Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th December 2009, 12:59   #1
BHPian

Default Steering assembly issue in swift vdi

Hi guys,
I will start from beginning so you guys could get proper understanding. I have recently (10th july, 09) purchased a used Swift Vdi Pearl white and it had 55000 kms on the ODO. It was in good condition everything ok just minor scratches and gear problem which was corrected from MASS.

Then after first service at around 58000km i changed the tyres to yokohama ES100 195/65/R15 on honda city vtec's rim. Now the problem is when i went for the service 3 days ago, everything was working fine, i had also cleaned the turbo and all, and at the time of delivery the service guy said the car had some noise in steering assembly. I asked him to explain and he said that there's some play in steering assembly and that is only 5% and the car would run fine till 100000 kms, it will only make some noise. And the assembly cannot be repaired, i will have to buy the new assembly which will cost me Rs. 28000/-.

When i purchased the car there wasn't any of such issues and it was running on stock tyres. Now i began to think the car has got quite old and the steering assembly and all got old and can't bear the weight increase in tyres. And the steering has also got quite stiff after tyre upgrade.

Now guys want your feedback as in i will have to go for tyre change in my qualis which has done 126000 kms. Can i put this tyres in my qualis and go back to 14 inch rims and smaller tyres in swift probably 185 profile??
Will this change help my steering assembly and avoid future problems in suspension?? And let me tell you, i have heard some noise while on bad roads when turning like krrrr but i am not sure if that is steering assembly noise.

Waiting for suggestion ASAP.
Thanks
samy3660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 15:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy3660 View Post

Then after first service at around 58000km i changed the tyres to yokohama ES100 195/65/R15 on honda city vtec's rim.

Now guys want your feedback as in i will have to go for tyre change in my qualis which has done 126000 kms. Can i put this tyres in my qualis and go back to 14 inch rims and smaller tyres in swift probably 185 profile??
Will this change help my steering assembly and avoid future problems in suspension?? And let me tell you, i have heard some noise while on bad roads when turning like krrrr but i am not sure if that is steering assembly noise.

Waiting for suggestion ASAP.
Thanks
As far as I know,195/70r14 or205/65R15 would be a right upgrade for the Qualis;but even 195/65R15 would be fine.Just make sure that the PCD of Qualis and swift rims is the same(100mm)

If the PCDs match,you can put the Swift rims+tyres onto the Qualis,and use the Qualis rims and put new 185/70R14 tyres for the Swift.

It appears that one of your wheel joints(axle) in the swift needs replacement(hence the krrrr sound) - just check if it is the left or right

If you hear some krrr noise while moving the steering at standstill position with engine running,then it has to be a worn out rack/pinion

Last edited by vigsom : 29th December 2009 at 15:50. Reason: addition
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 16:18   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion.
But will the downsizing really gonna help, or it is just meant to happen in the old age??? Cause i really love this tyres!!

Quote:
It appears that one of your wheel joints(axle) in the swift needs replacement(hence the krrrr sound) - just check if it is the left or right

If you hear some krrr noise while moving the steering at standstill position with engine running,then it has to be a worn out rack/pinion
I will check that, and inform you. And what about the Service advisor's opinion that the whole assembly needs replacement, is it true or he just isn't knowledgeable to pin point the target??
Old 29th December 2009, 23:59   #4
BHPian

I have checked the steering while the engine was running in a standstill position, and theres no noise.
Old 30th December 2009, 10:37   #5
Team-BHP Support

Its just the steering damper noise i guess, almost 90% of MUL vehicle has this problem. Its a very minor irritant which gives a khtak sound when you hit potholes, mostly heard when steering is off dead center. Temporary solution is to tighten the damper.

Please ignore the whole sound, if this is the issue.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 12:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And what about the Service advisor's opinion that the whole assembly needs replacement, is it true or he just isn't knowledgeable to pin point the target??
Knowing Japanese cars to be well engineered and reliable,there is never a need to replace anything just like that.Service advisors typically advise the best solution which is least time consuming.

Don't worry - spend a little time and effort(you can consult some Techies from the forum in Mumbai) and get to the exact problem - it will save you a lot OF CASH(which can be used to celebrate)
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 22:46   #7
BHPian

Thanks for all the advice and suggestion visgom and jaggu. So I don't need to change my beloved tyres??
Old 1st January 2010, 00:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have seen, and here in tbhp too. tyre upgrade is just a usual and common. The mass guy is right about the 28k for the whole assembly. But have you heard the sound itself or experience play on the steering yourself.

There are other reasons for hard steering too.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 02:08   #9
BANNED

[quote=samy3660;1655483]Hi guys,
I will start from beginning so you guys could get proper understanding. I have recently (10th july, 09) purchased a used Swift Vdi Pearl white and it had 55000 kms on the ODO. It was in good condition everything ok just minor scratches and gear problem which was corrected from MASS.

Then after first service at around 58000km i changed the tyres to yokohama ES100 195/65/R15 on honda city vtec's rim. Now the problem is when i went for the service 3 days ago, everything was working fine, i had also cleaned the turbo and all, and at the time of delivery the service guy said the car had some noise in steering assembly. I asked him to explain and he said that there's some play in steering assembly and that is only 5% and the car would run fine till 100000 kms, it will only make some noise. And the assembly cannot be repaired, i will have to buy the new assembly which will cost me Rs. 28000/-.

When i purchased the car there wasn't any of such issues and it was running on stock tyres. Now i began to think the car has got quite old and the steering assembly and all got old and can't bear the weight increase in tyres. And the steering has also got quite stiff after tyre upgrade.

Did you change the tyres or the rims also ? Did you have the honda city rims earlier with the older tyres as well ? If the rims were also changed the offset might have changed and that might be the reason for the steering becoming hard . Please check your shock absorbers and struts for the noise and also the suspension components like bushes .

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 1st January 2010 at 02:09.
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 19:48   #10
BHPian

I have changed the tyres with the rims. And from tomorrow i started to notice a toowww... kind of noise, which you will often notice in a taxi. I think that was the noise the advisor was talking about. That happens when the car moves from uneven place, and not everytime. Its very hard to notice. So guys what do you say, change the tyres?? Or the tyres isn't the culprit?? Cause before upgrading i have very thoroughly read the reviews and everybody said 195/65/R15 is the right upgrade for swift.

Thankyou for your responses
Old 1st January 2010, 20:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I have changed the tyres with the rims. And from tomorrow i started to notice a toowww... kind of noise, which you will often notice in a taxi. I think that was the noise the advisor was talking about. That happens when the car moves from uneven place, and not everytime. Its very hard to notice. So guys what do you say, change the tyres?? Or the tyres isn't the culprit?? Cause before upgrading i have very thoroughly read the reviews and everybody said 195/65/R15 is the right upgrade for swift.

Thankyou for your responses
195/60/15 is the right size, do check it in mod section.195/65 is not correct.
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 21:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
195/60/15 is the right size, do check it in mod section.195/65 is not correct.
is it a big difference??
Old 4th January 2010, 00:44   #13
BHPian

ohh the tyre size is 195/60/R15 and not 195/65/15. And guys to my horror i found out the nut on right side rear tyre was loose, and that too at extent that i could remove it with my hands. I was on my way home when i found out, the car was making very wierd noise like of rickshaw. Now i'll first go and check alignment balancing and rotation and then see if the noise is back??

Thanks
Old 6th January 2010, 18:01   #14
BHPian

I have done rotation and alignment and now i will see if the noise is gone. I hope the loose nut should be the only culprit.
Thanks
Old 26th May 2010, 13:42   #15
BHPian

The noise from steering column became quite prominent at 68000kms and whenever i hit potholes theres a huge thud as if the shockups not able to bear the weight and and thus making huge sound. I have shown it to another service station from which i recently changed my clutch plate, they opened the steering column and suspension and told me that these changes are required:
1. 2 front shock ups
2. steering ball joints and something called as tirodent from steering column
3. 2 front lower arms

And it could cost me approx 18000/- rs.

Suggestions please.