Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th December 2009, 10:59   #1
BHPian

Default Fuel gauge problems Maruti 800 5-Speed MPFI

I have a Maruti 800 5 Speed MPFI (2002) yesterday I fully tanked up at Shell but the fuel gauge moved up to just above the halfway mark.

This is the first time the gauge is showing less fuel that what is actually there in the car.

Guys what can be the possible issue here ?
I read is some blogs that fuel gauge is attached to the fuel pump and both have to be replaced.

What is the approx cost of replacement or are there any desi ways to fix it ?
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 18:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

The Fuel gauge consists of 2 units :

1. The Sending Unit

2. The Gauge

The resistor in the Sending Unit may gone kaput.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 18:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Is your temperature guage working properly.If not then surely the guage thingy is not working .Have a mechanic inspect that , if that's fine then the float is what you should be looking at.It is located in the fuel tank and i don't think it will be much of a problem to get it replaced.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 19:29   #4
BHPian

Yes. You need to change the float in the petrol tank. I have faced the same problem and it is fixed by replacing the float.

Last edited by Ramesh75 : 29th December 2009 at 19:31.
Ramesh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 22:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Is your temperature guage working properly.If not then surely the guage thingy is not working .Have a mechanic inspect that , if that's fine then the float is what you should be looking at.It is located in the fuel tank and i don't think it will be much of a problem to get it replaced.
Well my temperature gauge is working fine & even I am getting reading on the fuel gauge ; only thing is that it is not showing correct reading. Full tank is showing around 60% full only...
Old 29th December 2009, 22:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh75 View Post
Yes. You need to change the float in the petrol tank. I have faced the same problem and it is fixed by replacing the float.
To replace the float does it require to remove the fuel tank completely ?
Old 29th December 2009, 23:04   #7
BHPian

check the underbody for dents on your fuel tank. its very common in the M-8. alternatively since it has happened only once, float might just be stuck. wait till you consume this fuel and refill to confirm. if it rectifies then to avoid in future, while refilling shake the car gently to avoid air pockets which can jam a float.
gultajkanwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 10:26   #8
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Fuel gauge problems Maruti 800 5-Speed MPFI

please help... i have a maruti 800 done 65K kilometers. My fuel gauge is giving problems. sometimes it shows the needle at end of the reserve mark, once the car is started it moves to the half way mark and some times to the mark just before full.
can someone help me out with it..?? what could be the problem..?? float or the register..??
If i could get help on where to fix it in chennai.. i'd be rather happy.
thank you.
bilalsyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 12:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Fuel gauge problems Maruti 800 5-Speed MPFI

You should have the float checked/replaced since that should be the likely cause.

Since the reading is wavering, have the float-register wiring checked too.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 12:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilalsyed View Post
My fuel gauge is giving problems. sometimes it shows the needle at end of the reserve mark, once the car is started it moves to the half way mark and some times to the mark just before full.
can someone help me out with it..?? what could be the problem..?? float or the register..??
The needle in my fuel gauge (Tata Indigo 2005, Petrol) works fine after filling up the tank, and till the tank gets just less than half empty. In lesser than half empty state it starts to behave irregularly, sometime going to red markings, sometime showing almost empty levels. Is it also due to defective a float? Are these floats available in all big spares shops and how much do they approximately cost?
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 14:49   #11
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Bumping an old thread for some advice on a fuel gauge problem in our M800.
Last month, the fuel gauge stopped working one day.
After the next fuel refill, it started working again and then stopped after 3-4 days.
Following week the car was due for service and the problem was noted in the job card.
During the service, the float assembly was removed, checked and refitted.
This fixed the problem for a few days and it again stopped working.
Took it to the mechanic today, he checked the wiring below the rear seat which was fine (connectivity check with instrument cluster) and also checked fuses in fuse panel which was also fine. He suggested taking it to an automobile electrician nearby who checked quickly by short circuiting the wire and there was no movement of the gauge.

He has asked me to get the car tomorrow and said he will need to remove and check the float as well as the instrument cluster.

I somehow am not confident about these guys and not sure if they know what they're doing. Any recommendations for a good place in Eastern/Central part of Bangalore to have this checked ? (I'm a little wary of going to the MASS).

Last edited by NPV : 20th September 2014 at 14:52.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 09:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
He suggested taking it to an automobile electrician nearby who checked quickly by short circuiting the wire and there was no movement of the gauge.

He has asked me to get the car tomorrow and said he will need to remove and check the float as well as the instrument cluster.
Shorting the fuel sender terminal to ground (-ve) should show full tank at the instrument. He is doing it right. Go to him, seems like he knows what he is doing.
ilangop is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote