Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th May 2010, 20:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy3660 View Post
The noise from steering column became quite prominent at 68000kms and whenever i hit potholes theres a huge thud as if the shockups not able to bear the weight and and thus making huge sound. I have shown it to another service station from which i recently changed my clutch plate, they opened the steering column and suspension and told me that these changes are required:
1. 2 front shock ups
2. steering ball joints and something called as tirodent from steering column
3. 2 front lower arms

And it could cost me approx 18000/- rs.

Suggestions please.
Do they really need to change all the parts of front suspension system. those are all of them, only left is stablizer bar.

here are the parts cost. Swift suspension parts are very expensive.
1. Lower trailing arm Rs. 1300 each
2. Tierod end 1150 each
3. Tierod 1750 each
4. McPherson strut along with kit minus the springs Rs. 1950 a piece.

Now do the math. Also do get a second opinion. Unlike some of us you live in a metro, you have lot of options.

To check the Struts yourself, do a bit of search, i have posted numerous times in other threads.

To check if tierod ends and rods are okay, put the car on a plain surface. Cemented surface recommended, now vigorously turn left and right, like the kids do. If you hear kit-kit noise the rods and its ends are probably gone.

BTW also an expert alignment wala will be able to pinpoint this easily just by looking. This is the thing that is fiddled while doing wheel alignment.

Last edited by SirAlec : 26th May 2010 at 20:33.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 02:05   #17
BHPian

thanks SirAlec you are of great help. I will check and report back.
samy3660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 18:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
To check if tierod ends and rods are okay, put the car on a plain surface. Cemented surface recommended, now vigorously turn left and right, like the kids do. If you hear kit-kit noise the rods and its ends are probably gone.
I had checked this while at standstill position and also at 25-30kmph speed and i have heard no sound let a lone kit kit. So i think tie rods are ok, Right??

I had also checked the struts like you have mentioned in some thread by pushing the car from bonnet on the right and left side, the car just comes up once and doesn't go up and and down more than one time. So i think the struts are also ok, right??

And lastly i have shown it another advisor and we rectified the issue by replacing the bearings of front wheel left side costed me 715 for bearing and 250 labour.

The steering column noise is still there, the advisor said theres the "cross bearing" in the column which is making this noise whenever the car hits a pot hole and that it needs to be repaired. He told me this will cost around 2000 bucks. I will do this in next service.

Thanks
samy3660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 21:40   #19
BHPian

Default Swift steering assembly changed no information from maruti

I own a swift zdi ,it is probably one of the early birds as far as zdi model is concerned. I have clocked 10000 + Kms and this was my third free service.i noticed a wired sound from front right side and hence I did mentioned it to the service advisor.

The service advisor test drove the vehicle to get the taste of the issue but he said hat very thing was fine.

I insisted him to re check the vehicle during the service and let me know if there was a problem, and he agreed to do that.

Out of curiousity I paid a surprise visit to the dealership before my delivery time and I saw five people from maruti sitting inside my car and doing a thorough inspection, the service advisor told me that we realised that " something Is wrong with your car" and hence we have called people from maruti and they are doing the inspection and you shall be getting your car tomorrow .
The other I got a call from he service advisor that my car is ready and I can get it back, when I went to the dealership I was told that entire steering assembly was changed under warranty . I asked the service advisor that what was the problem with my car ?

To my surprise he just told me that this is known better by maruti people but we h ave changed the entire assembly through the vendor and we cannot tell you anything other than that.

Please share if any of new swift owner is facing such problem and don't I have he right to know the route cause of the problem though I do not have to pay for it.
vc.vinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 23:22   #20
BHPian

Default Re: Swift steering assembly changed no information from maruti

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc.vinay View Post
I own a swift zdi ,it is probably one of the early birds as far as zdi model is concerned. I have clocked 10000 + Kms and this was my third free service.i noticed a wired sound from front right side and hence I did mentioned it to the service advisor.

The service advisor test drove the vehicle to get the taste of the issue but he said hat very thing was fine.

I insisted him to re check the vehicle during the service and let me know if there was a problem, and he agreed to do that.

Out of curiousity I paid a surprise visit to the dealership before my delivery time and I saw five people from maruti sitting inside my car and doing a thorough inspection, the service advisor told me that we realised that " something Is wrong with your car" and hence we have called people from maruti and they are doing the inspection and you shall be getting your car tomorrow .
The other I got a call from he service advisor that my car is ready and I can get it back, when I went to the dealership I was told that entire steering assembly was changed under warranty . I asked the service advisor that what was the problem with my car ?

To my surprise he just told me that this is known better by maruti people but we h ave changed the entire assembly through the vendor and we cannot tell you anything other than that.

Please share if any of new swift owner is facing such problem and don't I have he right to know the route cause of the problem though I do not have to pay for it.
Maruti *SS is answerable to you even if the steering assembly was changed under warranty. They are supposed to give/ explain you a complete account of work done on your car. Even the feedback form has a section asking if the SA has clearly explained the repairs done on your car. Put them to task; and do share this info with us. BTW which MASS is this?
beast_within is offline   Reply With Quote