Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2009, 17:42   #16
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 691
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
There is no 'wire with a rubber gasket' that can leak diesel. Quite likely the return line bolt-on pipe is leaking at the seat, and this condition corrects itself when the engine bay is warm/hot.

Call the board number of Bosch Bangalore and ask for the Diesel Pump Customer Service department. They will be able to tell you where to take the vehicle to for servicing the pump. Alternately, you can go to the Mission Road office of Bosch (on the left just before the entry to the flyover) and ask them.
That's what I suspected too. Now that they are claiming that they got the wiring and the roller replaced, how do I check if they atually replaced that and also if at all it was required?
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 19:03   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

@suman
Can you tell me what work exactly they have carried out in your Safari. I cannot understand that wire thing you have told about.

I used only Normal Diesel in my Safari TCIC till now and it has gone past 1,47000kms without any pump overhaul till now.
As far as possible , run your car on normal thing like diesel, engine oil that company provides.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 23:06   #18
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 691
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@suman
Can you tell me what work exactly they have carried out in your Safari. I cannot understand that wire thing you have told about.

I used only Normal Diesel in my Safari TCIC till now and it has gone past 1,47000kms without any pump overhaul till now.
As far as possible , run your car on normal thing like diesel, engine oil that company provides.
I totally agree with that. The service advisor pointed out it was probably due to the fact that I was running on premium diesel.

From now on, I will run my safari only on normal thing like normal diesel, normal company oil etc. I think that was what it was designed for, so no point in wasting money. Hopefully it should not do any damage to engine at least.

I got the delivery of the vehicle today. I have asked them to provide details of the work carried out at the Bosch station. They will provide with the details on Monday.

The total bill was Rs. 10,135. They charged Rs. 1000 as handling charges, but for that they are providing 6 months warranty.

List of parts changed includes wiring, rotor, balls etc. I will post the list once I get the details on Monday.

The other reason pointed out by the mechanic was moisture present in fuel as that could damage the pump. Now I did not use the car for almost 4 years as I was not here. In these 4 years, the car was supposed to be maintained by a mechanic. I am sure he was keeping the tank empty and filling only when he used to take it for a short drive. So it is possible that water entered the fuel system and damaged the pump. So I will always fill from a good pump when it is close to 1/2 way mark so that there is no moisture.

Last edited by sumannandy : 31st December 2009 at 23:15.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 23:18   #19
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 703
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

diesel used to come with sulphur for lubrication . The addition of sulphur has been reduced due to emissions . Sulphur acts as a lubricant . I am not sure if this "high speed diesel " or "premium diesel " makes sense as they contain less amounts of sulphur . Most of the truckers used to mix kerosense with diesel for better pickup , but the engines and pumps used to fail prematurely . That was because kerosense was not a good lubricant . ( the diesel in the pump acts as a lubricant as well )
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 07:08   #20
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 691
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
diesel used to come with sulphur for lubrication . The addition of sulphur has been reduced due to emissions . Sulphur acts as a lubricant . I am not sure if this "high speed diesel " or "premium diesel " makes sense as they contain less amounts of sulphur . Most of the truckers used to mix kerosense with diesel for better pickup , but the engines and pumps used to fail prematurely . That was because kerosense was not a good lubricant . ( the diesel in the pump acts as a lubricant as well )
Sorry, does it mean that it is better to use normal diesel than premium diesel?
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 08:16   #21
BHPian
 
sudharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
if there is leakage you have to go for pump overhauling where they change the seals and recaliberate the pump local costs are 1500 plus labor charge of 400for removal and fitting.even with the leaks the acceleration will not be affected at this stage fe will drop for obvious reasons.
My old Tata Sierra used to have a hand pump on the fuel pump to prime the fuel pumpin case of air lock in the fuel line. If the Hand pump plunger is not tightened down, it use to leak from the stem and will stop when running.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 12:33   #22
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 703
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Sorry, does it mean that it is better to use normal diesel than premium diesel?
Yep , for older engines the normal diesel is much better , but the latest engines like the multijet , tdci are designed for HSD .
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:32   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Sorry, does it mean that it is better to use normal diesel than premium diesel?
The lubricity of Diesel does not change whether its Normal or Premium, added additives contain only some detergents for cleaning and others for better burn, lower carbon residue etc.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 18:51   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I totally agree with that. The service advisor pointed out it was probably due to the fact that I was running on premium diesel.

From now on, I will run my safari only on normal thing like normal diesel, normal company oil etc. I think that was what it was designed for, so no point in wasting money. Hopefully it should not do any damage to engine at least.

I got the delivery of the vehicle today. I have asked them to provide details of the work carried out at the Bosch station. They will provide with the details on Monday.

The total bill was Rs. 10,135. They charged Rs. 1000 as handling charges, but for that they are providing 6 months warranty.

List of parts changed includes wiring, rotor, balls etc. I will post the list once I get the details on Monday.

The other reason pointed out by the mechanic was moisture present in fuel as that could damage the pump. Now I did not use the car for almost 4 years as I was not here. In these 4 years, the car was supposed to be maintained by a mechanic. I am sure he was keeping the tank empty and filling only when he used to take it for a short drive. So it is possible that water entered the fuel system and damaged the pump. So I will always fill from a good pump when it is close to 1/2 way mark so that there is no moisture.
10,000 rs!! too much for pump repair only.
at every service i hane to spemd some 4000rs including small repairs nothing more.

Sometimes i fill diesel infact most of the time when the Fuel indicator reaches at its bottom.(1/2 below the red line), but no problems.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Sorry, does it mean that it is better to use normal diesel than premium diesel?
Yes, our indian beasts only require normal fuel like we doesnot require(inhale) pure oxygen and pure is only available for patients.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 19:37   #25
BHPian
 
akhilesh51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jaipur, RAJ
Posts: 628
Thanked: 321 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Yep , for older engines the normal diesel is much better , but the latest engines like the multijet , tdci are designed for HSD .
Not really.

Most Oil Companies would make you believe that Fuel with additives is absolutely fine and good for any vehicle. On the other hand, even today, Fuel with Additives is discouraged by Automobile manufacturers. When we took delivery of Jetta, we were specifically informed to fill only normal fuel. Most Diesel cars, especially with Common Rail engines, are supposed to be filled only with normal fuel as per manufacturers.

IMHO, it is all a marketing gimmick. Oil companies make more money by selling premium fuel so they push for the same. On the other hand, Auto manufacturers who usually have tie up with some or the other company for engine flush, fuel additives discourage premium fuel in order to push sales in workshop.

It is similar to the engine oil fiasco. Auto maufacturers' void warranty if recommended oil is not used even though two different brands of oils may essentially be of same composition.

How much these things effect actual life of vehicle is hazy.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 10:55   #26
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 691
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

I still do not know why this problem happened. But obviously the premium fuel or the cleaning did not help me to increase the life of the pump. Since it does not make any difference, I am going to use normal diesel only and stop throwing my money.

I got my car back. But I think the power is little less than it was earlier. Plus the vehicle has developed rattles. Everytime it goes over a bump, the driver side rattles badly. Interior was also not cleaned.

I do not know how could they manage to develop rattles in my car. All I asked them to do was to check the fuel leakage problem.

Need to check with them for all the issues.

I again feel that the service level is going down. If anybody is aware of a good service center in Bangalore, let me know. Thanks in advance.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 16:13   #27
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 703
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Not really.

Most Oil Companies would make you believe that Fuel with additives is absolutely fine and good for any vehicle. On the other hand, even today, Fuel with Additives is discouraged by Automobile manufacturers. When we took delivery of Jetta, we were specifically informed to fill only normal fuel. Most Diesel cars, especially with Common Rail engines, are supposed to be filled only with normal fuel as per manufacturers.

IMHO, it is all a marketing gimmick. Oil companies make more money by selling premium fuel so they push for the same. On the other hand, Auto manufacturers who usually have tie up with some or the other company for engine flush, fuel additives discourage premium fuel in order to push sales in workshop.

It is similar to the engine oil fiasco. Auto maufacturers' void warranty if recommended oil is not used even though two different brands of oils may essentially be of same composition.

How much these things effect actual life of vehicle is hazy.
Sorry for not being clear abt my post . What i meant was modern crdi diesel engines are designed in mind keeping emission norms and with regard to that the engine components are made so that they can operate with lesser amounts of sulphur .
So normal diesel today is good enough for CRDI . The premium fuels stuff , i dont know much , so cant really comment .
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 11:53   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,964
Thanked: 1,720 Times
Default

[quote=sumannandy;1661866
I again feel that the service level is going down. If anybody is aware of a good service center in Bangalore, let me know. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Hey Suman,
Thats some amount of struggle that you ve gone through. I would still recommend Concorde Bangalore as they have the technical know how but are a careless lot.
In case you feel you want to give them a chance, PM me or call me on: 9243466235 and I will accompany you there. I personally know all the staff including the GM and their Service Managers and will see to it that they pay due attention to your vehicle this time.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 11:58   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

bad to hear this

even My Dad's DLG V2 Turbo Indica had problemS with the Fuel Pump about 6 months ago - luckily the major cost of replacement was handled by the extended warranty.

looks like the Tata guys would do well to look into the QC of their Fuel Pump vendor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I still do not know why this problem happened. But obviously the premium fuel or the cleaning did not help me to increase the life of the pump.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 11:12   #30
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 691
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hey Suman,
Thats some amount of struggle that you ve gone through. I would still recommend Concorde Bangalore as they have the technical know how but are a careless lot.
In case you feel you want to give them a chance, PM me or call me on: 9243466235 and I will accompany you there. I personally know all the staff including the GM and their Service Managers and will see to it that they pay due attention to your vehicle this time.
Thank you. I think the work they did was not great. There is a starting problem (laboured starting) developed fresh and the fuel economy also dropped.

They are sending a driver today to pick up the car from my residence and rectify the problem what they should have done in the service itself.

I will let you know if I need any help.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diesel leakage in my car! raptor3624 Technical Stuff 15 5th July 2017 20:15
diesel leakage zenopio Technical Stuff 0 20th November 2007 23:18
Water Leakage ~ H O N D A ~ Technical Stuff 20 4th October 2007 09:52
What to choose safari petrol or Safari diesel 2.2L 007 Bond SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 22 31st August 2007 21:56
ohc power steering oil leakage vinodbijlani Technical Stuff 10 10th August 2006 17:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks