Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th December 2009, 18:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Alto's engine oil filter mounting came off!

Here is what I posted in the synthetic Vs mineral thread, but this will be the more appropriate forum:

"I have just completed the second service for my Alto today at MSM(more about that in the ownership thread soon). Even though it was not mandatory, I got the engine oil and filter changed. I took Helix HX5 with me, and told them to supply the oil filter. My doubt is as follows:

When the mechanic removed the old oil filter, some kind of protrusion about the size of index finger also came off from the base of the engine. I suppose this is the oil intake / mounting on which the oil filter is mounted. I saw the mechanic screwing this part back on to the engine base with his fingers but I don't remember seeing him tightening it with a wrench. Then he mounted the new oil filter and tightened it as far as possible with his fingers. And I clearly remember him tightening it with a wrench after this. Then the new oil was filled and the service was completed.

While waiting at the lounge for the delivery it occurred to me that I could not remember if he had tightened the part back to the engine with a wrench after tightening with his fingers. I went back inside and spoke to the mechanic and he said he had of course fully tightened it with a wrench. When I mentioned this later to the SA, he said the mechanic would have automatically done it by habit. And even if he did not, finally tightening the filter with a wrench will automatically tighten this part as well. He further said it will be an issue only if any leakage occurs from the filter, in which case it will have to be removed and re-mounted once again, and otherwise we can forget about it."
Unquote.

I would be most grateful if someone can tell me if it is normal for this part to come off and be screwed back, or they have broken it while removing the oil filter.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 18:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hmm when you remove the filter only the filter should come , why should the other part also come ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 21:31   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
When the mechanic removed the old oil filter, some kind of protrusion about the size of index finger also came off from the base of the engine. I suppose this is the oil intake / mounting on which the oil filter is mounted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I saw the mechanic screwing this part back on to the engine base with his fingers but I don't remember seeing him tightening it with a wrench.
Hi Gansan, if I'm right, the part you're referring to is called an "oil filter stand", it's a piece of tubing threaded on both ends - one end accepts the oil filter & the other end is screwed into a part called an "oil adapter case" (this part is basically used to orient the oil filter vertically).

I'll put up some pics from the parts manual over the weekend for reference. Don't worry, nothing's broken & I wouldn't lose sleep over this if I were you - enjoy the long weekend

Last edited by im_srini : 25th December 2009 at 21:40.
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 21:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I'll put up some pics from the parts manual over the weekend for reference. If I were you, I wouldn't lose sleep over this - enjoy the long weekend
Eagerly awaiting your post; my first impression was that he was referring to what is sometimes called a "stud" - a nut with thread at both ends.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 22:42   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Smile Alto - F8D - Oil Filter - Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Gansan, if I'm right, the part you're referring to is called an "oil filter stand", it's a piece of tubing threaded on both ends - one end accepts the oil filter & the other end is screwed into a part called an "oil adapter case" (this part is basically used to orient the oil filter vertically).
The way the oil filter is attached to the F8D & F10D engines. Altos with F8D engines (Lxi) that are BS3 onwards (from 2005 I think) have this vertical orientation of the oil filter, the F10D Altos too have this arrangement. Older Altos with the F8D had the oil filter mounted horizontally (like in the Zen G10B engine).

Name:  Oil_Filter_Adapter_0.jpg
Views: 2415
Size:  223.7 KB

I think the part you saw falling off was the part marked 17 in the above pic. The oil filter is screwed onto this part, which in turn is screwed onto the Oil-Adapter-Case.

This is what the Oil-Adapter-Case looks like, costs only Rs.180 !?!

Name:  Oil_Filter_Adapter_1.jpg
Views: 3521
Size:  276.5 KB

Finally, an F8D engine pic from the service manual...

Name:  F8D_Engine_Pic_0.jpg
Views: 2218
Size:  272.1 KB

Last edited by im_srini : 25th December 2009 at 22:46.
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 23:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

So, the theory about "tightening the filter will automatically tighten this part" seems to be right.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 00:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its not a problem,

what the mechanic did was, while unscrewing the filter, the base side may have unwinded instead of the filter alone. this happens, nothing to worry. all you have to do is tighten it back to where it was.

For Eg: in my old 800 every time I take of my air filter, the double threaded nut comes along with it from the carb's top.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 01:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

So there you are Gansan. It is designed that way. Nothing to worry about after all. Just keep a watch for any leaks.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 07:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

@im_srini
Thank you very much. I am sure what I saw was the part #17.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 08:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Default correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Eagerly awaiting your post; my first impression was that he was referring to what is sometimes called a "stud" - a nut with thread at both ends.
Dear Backseatdriver- a stud is a bolt with thread at both ends and not a "nut with thread at both ends" as mentioned by you.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote