will look out if the same firm has an option for my car too.

@aseem: hey dude dont take this the wrong way, but can u close down your Maruti Baleno showroom around here in t-bhp. every little thread, u are advising everyone around to get a baleno...even if they are a merc owner or an accent owner. no offence meant! take it lightly with a hajmola....
amitverma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2005, 22:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatingdeath
i drive a accent tornado

aseem i definately dont feel the need to change my car ... i love it to the core.... considering the fact that my brakes did a mind bogglling 72k kms ....... i am getting it checked the guy asked me to get my car fer check up.....but i have personally checked the brakes by braking hard and checking the abs.... the abs is working fine .... but i observed that the car lost it power brake feel just 2 kms after i slowed down from 150km/hr to 60

i feel that theres some problem with the brake oil supply

i will keep youll updated

and sahil ill keep the brake pad replacement option open

hi cHEATINGDEATH,

Nothing wrong with your brakes. Waht did u expect when u slow down from 150 to 60. The breakes got heated up. The normal stock brakes are not supposed to handle this kind of performance. Did u know that brakes for F1 racing are made from carbon fibre for exactly same reason and still sometimes catch fire under sever braking.

So do yourself a favour if u brake regulary from 150 to 60 get yourself a better professional; braking kit. Or do all of us favour and don't drive at such high speeds regulary.
pranil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2005, 22:48   #9
BHPian

hey amit well said

Thnks a lot for your concern ... yes i can still brake effectively.. and i have experienced the power brake failure only twice now but i dont wanna take a chance ..
as far as the abs is concerned ... it has helped a plenty
what happens with the abs is that ....when you suddenly apply the brakes ... it prevents the wheels from locking up ... to be precise when you brake hard the brake pad where your foot is starts giving you jerks it actually pushes your foot releasing the pressure (this happens in quick succesion)... and the rule is not to freak out but keep the same pressure applied on to it and the car doesnt lock up

one more thing i observed is that due to the abs the braking distance increases a littlle in normal braking conditions ... my take on it is that abs is very much essential.. and should be standard in all cars..
Old 27th August 2005, 22:57   #10
BHPian

pranil -i am not a regular at high speeds ... i think you got it all wrong and now to explain i am not braking severly to slow down from 150-60 km/hr ... the problem is when i reach a speed below sixty the power brakes fail so the problem is not at high speeds but at low speeds ....

what i am trying to avoid is that when i am at high speeds i dont want a power brake failure... this is just a precautionary step .. nor am i speeding to test the braking performance of my car
so get over it
Old 28th August 2005, 02:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Pranil, I'm not sure if you and cheatingdeath are on the same track here. If the brakes were to overheat, the pedal would go down all the way and still not provide sufficient retardation. CD is saying that his brakes work well, but lose that power boost. In other words, they act like M800 brakes.

CD, maybe you should get the servo mechanism for the brakes checked.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2005, 03:44   #12
BHPian

there it is...i was thinking abt it but couldnt remember the exact word. Servo mechanism, absolutely. thanks v1p3r.
amitverma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2005, 08:23   #13
BHPian

Default Servo mechanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma
there it is...i was thinking abt it but couldnt remember the exact word. Servo mechanism, absolutely. thanks v1p3r.

Brake servo is designed such a way that it is not directly related to vehicle speed or engine speed for that matter. So this is the most unlikely cause.

But Do get it checked for Air in t he pipeline . Last service the bleeding may not have been correctly done.

I assume you are not gettinng ther ABS or brake light intermittantly.
pranil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2005, 09:59   #14
Team-BHP Support

All

Your brakes are not bedded in. You need to take it easy for a couple of hundred km till the mating surfaces of the pads and the discs bed in. Remember the disc pads are as smooth as a babies bum when you got them. Any disc will have small ridges which will bear the brunt of the braking force hence need to get engraved into the pad. Only way around this is too be haevy on your brakes till they bite properly.

F1/ rally guys use pre-bedded disc/pad set up - cars are run on new brakes and bedded in prior to the event
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2005, 11:19   #15
BHPian

Cheating death - You say that you feel that the brakes are not powered, and yet in another instant, you say that youy have had two power brake failures??

Which one is it. I guess the former

Well, when you are braking down from 150, the initial drop you feel is quite high, also at that spped under normal circumstances one tends to brake lightly and not stomp on the brake.
1. Because you are dropping from a high speed, the initial sensation of a decceleration is pronounced.
2. Also the brakes tend to heat up a liitle and lose a slight amount of performance
3. You foot is not as hard on the pedal as it would be for a lower speed, and one tends to keep the same pressure throughout the speed drop, that coupled with the slight drop in performance of the brakes to do heating , Plus the reduced sensation of decelleration
is making you feel that your brakes are fading (which they do slightly)- to correct this, increse the pressure on the pedal as you slow down.

I'm not going to give you Gyaan on speeds, esp since i'm not reknowned for slow cuisin' but here is a tip that may help

4. The speed from which you are braking down, is not yr regular driving/cruising speed. One is not used to such sppeds, nor able to gauge the correct braking distance at these speeds
I have seen a few of my friends overshoot turn off points on the highway, or suddenly reasile that they havent slowed enough for the toll booth and have to slam the brakes, as they have not factored in the much greater distances that it takes to stop from these spped.
I too have once been guilty of this on my first drive on the xpressway where i approaced the toll both too quick.
What i mow do is ease of the throtlle, the moment i come to the the 1KM marker and then brake down at the 500m marker from a speed of 70/80 as opposed to jumping on the brake at the 500m marker from 140 clicks

Unless its a brake failure, i figure this is more the cause than anything else.

ps ...Assem- You claim to be giving honest and sincere advice to the members here when they present problems, But seriously dude, get real. When someone says they have a problem, for gods sake stop telling them to change cars!
The Baleno is not free of faults by any gauge, I should know , I own one. Yes, its a good car et all, But does not mean its perfect, Its a great package at its price, and delivers great perfromance, But i dont hear anyone telling me to change my car when complain of front suspension sound, they tried to provide a solution for it.
Get with the plot.

Last edited by Revvhead : 28th August 2005 at 11:24.
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote